• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica : La Fortuna : Early February (1 Viewer)

Indobirder

Attachments

• 0Y7A3215.jpg
    0Y7A3215.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 0Y7A3218.JPG
    0Y7A3218.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 0Y7A2468.jpg
    0Y7A2468.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 0Y7A2467.jpg
    0Y7A2467.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 0Y7A2469.jpg
    0Y7A2469.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 53
I might be completely wrong but 5 have some similarity to a barred becard female

Niels

I see where you're coming from but I don't think it's that. We should see a clearer transition from crown to nape and s bigger more uniform rufous wrong panel I think

[Edit] I thought it might be olive-striped fly but I'm not wholly convinced of this either

Last edited:
Elevation is about 500m I think. So, would be unlikely I think there. How about White-winged Becard? looks pretty close to me.

The images I can find of a female are from south America and show a mantle that is too rufous compared to yours. However, did you find any images that are within the region?

Niels

The images I can find of a female are from south America and show a mantle that is too rufous compared to yours. However, did you find any images that are within the region?

Niels

Yes I agree. if we're sticking with the female becard theory, female black and white is a better bet. Ebird suggests there are records from that part of CR [I only looked at the coarse resolution map, though]

Range map of white-winged shows far more records in the area... https://ebird.org/caribbean/map/whw...mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2020

Here are images of females in CR: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?tax...CR)&regionCode=CR&sex=f&q=White-winged Becard

The second image here doesn't show much rufous as far as I can see... https://ebird.org/species/whwbec1

Your record, your choice, but those images show a brown/rufous mantle or mantle patch which your image doesn't have. I'm talking about the area on the "shoulder" just above the folded wing. This is clear on the ebird headline image (last link). It's sometimes unclear or invisible on the other images but in those cases we can tell it's due to lighting: the lighting on your images is good and helps us tell your bird is olive there

I am with the Fern here. I think that the danger of ebird is that sometimes, semi rare observations get changed (wrongly) into the more common species. I would make an ebird report and upload the picture as evidence to see what the local reviewer feels about it.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back