• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you count sub-species as seperate ticks on your life list? (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
I tend to count sub-species seperately - not a full tick.

I am wondering how others here view this.

My life list (started this year) is at 119 plus 2 sub-species. I have seen both the Red-shafted and Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker and have seen the Slate and Oregon Dark-eyed Junco.

I only count full species for life /year/ etc. list. However, when I enter a sighting, if it is a distinguishable subspecie, I add the subspecie name in a notes column. Then, years (or days) from now when a subspecie is split / lumped, I can easily update my sighting.

Only to do my mates head in cos he failed to connect with the two sub sp caudatus Long Tail Tits that were chipping around Easington, E Yorks recently.

( Easy Meggy big ting a gwarn bwoy!!;) )

Dave B Smith said:
I only count full species for life /year/ etc. list. However, when I enter a sighting, if it is a distinguishable subspecie, I add the subspecie name in a notes column. Then, years (or days) from now when a subspecie is split / lumped, I can easily update my sighting.

Birders who enter their lists on websites such as this or Surfbirds, or who submit them to ABA or BOU for publication adhere to the "official" rules, i.e., full species only.

However, as stated above, most keep good notes about subspecies, either for their own interests in learning about the differences and/or to have a clear record in the event of a future split.

This list of subspecies kept in hopes of a split that would add a bird to a life list is often called the Escrow List.

Good birding,
Phalarope

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back