• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler in Tehran, Iran (1 Viewer)

Actually, my first guess was Olive Tree Warbler, but at least, its size was bigger than Olive. I attach more photos, maybe it is helpful. I also attach the first photo without crop, so maybe it shows the size :)

Attachments

• IMG_9265.jpg
    IMG_9265.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9266.jpg
    IMG_9266.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9269.JPG
    IMG_9269.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9270.JPG
    IMG_9270.JPG
    945.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9263.JPG
    IMG_9263.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
It looks very big, Upchers 14-15cm, O-t W 16-18cm.

O-t W is 'regular' in Turkey, would Tehran be such a stretch?

Last edited:
Oh, I see. I thought you meant Olivaceous Warbler! and I don't know why I can't find O-t-w in my book about birds of Iran. I should search more, because I am confused right now. Thank you for your help.

Upcher's Warbler.

Well outside of range of Olive-tree Daniel.

Grahame

When I lived in Dubai, Upchers was a very numerous migrant around this time of year. The easiest way to spot the species was it habit of swinging its tail, something of course doesn't come across in a photo.

Both species look big IMO compared to Olivaceous, but Olive-tree is slow and ponderous in actions whilst Upcher's is still quite lively.

I cant see anything in this photo's to exclude Upchers, which is the default in Iran at this time and to my eyes there are number of features that don't fit Olive-tree (which I am less familiar with); the primary projection is too short, the bill is not big enough, the eyestripe is too long behind the eye, there is not enough contrast to the cheeks.

To be honest, I didn't pay attention to the tail, because I was surprised to see a large warbler, but I can say it fast fast and didn't give me much time for observation.

upcher's warbler for me too. apart from the unlikeliness of an olive-tree warbler in tehran, this bird has a supercillium extending behind eye, primaries don't look blackish (dark grey) as in olive-tree and primary projection is also more in line for upcher's. and it seems to wave its tail as seen in the second pic, #5.

Last edited:
I didn't know OTW got as far east as Urfa. Upcher's is definitely present a little west of Gaziantep, which is some way west of Urfa.

well, at least there in the zone between birecik and sanliurfa. i think hadoram shirihai's maps are pretty accurate for this species.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back