• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 x 32 Cl Pocket Vs CL Mountain (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Okay....what is the difference? The specs are the same so what is the real difference other than the Pocket being a tad bit less expensive than the Mountain?

I am wondering about which models you are referring to ? The CL is available in pocket sizes of
8x25 and 10x25, and the larger CL in 8x30 and 10x30. Different trim levels, colors and bags in the
30 mm models.

Jerry

Hi Jim,

From the May 2017 press release at: https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/press/CL_Pocket_Mountain_Edition_from_SWAROVSKI_OPTIK_EN

’These compact binoculars are available with two different magnifications (8x25 and 10x25). The new product design ties in appropriately with the “mountain” theme,
with its black and anthracite color scheme. An orange field bag and a carrying strap with a climbing rope look add the finishing touches to the Mountain package.’

. . . so the colour of the finish and the accessories

John

It would appear that the Pocket and Mountain only differ in strap, bag etc....Not sure why Swaro does that.
At the moment I am leaning to the 8x30 as opposed to the 8x25. I haven't compared side by side yet, and will....but I do remember looking at 8x25's at one time and they just seemed to small to really get a comfortable ergonomic feel of.... My thoughts at least

It would appear that the Pocket and Mountain only differ in strap, bag etc....Not sure why Swaro does that.
At the moment I am leaning to the 8x30 as opposed to the 8x25. I haven't compared side by side yet, and will....but I do remember looking at 8x25's at one time and they just seemed to small to really get a comfortable ergonomic feel of.... My thoughts at least

Jim,

I own both and would be interested in your opinion once you have had a chance to compare.

Mike

You may find this useful -

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342504

The ergonomics are quite different but the 8x25 are fantastic and much more portable. In ordinary daylight conditions the difference is much smaller than you might imagine. I like the 8x25 because I can throw them in a back pack or easily put them in a jacket pocket. For some the folding and smaller form doesnt work but optically I think they are every bit as good as the 8x32.

Last edited:
Hello Imans66,
Haha, well done Swarovski marketing.
The CL Mountains ARE CL Pockets. The exact same binoculars. I own the CL Mountains in the 8x25 configuration. They were a gift. An unnecessary extravagance afforded by my lovely birding and life partner. The housing color, I must admit, is beautiful.
Swarovski does this sometimes. It's the same with the ATX interior spotting scope or the CL companion Nomad binoculars. They also once offered some blue CL companions, that I am sure are really nice to look at.
I think they just do it to entice you.
I noticed that Kowa is offering their 125th-anniversary spotting scopes in the 88mm objective and in the 55mm objective in a special color for the same price, and including a stay-on case in the price. Generous of them while also being enticing.
ps. the responders to this thread (myself included) are confused about which binoculars you are writing about. Swarovski offers CL POCKETS in 8x25 and 10x25 configurations. Swarovski also offers CL POCKET Mountains in the same 8x25 and 10x25 configurations.
Swarovski also offers CL COMPANIONS in 8x30 and 10x30 configurations.
None of which are 8x32s.

Last edited:
The Mountain version has the "SWAROBRIGHT and SWAROTOP Lens Coatings" which the standard companct binos do not. I have the standard 8x25 and Mountain 10x25 versions of the binos. I prefer the 10x ones as they provide a large image and this helps with bird ID in low light.

Anybody compared the Swaro 8x25CL with the Zeiss 8x25? I am sure there is a thread someplace but for a quick reply ?

Imans66

I own both 8x25 in CL and VP. Personally I prefer the VP for much wider FoV and I love the ergonomics as well (I'm right handed - could be awkward for a southpaw possibly.) Unlike many the VP work for me equally well with or without glasses. I agree with many others, the CL is a great pocket bin but the VP steps up one weight class to compete with a number of 8x30/32. You are correct, lots of discussion comparing the two but not anywhere in a single comparison thread so far as I know. Preferences seem strong and about evenly divided.

I'm not an expert, just a collector/enthusiast, glad to offer more subjective experience/comparison if anyone is interested.

Mike

Imans66

I own both 8x25 in CL and VP. Personally I prefer the VP for much wider FoV and I love the ergonomics as well (I'm right handed - could be awkward for a southpaw possibly.) Unlike many the VP work for me equally well with or without glasses. I agree with many others, the CL is a great pocket bin but the VP steps up one weight class to compete with a number of 8x30/32. You are correct, lots of discussion comparing the two but not anywhere in a single comparison thread so far as I know. Preferences seem strong and about evenly divided.

I'm not an expert, just a collector/enthusiast, glad to offer more subjective experience/comparison if anyone is interested.

Mike
Thanks Mike....I have tried the Zeiss...lovely camera. I elected to go with a 8x32 instead but still a great camera. Just a bit too small for everyday as I felt like it was a toy :) I have never tried the CL....

Hi Elkhornsun (post #9),

Sometimes Swarovski specification lists don't include the full range of coatings used on a particular model
(where there's insufficient space to conveniently list all of them, it seems that the advertising people choose somewhat randomly)

Swarotop is the standard Anti-Reflective coating applied to all air-glass surfaces. It’s going to be present whether specified or not

Swarobright is the dielectric coating applied to the non-Total Internal Reflection surface present on most roof prism pairs. Where needed it’ll also be present even if not specified

For a complete list of Swarovski’s current coatings and what they are for, see my recent post at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=389706

John

Last edited:
Imans66

Mike

Mike:
What is a VP ? I know the CL but tell us more.
Jerry

Thanks, it is always better to say more, rather than abbreviate. VP means nothing, but saying Zeiss Victory pocket 8x25 tells the world what you are referring to.

Jerry

Jerry and mpeace posts 15 and 16,

Yes thanks, in my post #11, I was referring to the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. I should have provided more context. I was responding to Imans66 post #10 asking whether anyone had compared the "Swaro 8x25 CL with the Zeiss 8x25." I assumed he meant the Victory Pocket 8x25 as the immediately preceding Zeiss 8 pocket model was an 8x20.

Again after fairly regular use of both and comparison side by side, I like both but the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket is the clear winner over the 8x25 Swaro CLfor me. However I would not argue with anyone who has tried both who prefers the Swaro 8x25 to the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back