• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Padley Gorge and pied flycatchers (1 Viewer)

Pete Mella

Getting there...
If the weather's any good (a big if if the weather forecast's anything to go by!) I think I'll have a look up to Padley Gorge on Saturday.

I've not beed before so don't really know the area, so has anyone got any tips for finding pied flycatchers there?

Pete.

I was just passing and wondered how you got on all that time ago? Any info now would be a bit late in the day! I guess you found your way around, though I suspect Pied Flies were hard to find in July - once out of the nest the young and their parents go into the canopy and can be difficult to see.

May is the classic time - our visit this year yielded two pairs (look for the nest boxes), two pairs of Redstart and three singing male Wood Warblers. Spotted Fly was conspicuous by it's absence but Whinchats and Tree Pip could be found on the moorland just above the gorge ... not to mention the tourists in their fine pastel plumage.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back