• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emperor Moth (1 Viewer)

Britseye

Anyone got any daytime (or dusk) experiences of Emperor Moth they'd like to share? I went out an recceed a site at the edge of the range yesterday and have decided to go back on Wednesday to spend a bit more time there. Have decided against buying the pheromone for the time being. Thanks

Anyone got any daytime (or dusk) experiences of Emperor Moth they'd like to share? I went out an recceed a site at the edge of the range yesterday and have decided to go back on Wednesday to spend a bit more time there. Have decided against buying the pheromone for the time being. Thanks

I was on an exercise walk recently and happened to bump into someone using a lure. It brought the moths in all right but land they would not, and they go like the clappers! Occasionally one would hover near the lure or tease that it was going to settle on a downwind twig. I suspect those full frame photos people like to post are of moths that have been in the fridge.

John

So they use the lures during the day, do they? I understand males are day-fliers, but I know how many Eggars I see zooming around for every one I see at close range on the deck (approx 100 to 1 :-C)

So they use the lures during the day, do they? I understand males are day-fliers, but I know how many Eggars I see zooming around for every one I see at close range on the deck (approx 100 to 1 :-C)

Quite. It took me years to understand that the first Northern Eggar I saw, sitting quietly on a Caithness peat bog, was an incredible fluke! :t:

John

FWIW Graham, circa 44 years ago now towards the last week in May beginning of June , I took a camping trip to Scotland with a colleague. Driving from London we eventually stopped off at a place called Lochearnhead (Perthshire).

We drove off the main road up a steep track, parked the car and legged it up the hillside on to a an old railway line...minus the sleepers. After a two hour hike we eventually made our way back down to the track it had been warm and sunny even during the late afternoon.

It was here amongst the heather/birch scrub etc that we laid our eyes on these fantastic yellow/red grey “Butterflies” (seemed like dozens on the wing) which we did not recognise! Thinking that I knew all the big colourful ones, I was somewhat miffed at my inability to ID them! It was many, many years later that the penny dropped!....not seen one since, much to my chagrin. :-C

Thanks, Ken. 'Dozens on the wing' sounds like you were in a prime area for them. I, on the other hand, was at the edge of the species range on a small 100m asl location near Durham City and failed in my somewhat half-arsed attempt over 24 hours. Half-arsed because I had no lure, no net and no light trap, so I figured my chances were somewhat low. I did briefly have two fast-moving creatures in chase against the light that were about the right size and too quick for butterflies, I thought? But that was it. Didn't stop me enjoying a fantastic mix of habitats and amazing woodland in an area close to my old home that I never explored in any depth when I was very much strictly a coastal birder looking for migrants and seabirds. My dragonfly year list went from 0-5 in a matter of hours; I had at least ten Garden Warblers singing; and I came across what might turn out to be the first Short-eared Owls nesting in County Durham for many, many years?

Thanks, Ken. 'Dozens on the wing' sounds like you were in a prime area for them. I, on the other hand, was at the edge of the species range on a small 100m asl location near Durham City and failed in my somewhat half-arsed attempt over 24 hours. Half-arsed because I had no lure, no net and no light trap, so I figured my chances were somewhat low. I did briefly have two fast-moving creatures in chase against the light that were about the right size and too quick for butterflies, I thought? But that was it. Didn't stop me enjoying a fantastic mix of habitats and amazing woodland in an area close to my old home that I never explored in any depth when I was very much strictly a coastal birder looking for migrants and seabirds. My dragonfly year list went from 0-5 in a matter of hours; I had at least ten Garden Warblers singing; and I came across what might turn out to be the first Short-eared Owls nesting in County Durham for many, many years?

Definitely a prime spot, either Emperor Moth or magic mushrooms ;)

Definitely a prime spot, either Emperor Moth or magic mushrooms ;)

Operative two words Andy “seemed like” another age in more ways than one, and the bird finds were good too!...Black Grouse at site plus Snow Bunting singing and Dotterel in the Cairngorms, finishing off with a resplendent male Red-backed Shrike on Hoy...a-h-h-h yes, those were the days. :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back