• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cabaret or flammea? (1 Viewer)

KenM

This am NE.London...a very brief visit two shots same bird.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1810661.jpeg  Redpoll sp 2..jpg
    P1810661.jpeg Redpoll sp 2..jpg
    357 KB · Views: 126
  • P1810664.jpeg  Redpoll sp 1..jpg
    P1810664.jpeg Redpoll sp 1..jpg
    345 KB · Views: 99
When first seen it was in heavy shadow, and being an irregular taxa to my site, I generally default to C.cabaret...unless other features are observed (size/general paleness etc.).
However, I was struck by the amount of “apparent” white shown in the raised wing image, although I have seen cabaret with small areas of white in the rump before, this seemed a little excessive, what a buggersome group they are!...will keep my eyes peeled.

Cheers

When first seen it was in heavy shadow, and being an irregular taxa to my site, I generally default to C.cabaret...unless other features are observed (size/general paleness etc.).
However, I was struck by the amount of “apparent” white shown in the raised wing image, although I have seen cabaret with small areas of white in the rump before, this seemed a little excessive, what a buggersome group they are!...will keep my eyes peeled.

Cheers

Lump em all I say!

Seriously, there had been talk that a lump was imminent but it didn't happen. Given this, it's hardly likely that a further split will happen so why the fixation with e.g Coue's which regularly come on as a rarity, surely it is and will remain, just a race?

Lump em all I say!

Seriously, there had been talk that a lump was imminent but it didn't happen. Given this, it's hardly likely that a further split will happen so why the fixation with e.g Coue's which regularly come on as a rarity, surely it is and will remain, just a race?

I think if you ''lump em all'' Andy, you can lose out on the romance of ''from whence they came?'' which for me along with the ''finding of'', is the very essence of birding!

I mean....could you really lump these two together....I would find it very difficult. :eek!:

Attachments

• Def.pale Redpoll No.2 full frontal grab.jpg
    Def.pale Redpoll No.2 full frontal grab.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back