• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (5 Viewers)

Great stuff ! en route from Area 51 !?! :eek!: o:)

Chosun :gh:

U-2s are now based at Fairford according to some (previously they have passed through on regular exchanges between CONUS and points East).

That's the first time I've ever seen one with the satcom hump on its back. Stunner, even in the late dusk! :t:

John

Suspect quite straightforward for those in the know......almost forgot this (yesterday)....can't recall seeing this military chopper'' before?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2180040.jpeg    A grdn. Chopper.jpeg
    P2180040.jpeg A grdn. Chopper.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 39
I assume that prevailing weather conditions dictate which flight path these take in and out of Broughton; today it took them over the village, where I managed to catch them from the garden. (The XL came over even lower as it was landing, but I wasn't quick enough grabbing the camera before it disappeared behind trees.)

Attachments

• IMG_5369.JPG
    IMG_5369.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5380.JPG
    IMG_5380.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5388.JPG
    IMG_5388.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 32
I assume that prevailing weather conditions dictate which flight path these take in and out of Broughton; today it took them over the village, where I managed to catch them from the garden. (The XL came over even lower as it was landing, but I wasn't quick enough grabbing the camera before it disappeared behind trees.)

Gripping!

John

Confined to my back garden this is my recent best:

Attachments

• 20200327 (12)_ZA681_Boeing_Chinook_HC6A.JPG
    20200327 (12)_ZA681_Boeing_Chinook_HC6A.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 26
Lest I forget, a couple of shots taken during lockdown whilst waiting for Spring migrants to arrive.

Thought the ''cargo'' plane looked a bit military? Unfortunately the light was very hazy on the day.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2190876.jpeg     Aeroplane 1..jpeg
    P2190876.jpeg Aeroplane 1..jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P2190240.jpeg    Chopper 1..jpeg
    P2190240.jpeg Chopper 1..jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 40
We have had an RAF C-17 doing practice "touch and go" landings at Manchester this week.
I was going to post a link to the Manchester Evening News website but it’s a poor website and packed with advertising

We have had an RAF C-17 doing practice "touch and go" landings at Manchester this week.
I was going to post a link to the Manchester Evening News website but it’s a poor website and packed with advertising

I've seen C-130s going to Gatwick too. I think (speculation alert) the RAF is taking advantage of the quiet to send crews where they wouldn't normally go. There are training and operational advantages: with many fewer bases of their own its too easy for crews to get into a rut doing the same thing in the same place, and it allows them to experience civilian procedures and learn places they may need to go in a sudden emergency.

John

Lest I forget, a couple of shots taken during lockdown whilst waiting for Spring migrants to arrive.

Thought the ''cargo'' plane looked a bit military? Unfortunately the light was very hazy on the day.

Cheers

Boeing C-17 and an Army Air Corps Wildcat helicopter.

John

A few military helicopters that have graced my airspace since lockdown.

John

ZZ385 Army Air Corps Wildcat
ZZ392 following ZZ385 in well-spaced trail
ZH902 RAF Chinook HC5 (the very wide sponsons compared to a normal Chinook hold fuel for extra long range)
ZZ385 again, heading South this time
ZZ518 Royal Navy Wildcat, note surveillance radar dome under the nose

Attachments

• 20200331 (2)_ZZ385_AgustaWestland_AW159_Wildcat_AH1.JPG
    20200331 (2)_ZZ385_AgustaWestland_AW159_Wildcat_AH1.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200331 (4)_ZZ392_AgustaWestland_AW159_Wildcat_AH1.JPG
    20200331 (4)_ZZ392_AgustaWestland_AW159_Wildcat_AH1.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200402 (24)_ZH902_Boeing_Chinook_HC5.JPG
    20200402 (24)_ZH902_Boeing_Chinook_HC5.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200405 (23)_ZZ385_AgustaWestland_Wildcat_AH1.JPG
    20200405 (23)_ZZ385_AgustaWestland_Wildcat_AH1.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200406 (2)_ZZ518_AgustaWestland_Wildcat_HMA2.JPG
    20200406 (2)_ZZ518_AgustaWestland_Wildcat_HMA2.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 22
Surprisingly I noticed a couple of small private single prop. planes yesterday afternoon before a fairly low approach by an Embraer ERJ on finals into Norwich from Aberdeen. USAF have been active midweek, fast jets, transport, tankers and the still very odd Osprey - not the type I was hoping for.

Surprisingly I noticed a couple of small private single prop. planes yesterday afternoon before a fairly low approach by an Embraer ERJ on finals into Norwich from Aberdeen. USAF have been active midweek, fast jets, transport, tankers and the still very odd Osprey - not the type I was hoping for.

Yes, very little GA but not none. It does seem a little odd but no doubt there is a reasonable explanation. Fast jets do not come into our area :C

John

Yes, very little GA but not none. It does seem a little odd but no doubt there is a reasonable explanation. Fast jets do not come into our area :C

John

For a bit of nostalgia John, check out the YouTube videos that you can summon up (pentacle not needed, quite unlike the Dennis Wheatley stories) by typing Farnborough 1948 (and subsequent years) into Mr Google.

Look out for the Rogers Aviation small airliner powered by four slim turboprop engines...
MJN

Last edited:
For a bit of nostalgia John, check out the YouTube videos that you can summon up (pentacle not needed, quite unlike the Dennis Wheatley stories) by typing Franborough 1948 (and subsequent years) into Mr Google.

Look out for the Rogers Aviation small airliner powered by four slim turboprop engines...
MJN

Nothing against Fran, but does Farnborough not work better? 3:)

I've seen some over the years (notably the one with Roly Falk's legendary performance in the Vulcan) but never sat down to do a comprehensive job. One more idea for evenings that drag... :t:

John

Nothing against Fran, but does Farnborough not work better? 3:)

John

Another two-finger-fingerpigs on my part!:t:
MJB
PS There's a very sporty Canberra routine in the 1950 newsreels. Also lots of air-to-air shots out of the back of the prototype Beverley (A tank to Calais or a Boy Scout to Australia).

Last edited:
There back, just had an osprey from the window, oh! hang on its the wrong type 😂

Well, it is an American Osprey, although not Pandion carolinensis**...;);)
MJB
**Reference
Monti, F, O Duriez, V Arnal, J-M Dominici, A Sforzi, L Fusani, D Grémillet and C Montgelard. 2015.Being cosmopolitan: evolutionary history and phylogeography of a specialized raptor, the Osprey Pandion haliaetus. BMC Evol. Biol. 15: 255. doi 10.1186/s12862-015-0535-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back