• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (3 Viewers)

been scanning the distant fields down in the valley to no avail,

I can't do that unfortunately. Apart from rooftops and chimneys up to about 200m away all I can see from my little garden is sky. And on a quiet day it is hard to believe how little flies over.

Next time I move it will hopefully be to a nice bungalow (no stairs !!) with great views from the garden. Maybe even a sea view.

Steve

I can't do that unfortunately. Apart from rooftops and chimneys up to about 200m away all I can see from my little garden is sky. And on a quiet day it is hard to believe how little flies over.

Next time I move it will hopefully be to a nice bungalow (no stairs !!) with great views from the garden. Maybe even a sea view.

Steve

Sounds a bit like my old place in Selsey (1988-2004), though the sea view necessitated climbing onto my kids’ slide to see over the fence:eek!:
Not sure a bungalow by the sea is a good investment unless some hefty sea defences are in place Steve;)

Not sure a bungalow by the sea is a good investment unless some hefty sea defences are in place Steve;)

As it happens I was chatting about this with a Lincs birder last week and he suggested buying a house in the dunes at Anderby Creek on the Lincs coast - migrants and moths in the garden and seawatching from the front windows. When I mentioned erosion he rather rudely said it would likely last 10 or 15 years and do me fine.

Steve

As it happens I was chatting about this with a Lincs birder last week and he suggested buying a house in the dunes at Anderby Creek on the Lincs coast - migrants and moths in the garden and seawatching from the front windows. When I mentioned erosion he rather rudely said it would likely last 10 or 15 years and do me fine.

Steve

:eek!: Life expectancy versus coastal erosion rates, one for a mathematician that!

#26. Goosander

Ooh, that's the only 'waterbird' I'm ever likely to get on the Garden List as they nest about 5km downstream from here.
A productive hour in the half-light of dawn as I topped up the feeders this morning, first I heard two different Wren singing (I'm amazed I hadn't seen or heard any so far this year). Encouraged by that I stayed outside listening at first as it was still a bit dark, last year the first Song Thrush I heard was 22 Feb so I was hoping to hear that welcome music, instead I heard a quiet zitt and one flew right past me! Song will start tomorrow I bet. Then, most exciting of all a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker started calling, only the 4th record for me here, the others have all been between mid-November and 1 January so hopefully this one is a sign of possible breeding later on.

39 Wren
40 Song Thrush
41 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Lunchtime update edit. Sitting on the bench finishing my mackerel and salad (blood test for cholesterol next Monday ;)) and had just stopped watching a single crow coming from the mountains very high. A solitary panic call made me look up again, to see something tumbling down from the blue sky, feathers flying with a crow following the plunging bundle, through the bins I could confirm my suspicions, I managed to grab my camera just as they passed out of sight behind the trees, a female Gos with its Carrion Crow lunch and only one other crow had reacted fast enough. to try and harass the raptor. Very ropey photo (not of Ken's standard I'm afraid) of the drama unfolding.

42 Goshawk

Attachments

• autour2.jpg
    autour2.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Ooh, that's the only 'waterbird' I'm ever likely to get on the Garden List as they nest about 5km downstream from here.
A productive hour in the half-light of dawn as I topped up the feeders this morning, first I heard two different Wren singing (I'm amazed I hadn't seen or heard any so far this year). Encouraged by that I stayed outside listening at first as it was still a bit dark, last year the first Song Thrush I heard was 22 Feb so I was hoping to hear that welcome music, instead I heard a quiet zitt and one flew right past me! Song will start tomorrow I bet. Then, most exciting of all a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker started calling, only the 4th record for me here, the others have all been between mid-November and 1 January so hopefully this one is a sign of possible breeding later on.

39 Wren
40 Song Thrush
41 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Lunchtime update edit. Sitting on the bench finishing my mackerel and salad (blood test for cholesterol next Monday ;)) and had just stopped watching a single crow coming from the mountains very high. A solitary panic call made me look up again, to see something tumbling down from the blue sky, feathers flying with a crow following the plunging bundle, through the bins I could confirm my suspicions, I managed to grab my camera just as they passed out of sight behind the trees, a female Gos with its Carrion Crow lunch and only one other crow had reacted fast enough. to try and harass the raptor. Very ropey photo (not of Ken's standard I'm afraid) of the drama unfolding.

42 Goshawk

Caw!!! Gos-is come-“uppance” then. ;)

Red Winged Blackbird Male_3.jpg

No new additions, but I got this picture yesterday. A young red winged blackbird, male.

I also learned I will be moving soon. I assume that means I will have to start over my garden/yard list?

View attachment 719445

No new additions, but I got this picture yesterday. A young red winged blackbird, male.

I also learned I will be moving soon. I assume that means I will have to start over my garden/yard list?

Red-winged Blackbirds are great birds! Regarding your yard list unsure of the rules, however you could just add your species to your new yard list for the year with the proviso that at year end it would be a dual property total, or start afresh from your new abode. I’m sure any legal eagles will soon put you right though. :t:

Saw the 'local' Sparrowhawk properly for the first time this year today. Thought I saw her a month ago but she was very high in the sky and couldn't get the bins fast enough.

I haven't been keeping too much of a record this year so far, but I worked from home yesterday and chose the kitchen (which looks out onto the garden) as my office rather than the lounge; so including the Sparrowhawk from today and those birds from yesterday, I guess here is as good a place as any to keep track?

1 - Pigeon
2 - Starling
3 - Robin
4 - Goldfinches
5 - Blue Tit
6 - Tree Sparrow
7 - Blackbird
8 - Crow
9 - Heron
10 - Sparrowhawk

Bit of a lacklustre list really

Saw the 'local' Sparrowhawk properly for the first time this year today. Thought I saw her a month ago but she was very high in the sky and couldn't get the bins fast enough.

I haven't been keeping too much of a record this year so far, but I worked from home yesterday and chose the kitchen (which looks out onto the garden) as my office rather than the lounge; so including the Sparrowhawk from today and those birds from yesterday, I guess here is as good a place as any to keep track?

1 - Pigeon
2 - Starling
3 - Robin
4 - Goldfinches
5 - Blue Tit
6 - Tree Sparrow
7 - Blackbird
8 - Crow
9 - Heron
10 - Sparrowhawk

Bit of a lacklustre list really

Welcome aboard CS, I think quite a few of us envy you your Tree Sparrow:t:

March 2nd.

47. Grey Heron - one noisy individual over low.

A friend who also lives in Lufbra is gripping me off with multiple flyovers of both Red Kite and Great White Egret - my view is the other way from his house.

Steve

February 29th I saw in neighbors Maple something with reddish breast. I first thought it is Jay (which would have been nice, cos I haven't seen it yet), but when I looked at it with binos I realize it was a really handsome male Sprawk (which was even nicer - even I had it already): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UvytP1ZEm4&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=32&t=0s

15 seconds after taking that video I found it on a pine branch eating a bird it had captured (I think it was a Blue Tit, but it not show so well that accurate ID would be possible): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PzmM4gNb88&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=32

March 1st, I was walking to my car when I woke the Crows keep the noise:
#27. Goshawk - young bird flew just over my head.

March 2nd, I saw two swans flying far away - too distant that I could say which one. So I leave this open at a moment...
Also, few hours later my friend send me a WA-message from couple of kilometers to West from our house and he told me that there comes a...
#28. Crane - to the East. I run out and there it flew - I just barely got it. :t: It was at least a month ahead of schedule. (We had no winter at all)

Nice ones Wari, hmmm, no winter eh? Well here it keeps coming back just when you think it’s over ( photo this morning on our snowshoe ‘stroll’ looking for Pygmy Owl - no joy with the owl but the young Golden Eagle flew overhead and a Nutcracker wheezed:t:)

Attachments

• 76FBC69C-F931-4B81-8E80-DB5DF8C51747.jpeg
    76FBC69C-F931-4B81-8E80-DB5DF8C51747.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back