• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher, SW Ecuador (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Near the Rio Bulu Bulu Bridge

I think I know what it is, but have learned not to trust myself with flycatchers.

Niels

Attachments

• Flycatcher P1130890.jpg
    Flycatcher P1130890.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 38
I thought it would be one of the Kiskadees. When I saw it live, I had an impression of a bird larger than SoFly, and i also felt there were rufous edges on primaries. The latter can be explained by it being young?

Niels

Color is admittedly hard to interpret as the photo is quite backlit and the color a bit washed out. Still, to my eye, the face is quite black as opposed to dusky/sooty gray, the coverts lack pale fringing, and there is rufous fringing on the flight feathers and perhaps on the tail. All this would make me lean towards Rusty-margined Flycatcher over Social in this case. Though I don't know the exact site, that area appears to be near Guayaquil and the Churute mangroves, an area where Rusty-margined is also expected. If I'm wrong on where your site is, Niels, that could change all my calculations rapidly!

I thought it would be one of the Kiskadees. When I saw it live, I had an impression of a bird larger than SoFly, and i also felt there were rufous edges on primaries. The latter can be explained by it being young?

Niels

On the bill it is definitely a Social/Rusty-margined. Either Kiskadee would have a much longer bill.

Young Social Flycatchers can show some rufous edging on the wing but they should show it on the coverts as well. I still think it looks like a textbook adult Rusty-margined Flycatcher, but with just one photo it is hard to be 100% positive. As is frequently the case, voice is the easiest way to separate these species.

Also this is a good case to beware when looking for comparison photos online. The percentage of mis-ID'd photos of Social, RM, Lesser and Greater Kiskadee, Gray-capped, and Boat-billed is quite high.

You are correct in this being about 30 kilometers from Guayaquil. It is a location known for Chestnut-collared Swallow in the old online site guide (and they were still there). I may have some others with a different head turn, but otherwise same angle.

Niels

The most different image is the one attached here. I have had to lighten both this and the previously uploaded image quite a lot due to the backlight. This image again shows some of the rufous that made me to shy away from SoFl

thanks for any further comments as well as those up to this. I do not remember any vocalizations - don't think I head any from this bird. (I did hear the six Pacific Parrotlet that flew behind me ;) )

Niels

Niels

Attachments

• Flycathcer B P1130889.JPG
    Flycathcer B P1130889.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 18
And by the way: I am aware of the danger in trying to judge size when in a different environment. I do, however, believe we are all guilty of that sometimes ;)

Niels

On the bill it is definitely a Social/Rusty-margined. Either Kiskadee would have a much longer bill.

Young Social Flycatchers can show some rufous edging on the wing but they should show it on the coverts as well. I still think it looks like a textbook adult Rusty-margined Flycatcher, but with just one photo it is hard to be 100% positive. As is frequently the case, voice is the easiest way to separate these species.

it is what I see

And that makes 3. What do you think it is Niels?

Changing allegiance: admit my first response was more in response to the idea this might be a kiskadee and so didn't check as carefully as I might. As well as the other arguments (especially mask shadow for me, fact there is no rounded rear grading into dark grey) I'm persuaded by mantle colour that this is rusty-margined fly. I don't see rufous edging on the coverts but the photo is bad for this and I hardly see it in the primaries (this is one reason I asked Niels what he thought it was: rufous more obvious in flight)

I still lean towards Rusty-margined but not with 100% confidence. To my eye there is no where near enough color fringing on the coverts or the secondaries to make me think this is a juvenile bird.

here's a Social (or what I thought was a Social) in Panama for comparison

Attachments

• socialpty2.jpg
    socialpty2.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 10
  • socialpty1.jpg
    socialpty1.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 14
Hello Tanagra,
your bird is showing a yellow central crown which excludes Social Fly: their central crown is usually vermilion, less commonly orange-red. (this according to the Ridgley field guide for Panama - the situation might be different somewhere else).

Niels

Hello Tanagra,
your bird is showing a yellow central crown which excludes Social Fly: their central crown is usually vermilion, less commonly orange-red. (this according to the Ridgley field guide for Panama - the situation might be different somewhere else).

Niels

Look at that.. To me it also seems too rufous vs the more olive back and wings of the Social. (edit): So looks like mine is also a Rusty-Margined flycatcher LOL

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back