• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Managing your lists (1 Viewer)

Martin1989

Hello guys,

How do you manage your lists of birds ?
I found out ebird could do it quite good but it's really a mess to use and i have tons of french datas on Visionature websites which i can't import on ebird...

From what i've searched, it seems that the best way to do it is online so you can get taxonomic changes without having to modify your excel file for example.
In France we have http://cocheurs.fr/ which is the best way to keep tracks on several lists but it's only for France and i'd love to find some similar website working for a world birder :)

How do you guys manage your lists?

Cheers
Martin

Hello guys,

How do you manage your lists of birds ?
I found out ebird could do it quite good but it's really a mess to use and i have tons of french datas on Visionature websites which i can't import on ebird...

From what i've searched, it seems that the best way to do it is online so you can get taxonomic changes without having to modify your excel file for example.
In France we have http://cocheurs.fr/ which is the best way to keep tracks on several lists but it's only for France and i'd love to find some similar website working for a world birder :)

How do you guys manage your lists?

Cheers
Martin

I use Scythebill, it's superb, supports IOC and Clements lists and shows all sub species and ranges.

https://www.scythebill.com/download.html

It also provides lists for every country and once you entered you data, it will produce a list for any country, based on your data which will indicate all potential ticks for you in that country. You have the option to print any list with your 'ticks' highlighted in bold.

Search function is great too, quite often you can just enter e,g LBbG and it will bring up Lesser Black-backed Gull, it's very clever and very easy to use.

I have all my lists on Bubo at the moment (a backup copy of my life list on excel), I find Bubo to be excellent.
However, some friends recommend Scythebill and when I get a free moment (;)) I plan to look into the software/website.

I recently went over to Scythebill and would echo everything Andy has said - very impressed! It is also very intuitive to use. Well worth trying Mike.

Chris

I have yet to fully investigate what it will do but IgoTerra seems a pretty good system but you have to pay a subscription to get the full benefits.

Bubo works well for me.

Steve

I have yet to fully investigate what it will do but IgoTerra seems a pretty good system but you have to pay a subscription to get the full benefits.

Bubo works well for me.

Steve

I dabbled briefly with both Bubo and Igoterra but I have moved fully across to eBird.

I think the main reason was that I see my list as a by product of my observations and not the other way around.

I also like the idea of the information being freely available not only to me but others. eBird has over 500k users and is one of, if not the largest, citizen science projects globally. I increasingly rely on the data when in the field across the world and with the advent of national portals it is clear that others are aswell.

I would rather that is was based upon IOC rather than Clements, but even in the few years I have been using it they have come closer together.

The mixture of online resource, mobile app and global coverage I find invaluable. And as it part of Cornell university and all open source, the data is not going to be lost or the operator disappear.

I use custom excel spread sheets for all my lists. It allows me to organize them just the way I want and I enjoy keeping up with taxonomy. Also, it allows me to keep the same format for my herp and mammal lists.

Extra bonus...fiddling with my lists is a good time waster during quarantine....

I dabbled briefly with both Bubo and Igoterra but I have moved fully across to eBird.

I think the main reason was that I see my list as a by product of my observations and not the other way around.

I also like the idea of the information being freely available not only to me but others. eBird has over 500k users and is one of, if not the largest, citizen science projects globally. I increasingly rely on the data when in the field across the world and with the advent of national portals it is clear that others are aswell.

I would rather that is was based upon IOC rather than Clements, but even in the few years I have been using it they have come closer together.

The mixture of online resource, mobile app and global coverage I find invaluable. And as it part of Cornell university and all open source, the data is not going to be lost or the operator disappear.

I am also a big fan of eBird. For over 25 years I used field notebooks, I decided to enter all my data into ebird for three reasons:
- my records are made available to others
- I have an online backup of all my records, which is good in case my old notebooks get damaged or stolen
- it's a great way to search my own observations; ofr example, if I want to check where and when did I see a Black Stork, ebird provides that list to me in a couple of seconds (before ebird I had to rely on my memory and spend a long time going through dozens of notebooks).

Of course there are a few drawbacks to ebird. I am not so much concerned about the taxonomy (IOC versus Clements), although what they did with the Iberian populations of Reed Warbler is a real mess and I hope it will be reversed. The main drawback is the lack of quality of some data. There are many cases of wrong id's that just remain there because it seems to be almost impossible to detecte them. Also many cases of lists placed at the wrong locations or with the wrong protocols. So I am not sure how far the ebird data can be used for citizen science. At least I think it is not really scientific.

Anyway, when I look at ebird globally, I think it's a valuable tool and I keep using it.

I am also a big fan of eBird. For over 25 years I used field notebooks, I decided to enter all my data into ebird for three reasons:
- my records are made available to others
- I have an online backup of all my records, which is good in case my old notebooks get damaged or stolen
- it's a great way to search my own observations; ofr example, if I want to check where and when did I see a Black Stork, ebird provides that list to me in a couple of seconds (before ebird I had to rely on my memory and spend a long time going through dozens of notebooks).

Of course there are a few drawbacks to ebird. I am not so much concerned about the taxonomy (IOC versus Clements), although what they did with the Iberian populations of Reed Warbler is a real mess and I hope it will be reversed. The main drawback is the lack of quality of some data. There are many cases of wrong id's that just remain there because it seems to be almost impossible to detecte them. Also many cases of lists placed at the wrong locations or with the wrong protocols. So I am not sure how far the ebird data can be used for citizen science. At least I think it is not really scientific.

Anyway, when I look at ebird globally, I think it's a valuable tool and I keep using it.

Quantity over quality!

I've only ever dipped in to ebird very infrequently and I don't like the hotspot function that just lists species in a series of latest reports.

As a first time or infrequent user, you go to a hotspot and start scrolling down, expecting a taxonomically ordered list of species but you don't get that, you get one persons list, followed by the next, then the next.............

Is there a way to show all recent sightings in one, ordered list instead of having to muddle through all those individual reports?

Scythebill is a listing tool, it's not intended, I don't think, to be used as a replacement for a notebook which seems to be how people are using ebird? There is plenty of space in Scythebill for notes and observations but they remain private thus not corrupting the public data stream with thousands of potentially wrong identifications.

Last edited:
I actually use three methods:
  1. eBird - I submit all my lists there
  2. Spreadsheet - Life lists, along with a section for unindentified species and notes
  3. PDF file of pictures of every bird (I have taken a picture of all the nearly 500 species I have seen, with the exception of about 5 of them)

By keeping multiple records, there is redundancy. Each method serves slightly different needs, and also allows me to double-check all sightings.

Quantity over quality!

I've only ever dipped in to ebird very infrequently and I don't like the hotspot function that just lists species in a series of latest reports.

As a first time or infrequent user, you go to a hotspot and start scrolling down, expecting a taxonomically ordered list of species but you don't get that, you get one persons list, followed by the next, then the next.............

Is there a way to show all recent sightings in one, ordered list instead of having to muddle through all those individual reports?

Scythebill is a listing tool, it's not intended, I don't think, to be used as a replacement for a notebook which seems to be how people are using ebird? There is plenty of space in Scythebill for notes and observations but they remain private thus not corrupting the public data stream with thousands of potentially wrong identifications.

Andy

in eBird, the default opening screen for a hotspot is the last seen records in reverse chronological order. This is not someones list followed by another ad-nauseum as you suggest. However if you don't want it in truly last seen then simply click on 'species name' and you will get it in (Clements) taxonometric order. You can also get the list in first seen, or as a bar chart with seasonal variations.

Of course when using it there is nothing to mean that you have to attach to hotspots at all. It can go against grid references if you want - it is up to you.

There is a help page that explains all this.

Some other systems use a grid reference against every single species sighting. I agree that eBird doesnt, but I have to wonder how many of these are actually for the observer rather than the bird. eBird records a track that you went on, one of the current failings in my eyes is that is only available to the inputter and those he/she specifically shares the list with, not to anyone else.

The main drawback is the lack of quality of some data. There are many cases of wrong id's that just remain there because it seems to be almost impossible to detecte them. Also many cases of lists placed at the wrong locations or with the wrong protocols. So I am not sure how far the ebird data can be used for citizen science. At least I think it is not really scientific.

Glad to read about so many people using eBird. However, errors in other people's data aren't directly relevant to the subject of this thread though; it doesn't affect eBird’s utility to keep your lists and sightings.

Also, I assume you're talking about errors you have found in your area. Quality of data varies greatly from place to place; probably highest in North America. But the great thing about eBird is that the data can be continually improved every year as more experienced local reviewers volunteer to help. It should also be noted that I don't believe eBird ever directly changes someone’s observation report; it is up to the user to do that. I think the most eBird does is make the report non-public. So it doesn't affect data.

Finally, eBird data has already been used in several scientific studies; scientists/statisticians do of course have ways of dealing with error rates.

I think it is wrong to blame eBird for the situation with Reed Warbler. This was initiated by the research that said that ambiguus was part of African Reed Warbler rather than Eurasian and in fact Clements was slow to adopt it in 2017. Most records from Morocco and Iberia have become hopeless confused ever since.

I don't think there are more cases of incorrect identifications or locations than anything else, and infact the search engines available to reviewers means that 'oddities' are identified quite quickly. For a general user however it is quite frustrating that
- regional reviewers are not obvious so it is difficult to report if you see something
- regional reviewers cannot change the identification or the list (only the observer can)
- regional reviewers can quarantine any list from research download, so it does not form part of any scientific use.

Maybe I should make it clear that I am a big fan of eBird and all my records for the last five years or so have been entered on a daily basis as far as practicable.

BUT I do not regard it as a personal listing site. Yes it keeps lists for you but the entry is slow and for someone with 50 years birding behind them like me then it is an enormous task, and effectively impossible with the style of notes I keep.
As I use it now it works perfectly for year lists and also produces month lists, site lists etc etc for whatever areas you want. But not for life lists.

Steve

Andy

in eBird, the default opening screen for a hotspot is the last seen records in reverse chronological order. This is not someones list followed by another ad-nauseum as you suggest. However if you don't want it in truly last seen then simply click on 'species name' and you will get it in (Clements) taxonometric order. You can also get the list in first seen, or as a bar chart with seasonal variations.

It seems like it is to me,
here's what I get for Entebbe Botanical Gardens, just a fraction of it so what am I doing wrong? What I'd like to see displayed, is a taxonomic order, what I'm seeing here is individual lists which start again with every new post, maybe because I'm not a registered user, must be missing some options?

1 Egyptian Goose 40 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
2 Spur-winged Goose 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
3 Ring-necked Dove 4 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
4 Great Blue Turaco 3 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
5 Eastern Plantain-eater 40 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
6 Pied Cuckoo 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
7 Klaas's Cuckoo 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
8 Common Sandpiper 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
9 African Openbill 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
10 Marabou Stork 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
11 Long-tailed Cormorant 30 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
12 Hamerkop 6 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
13 Grey Heron 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
14 Black-headed Heron 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
15 Little Egret 15 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
16 Cattle Egret 22 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
17 Hadada Ibis 31 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
18 Palm-nut Vulture 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
19 Tawny Eagle 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
20 Black Kite 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
21 Common Buzzard 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
22 Woodland Kingfisher 8 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
23 Pied Kingfisher 21 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
24 Yellow-throated Tinkerbird 2 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
25 Green-backed Camaroptera 2 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
26 Tawny-flanked Prinia 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
cisticola sp. 2 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
swallow sp. 6 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
27 Common Bulbul 10 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
28 Splendid Starling 3 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
29 African Thrush 3 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
30 White-browed Robin-Chat 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
31 Green-headed Sunbird 4 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
32 Scarlet-chested Sunbird 4 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
33 Bronze Sunbird 2 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
34 Olive-bellied Sunbird 4 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
sunbird sp. 2 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
35 Holub's Golden-Weaver 1 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
36 Village Weaver 15 15 Mar 2020 Chris Paci
37 Rock Dove 2 3 Mar 2020 Marc Brawer
38 Speckled Pigeon 1 3 Mar 2020 Marc Brawer
39 Fork-tailed Drongo 1 3 Mar 2020 Marc Brawer
40 Arrow-marked Babbler 1 3 Mar 2020 Marc Brawer
41 Northern Black-Flycatcher 2 3 Mar 2020 Marc Brawer
42 Senegal Lapwing 1 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
43 Whiskered Tern 200 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
44 African Harrier-Hawk 1 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
45 African Fish-Eagle 1 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
46 Crowned Hornbill 1 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
47 Black-and-white-casqued Hornbill 1 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
48 White-backed Vulture 1 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
49 White-throated Bee-eater 1 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
50 Grey Parrot 2 29 Feb 2020 Rainer Stoll
51 Yellow-billed Duck 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
52 Red-eyed Dove X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
53 Blue-spotted Wood-Dove 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
54 African Green-Pigeon 5 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
55 Ross's Turaco 3 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
56 White-browed Coucal 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
57 Little Swift X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
58 African Palm-Swift X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
59 Black-winged Stilt X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
60 Spur-winged Lapwing 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
61 Green Sandpiper 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
62 Common Greenshank X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
63 Wood Sandpiper 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
64 Gull-billed Tern X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
65 Abdim's Stork 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
66 Great White Pelican X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
67 Pink-backed Pelican X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
68 Great White Egret 3 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
69 Striated Heron 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
70 Hooded Vulture 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
71 Steppe Eagle 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
72 Lizard Buzzard 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
73 Speckled Mousebird X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
74 Blue-cheeked Bee-eater 8 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
75 Broad-billed Roller 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
76 Eurasian Hobby 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
77 Black-headed Gonolek 3 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
78 Pied Crow 2 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
79 Winding Cisticola 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
80 Barn Swallow X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
81 Yellow-throated Greenbul 3 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
82 African Yellow White-eye 5 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
83 Rüppell's Starling X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
84 Mariqua Sunbird X 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
85 Variable Sunbird 2 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
86 Baglafecht Weaver 3 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
87 Slender-billed Weaver 4 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
88 Spectacled Weaver 2 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
89 Orange Weaver 4 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
90 Northern Brown-throated Weaver 1 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
91 Black-headed Weaver 6 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
92 Golden-backed Weaver 4 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
93 Red-billed Firefinch 5 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
94 Bronze Mannikin 8 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
95 Northern Grey-headed Sparrow 6 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
96 Western Yellow Wagtail 5 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
97 Yellow-fronted Canary 4 28 Feb 2020 Thomas Falk
98 Shikra 1 27 Feb 2020 John Bruin
P
99 African Paradise-Flycatcher 1 27 Feb 2020 John Bruin
P
100 Olive-green Camaroptera 1 27 Feb 2020 John Bruin
101 Grey-capped Warbler 1 27 Feb 2020 John Bruin
N
102 White-headed Sawwing 12 27 Feb 2020 John Bruin
103 Red-chested Sunbird 1 27 Feb 2020 John Bruin
P
104 Dideric Cuckoo 2 22 Feb 2020 Rick Bateman
105 Malachite Kingfisher 1 22 Feb 2020 Rick Bateman
106 African Pygmy-Kingfisher 2 22 Feb 2020 Rick Bateman
107 Black-headed Paradise-Flycatcher 1 22 Feb 2020 Rick Bateman
108 Eurasian Reed Warbler 1 22 Feb 2020 Rick Bateman
109 Angola Swallow 4 22 Feb 2020 Rick Bateman
110 Vieillot's Weaver 6 22 Feb 2020 Rick Bateman
111 Black-and-white Mannikin 2 22 Feb 2020 Rick Bateman
112 Black Crake 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
113 Great Cormorant 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
114 African Sacred Ibis 6 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
115 Black-winged Kite 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
116 Long-crested Eagle 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
117 Yellow-billed Barbet 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
118 Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
119 Double-toothed Barbet 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
120 Northern Puffback 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
121 Trilling Cisticola 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
122 Grey-headed Nigrita 1 22 Feb 2020 Kansiime Patricia
123 Striped Kingfisher 1 16 Feb 2020 Chris Paci
124 Madagascar Bee-eater 1 16 Feb 2020 Chris Paci
125 Grey Kestrel 2 16 Feb 2020 Chris Paci
126 Water Thick-knee 2 5 Feb 2020 Judith Mirembe
127 African Goshawk 1 5 Feb 2020 Judith Mirembe
128 Superb Sunbird 1 5 Feb 2020 Judith Mirembe
129 Long-toed Lapwing 2 5 Feb 2020 Pat Lueders
130 Northern Wheatear 6 5 Feb 2020 Pat Lueders
131 Glossy Ibis X 1 Feb 2020 Alec Crawford
132 African Grey Woodpecker X 1 Feb 2020 Alec Crawford
133 Purple-banded Sunbird X 1 Feb 2020 Alec Crawford
134 African Pied Wagtail X 1 Feb 2020 Alec Crawford
135 Willow Warbler 1 28 Jan 2020 Eric Youngblood
136 Snowy-crowned Robin-Chat 1 28 Jan 2020 Eric Youngblood
137 Black-and-white Shrike-flycatcher X 27 Jan 2020 Alec Crawford
138 Blue-breasted Bee-eater 1 25 Jan 2020 Mark S. Garland
139 Yellow-fronted Tinkerbird 2 25 Jan 2020 Mark S. Garland
140 Common Moorhen 1 24 Jan 2020 Mark S. Garland
141 Rattling Cisticola 1 24 Jan 2020 Mark S. Garland
142 Blue-throated Brown Sunbird 2 24 Jan 2020 Mark S. Garland
143 Eastern Olivaceous Warbler 2 22 Jan 2020 Arshley Brian
144 Olive Sunbird 1 22 Jan 2020 Arshley Brian
145 Western Citril 2 10 Jan 2020 Jose Estrada
P
146 Laughing Dove 2 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
147 Tambourine Dove 2 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
148 Great Spotted Cuckoo 1 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
149 Red-chested Cuckoo 1 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
150 White-winged Black Tern 6 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
151 Intermediate Egret 3 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
152 Brown-throated Wattle-eye 3 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
153 African Penduline Tit 2 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
154 Swamp Flycatcher 1 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
155 Blue-headed Sunbird 1 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
156 Little Weaver 11 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
157 Black-necked Weaver 2 31 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
158 Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 21 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
159 Wahlberg's Eagle 1 21 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
160 Little Greenbul 1 21 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
161 Yellow-throated Longclaw 2 21 Dec 2019 Shannon Fair
162 Blue-headed Coucal 1 8 Dec 2019 Peter Waanders
163 Common Ringed Plover 1 8 Dec 2019 Peter Waanders
164 African Jacana 1 8 Dec 2019 Peter Waanders
165 White-rumped Swift 3 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
166 Marsh Sandpiper 1 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
167 Bat Hawk 1 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
168 Giant Kingfisher 1 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
169 European Roller 2 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
170 African Hobby 3 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
171 Green Crombec 1 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
172 Green Hylia 2 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
173 African Dusky Flycatcher 1 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
174 Collared Sunbird 2 8 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
175 Grey-hooded Gull 7 7 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
176 African Blue Flycatcher 1 7 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
177 Wood Warbler 2 7 Dec 2019 Jonathan Meyrav
178 Ruff 1 6 Dec 2019 Martin Käch
179 Grey-headed Kingfisher 1 5 Dec 2019 Peter Waanders
180 African Marsh Harrier 1 16 Nov 2019 Tim Wood
181 White-headed Vulture 1 3 Nov 2019 Jean-Marie Frenoux
182 Little Sparrowhawk 1 4 Oct 2019 Michelle Michaud
183 Saddle-billed Stork 2 18 Sep 2019 Michelle Michaud
Phylloscopus sp. 1 14 Sep 2019 Emma Meadows
N
184 Violet-backed Starling 1 14 Sep 2019 Emma Meadows
N
185 Yellow-billed Stork 1 12 Sep 2019 Mike Wheeler
186 Gabar Goshawk 1 12 Sep 2019 Mike Wheeler
187 Plain Martin 2 12 Sep 2019 Mike Wheeler
white egret sp. 2 4 Sep 2019 Thomas Boll Kristensen
188 Black Goshawk 1 4 Sep 2019 Thomas Boll Kristensen
N
189 Lesser Honeyguide 1 1 Sep 2019 Alain MATHURIN
190 Meyer's Parrot 2 30 Aug 2019 Mike Wheeler
191 African Emerald Cuckoo 1 15 Aug 2019 Frédéric Bacuez
192 Blue-naped Mousebird 3 15 Aug 2019 Frédéric Bacuez
N
193 Western Black-headed Oriole 1 15 Aug 2019 Frédéric Bacuez
N
Eurillas sp. X 15 Aug 2019 Frédéric Bacuez
194 Purple-headed Starling X 15 Aug 2019 Frédéric Bacuez
Serinus sp. 1 15 Aug 2019 Frédéric Bacuez
195 Ashy Flycatcher 3 7 Aug 2019 Larry Read
196 White-throated Greenbul 1 6 Aug 2019 Larry Read
197 Yellow-whiskered Greenbul 1 3 Aug 2019 Peter Steward
198 Red-knobbed Coot 1 1 Aug 2019 Simone Merey
199 Red-faced Cisticola 1 1 Aug 2019 Simone Merey
200 African Pied Hornbill 2 15 Jul 2019 Florin Feneru
201 Red-headed Lovebird 4 15 Jul 2019 Florin Feneru
202 Mourning Collared Dove 2 7 Jul 2019 Sonja Sorbo
203 Blue-breasted Kingfisher 1 4 Jul 2019 Olivier Langrand
Euplectes sp. 1 3 Jul 2019 Olivier Langrand
204 Grosbeak Weaver 2 3 Jul 2019 Olivier Langrand
205 Lemon Dove 1 16 Jun 2019 R Gardner
206 Green-throated Sunbird 1 10 Jun 2019 Andy Frank
207 African Wood-Owl 1 1 Jun 2019 Thomas Falk
208 Little Bee-eater 5 1 Jun 2019 Thomas Falk
209 Black Heron 1 26 May 2019 David Clarance
210 Tropical Boubou 1 26 May 2019 David Clarance
211 Yellow-mantled Weaver 7 26 May 2019 David Clarance
212 Pale Flycatcher 1 25 May 2019 gabriel normand
213 Green Sunbird 1 25 May 2019 gabriel normand
214 Grey Crowned-Crane 2 8 May 2019 Martin Gilbert
215 Helmeted Guineafowl 3 2 May 2019 Allison Miller
216 Bare-faced Go-away-bird 1 2 May 2019 Allison Miller
217 African Darter 1 2 May 2019 Allison Miller
218 Grey-backed Fiscal 2 14 Mar 2019 Michael Buckham
219 Northern Fiscal 1 14 Mar 2019 Michael Buckham
220 Garden Warbler 3 14 Mar 2019 Michael Buckham
221 Spotted Flycatcher 1 14 Mar 2019 Michael Buckham
222 Least Honeyguide 1 11 Mar 2019 Paul Chapman
223 Scarce Swift 2 8 Mar 2019 Robert Parker
224 Sand Martin 10 4 Mar 2019 Paul Chapman
225 Wattled Lapwing 2 3 Mar 2019 Michael Buckham
226 Golden-crowned Woodpecker 1 3 Mar 2019 Michael Buckham
227 Lesser Striped Swallow 1 3 Mar 2019 Michael Buckham
228 Lesser Masked-Weaver 2 3 Mar 2019 Michael Buckham
229 Woolly-necked Stork 1 24 Feb 2019 Alain MATHURIN
230 Little Grebe 2 15 Feb 2019 Caroline K
231 Lesser Spotted Eagle 1 15 Feb 2019 Caroline K
232 White-backed Duck 1 12 Feb 2019 David Bygott
hawk sp. 1 12 Feb 2019 David Bygott
233 Spot-flanked Barbet 1 12 Feb 2019 David Bygott
Apalis sp. 1 12 Feb 2019 David Bygott
Ploceus sp. 2 12 Feb 2019 David Bygott
234 Red-faced Crombec X 9 Feb 2019 David Mules
235 African Reed Warbler X 9 Feb 2019 David Mules
falcon sp. 1 19 Jan 2019 Santiago Caballero Carrera
P
236 Senegal Coucal 1 12 Jan 2019 Georg Rüppel
237 Great Reed Warbler 1 12 Jan 2019 Georg Rüppel
238 Sooty Chat 1 12 Jan 2019 Georg Rüppel
239 African Firefinch 1 12 Jan 2019 Georg Rüppel
coucal sp. 1 6 Jan 2019 Zak Pohlen
woodpecker sp. 1 6 Jan 2019 Zak Pohlen
240 Sedge Warbler 1 6 Jan 2019 Zak Pohlen
241 Grey Tit-Flycatcher 1 6 Jan 2019 Zak Pohlen
242 White-backed Night-Heron 1 5 Jan 2019 Zak Pohlen
N
243 Black Stork 1 27 Nov 2018 Daniel Leger
244 Yellow-breasted Apalis 5 27 Nov 2018 Kyle Kittelberger
245 Weyns's Weaver 4 27 Nov 2018 Kyle Kittelberger
246 Magpie Mannikin 4 27 Nov 2018 Kyle Kittelberger
247 Red-cheeked Cordonbleu 2 24 Nov 2018 Carlos Bethancourt
248 Brown Snake-Eagle 1 24 Nov 2018 Carlos Bethancourt
249 European Honey-buzzard 1 11 Nov 2018 Alain MATHURIN
old world oriole sp. 1 11 Nov 2018 Alain MATHURIN
250 Red-backed Shrike 1 11 Nov 2018 Alain MATHURIN
251 Scaly Francolin 1 5 Oct 2018 Greg Homel
252 African Pygmy-Goose 2 27 Sep 2018 Gabiito Alex
253 Vitelline Masked-Weaver 1 15 Sep 2018 Marco Gagiano
254 African Cuckoo-Hawk 1 27 Aug 2018 Robert Rackliffe
255 Grey-headed Sunbird 1 11 Aug 2018 Paul Prior
256 Squacco Heron 1 11 Aug 2018 Jean-Louis Carlo
257 Leaf-love 5 9 Aug 2018 Bradley Hacker
Accipiter sp. 1 4 Aug 2018 Ian Davies
P
258 Buff-throated Apalis 1 4 Aug 2018 Tayler Brooks
259 Black-bellied Firefinch 2 24 Jul 2018 Qin Huang
260 Vinaceous Dove 1 15 Jul 2018 Nicholas Fordyce
261 Cardinal Woodpecker 2 15 Jul 2018 Nicholas Fordyce
262 Beautiful Sunbird 2 15 Jul 2018 Nicholas Fordyce
263 Speckled Tinkerbird 1 15 Jul 2018 Roger Clark
264 Red-shouldered Cuckooshrike 1 15 Jul 2018 Roger Clark
265 House Sparrow 4 15 Jul 2018 Roger Clark
266 Brimstone Canary 1 15 Jul 2018 Roger Clark
P
267 Levaillant's Cuckoo 1 15 Jul 2018 Bonnie Bompart
268 Copper Sunbird 1 14 Jul 2018 Robert Tovey
269 Banded Snake-Eagle 1 12 Jul 2018 Robert Tovey
270 Lesser Blue-eared Starling 1 10 Jul 2018 Nicholas Fordyce
271 White-faced Whistling-Duck 2 8 Jul 2018 Baris Karadogan
tinkerbird sp. 1 3 Jul 2018 Gustino Lanese
272 Knob-billed Duck 34 3 Jul 2018 Kirk Huffstater
273 Lesser Black-backed Gull 2 3 Jul 2018 Kirk Huffstater
N
274 Greencap Eremomela 2 3 Jul 2018 Kirk Huffstater
275 Fan-tailed Widowbird 1 1 Jul 2018 Stephan Lorenz
276 Singing Cisticola 1 30 Jun 2018 Bridget Griffith
277 Western Nicator 1 29 Jun 2018 Sandy Ayer
278 African Cuckoo 1 24 Jun 2018 Brett Hartl
swift sp. 5 23 Jun 2018 Patrick Palines
279 African Shrike-flycatcher 2 17 Jun 2018 Joel Kugumisiriza
280 Tit-hylia 1 17 Jun 2018 Gary Stewart
281 Little Green Sunbird X 12 Jun 2018 Mark Bankunda
282 Common Kestrel 1 10 Jun 2018 MAITREYA SUKUMAR
283 Grey-throated Tit-Flycatcher 1 10 Jun 2018 MAITREYA SUKUMAR
284 Kittlitz's Plover 1 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
285 Shoebill 3 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
N
286 Barn Owl 4 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
N
287 Verreaux's Eagle Owl 1 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
N
288 Pearl-spotted Owlet 1 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
289 Abyssinian Ground-Hornbill 1 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
N
290 Lesser Kestrel 1 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
291 Pin-tailed Whydah 5 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
292 African Pipit 1 5 May 2018 ABIA ATUKWATSE
293 Lowland Sooty Boubou 1 5 May 2018 Bridget Griffith
294 Black Sawwing X 14 Mar 2018 James Watson
295 Black Scimitarbill 1 10 Feb 2018 Michele D'Amico
296 Bar-breasted Firefinch 2 10 Feb 2018 Michele D'Amico
297 Carruthers's Cisticola 1 4 Jan 2018 James Sipiora
298 Purple Heron 1 2 Jan 2018 Niall D Perrins
299 Eurasian Golden Oriole 1 29 Oct 2017 Richard Fleming
P
Buteo sp. 1 18 Oct 2017 Richard Fleming
300 Greater Painted-Snipe 1 17 Oct 2017 Richard Fleming
301 Osprey 1 30 Sep 2017 Gary Douglas
302 African Grey Hornbill 2 3 Sep 2017 Ruth Madison
303 Black Cuckooshrike 1 3 Sep 2017 Ruth Madison
304 Red-capped Robin-Chat 1 1 Aug 2017 Gary Douglas
305 Golden-breasted Bunting X 28 Jul 2017 Peter Edmonds
306 White-chinned Prinia 3 17 Jul 2017 André Weiss
307 Wire-tailed Swallow 6 12 Jul 2017 Scott Robinson
308 Purple Starling 5 12 Jul 2017 Scott Robinson
309 Orange-tufted Sunbird 1 12 Jul 2017 Scott Robinson
310 Black Bishop 2 12 Jul 2017 Scott Robinson
311 Crimson-rumped Waxbill 6 12 Jul 2017 Scott Robinson
312 African Black-headed Oriole X 7 Jul 2017 Kit Britten
N
313 Greater Blue-eared Starling X 7 Jul 2017 Kit Britten
314 Plain-backed Pipit X 7 Jul 2017 Kit Britten
Gyps sp. 1 23 Jun 2017 Rebecca Desjardins
315 Whistling Cisticola 1 23 Jun 2017 Rebecca Desjardins
waxbill sp. 1 23 Jun 2017 Rebecca Desjardins
316 Red-billed Duck 1 5 Jun 2017 Horacio Matarasso / Buenos Días Birding
317 Black-crowned Waxbill X 2 May 2017 Andrew Tordoff
318 African Yellow-Warbler X 26 Apr 2017 Tara Tuatai
319 Sooty Flycatcher X 26 Apr 2017 Tara Tuatai
320 Black-tailed Godwit 3 31 Jan 2017 Ellen Schwenne
321 Cape Wagtail 1 31 Jan 2017 Ellen Schwenne
322 Tabora Cisticola 1 25 Jan 2017 Sue&Gary Milks
323 European Bee-eater 1 25 Jan 2017 Sue&Gary Milks
324 Barred Warbler 1 16 Jan 2017 Gregor Tims
325 Augur Buzzard X 14 Jan 2017 Scott Bowers
L
peep sp. X 2 Jan 2017 Jeff Hambleton
326 Afep Pigeon X 24 Dec 2016 Fabio Olmos
tern sp. 50 14 Dec 2016 Peter LaBelle
327 Zitting Cisticola 2 3 Dec 2016 Steve Clark
328 Slender-billed Greenbul 2 19 Nov 2016 Mark S. Garland
329 Greater Honeyguide 1 19 Nov 2016 Nate Swick
330 Common Cuckoo 1 18 Nov 2016 Nate Swick
P
331 Plain Greenbul 1 18 Nov 2016 Nate Swick
shrike sp. 1 6 Nov 2016 Nate Swick
332 Chestnut-winged Starling 12 6 Nov 2016 Nate Swick
333 Garganey 1 4 Nov 2016 Gailon Brehm
334 Common Swift X 18 Oct 2016 Toni Alonso Jardí
335 Piapiac X 18 Oct 2016 Toni Alonso Jardí
336 Red-billed Quelea 1 27 Jun 2016 Dixie Sommers
337 Lesser Jacana 1 5 May 2016 David Guarnieri
338 Velvet-mantled Drongo 1 19 Mar 2016 Brett Gleitsmann
339 Rüppell's Griffon X 5 Jan 2016 Jan Harm Wiers
340 Western Marsh Harrier X 5 Jan 2016 Jan Harm Wiers
N
341 Lesser Swamp Warbler X 12 Nov 2015 Craig Evenhouse
greenbul sp. X 12 Nov 2015 Craig Evenhouse
rail/crake sp. 2 29 Sep 2015 Graham B Langley
Chlidonias sp. 100 29 Sep 2015 Graham B Langley
snake-eagle sp. 1 29 Sep 2015 Graham B Langley
Lamprotornis sp. 6 29 Sep 2015 Graham B Langley
342 Black-headed Gull 10 17 Sep 2015 Sandy Ayer
gull sp. 2 17 Sep 2015 Sandy Ayer
N
343 Lesser Grey Shrike 1 17 Sep 2015 Sandy Ayer
N
passerine sp. 1 17 Sep 2015 Sandy Ayer
N
344 African Crake X 30 Aug 2015 Craig Evenhouse
345 Western Black-headed Batis 1 29 Aug 2015 Noah Strycker
N
346 Goliath Heron X 25 Jun 2015 Martin Maderthaner
small honeyguide sp. 1 7 Jun 2015 Alain MATHURIN
347 Tree Pipit 1 27 Mar 2015 Mary Crickmore
348 Dark Chanting-Goshawk X 29 Jan 2015 Mike Tuer
349 Red-rumped Swallow X 29 Jan 2015 Mike Tuer
350 Yellow-crowned Bishop 1 27 Jan 2015 Graham B Langley
351 Grey Wagtail X 20 Dec 2014 Manoli Strecker
352 Nubian Woodpecker X 16 Sep 2014 Barnaby Briggs
N
353 Spotted Redshank 1 8 Feb 2014 Jono Henshaw
354 Eurasian Hoopoe 1 8 Feb 2014 Jono Henshaw
plover sp. X 6 Oct 2013 Nick Sausen
cormorant sp. X 6 Oct 2013 Nick Sausen
firefinch sp. 2 6 Oct 2013 Nick Sausen
355 Red-headed Weaver 1 23 Jul 2013 Johnnie Kamugisha
356 Dusky-blue Flycatcher 1 15 Mar 2013 Anonymous eBirder
Tauraco sp. 1 27 Feb 2013 Josh Engel
Cinnyris sp. 1 27 Feb 2013 Josh Engel
N
Apus sp. 25 22 Feb 2013 Brendan Lanpher
357 Lilac-breasted Roller 1 22 Feb 2013 Brendan Lanpher
358 Bronze-tailed Starling 1 22 Feb 2013 Brendan Lanpher
359 Black-throated Apalis X 31 Dec 2012 James Hein
360 Whinchat X 31 Dec 2012 James Hein
361 Black-crowned Tchagra 1 1 Nov 2012 Patrick Temple
362 White-necked Raven X 14 Sep 2012 William Stephens
363 Mosque Swallow 2 6 Aug 2012 Greg Homel
364 African Spoonbill 25 5 May 2012 Josh Engel
365 Mottled Spinetail X 3 Sep 2011 Jan Smith
366 Little Stint X 3 Sep 2011 Jan Smith
367 Common Waxbill X 2 Sep 2011 Jan Smith
368 Western Violet-backed Sunbird 1 17 May 2011 Bob Andrews
369 Sulphur-breasted Bushshrike 1 15 Apr 2011 Morgan Tingley
370 Brubru X 15 Nov 2010 Harry Fuller
371 Grey-throated Barbet 1 5 Jul 2010 George&Mary Flicker
372 White-spotted Flufftail 1 19 Apr 2010 Robert Tizard
N
373 Banded Martin 6 19 Apr 2010 Robert Tizard
374 Lanner Falcon X 28 Mar 2009 Brian Tinker
N
375 Rufous Flycatcher-Thrush X 28 Mar 2009 Brian Tinker
N
376 Red-headed Malimbe 1 21 Sep 2007 Antero Topp
377 Pennant-winged Nightjar X 19 Jul 2007 Carlos Gutierrez-Expósito
378 Moustached Grass-Warbler X 13 Jul 2006 Dalton Gibbs
379 Curlew Sandpiper 1 28 Jan 2006 Frani Lowe
380 Collared Pratincole 1 28 Jan 2006 Frani Lowe
381 Woodchat Shrike 1 28 Jan 2006 Frani Lowe
382 Pied Wagtail/White Wagtail 1 28 Jan 2006 Frani Lowe
383 Red-throated Pipit 1 28 Jan 2006 Frani Lowe
384 Namaqua Dove 1 19 Dec 2005 Tom Tarrant
385 Black-chested Snake-Eagle 1 19 Dec 2005 Tom Tarrant
386 Peregrine Falcon 1 19 Dec 2005 Tom Tarrant
387 Bateleur X 6 Feb 2005 Keith Riding
388 Yellow-bellied Eremomela X 5 Feb 2005 Keith Riding
389 Common House Martin X 5 Feb 2005 Keith Riding
390 Common Snipe 1 13 Jan 2005 Graham B Langley
N
snipe sp. 2 13 Jan 2005 Graham B Langley
N
391 African Golden Oriole X 13 Jan 2005 Graham B Langley
Acrocephalus sp. 1 13 Jan 2005 Graham B Langley
N
392 Fan-tailed Grassbird 1 13 Jan 2005 Graham B Langley
N
393 Dusky Long-tailed Cuckoo 2 2 Feb 2004 Scott Robinson
394 Icterine Warbler 3 2 Feb 2004 Scott Robinson
Hippolais sp. 6 2 Feb 2004 Scott Robinson
395 Rock Martin 10 2 Feb 2004 Scott Robinson
396 Little Ringed Plover X 10 Mar 2003 Keith Riding
397 African Snipe X 10 Mar 2003 Keith Riding
398 Pallid Harrier X 23 Feb 2003 Keith Riding
399 Sooty Falcon X 23 Feb 2003 Keith Riding
400 Icterine Greenbul X 22 Feb 2003 Keith Riding
N
401 Scaly-breasted Illadopsis 1 22 Feb 2003 Keith Riding
N
402 Lesser Moorhen X 15 Jun 1998 Anthony Collerton
403 Rock Pratincole 3 22 Mar 1996 Thomas Brooks
P
404 Rufous-naped Lark X 22 Mar 1996 Thomas Brooks
405 Black-faced Rufous-Warbler X 22 Mar 1996 Thomas Brooks
406 Brown Illadopsis X 22 Mar 1996 Thomas Brooks
407 Blue-shouldered Robin-Chat X 22 Mar 1996 Thomas Brooks
408 Red-tailed Greenbul 6 14 Jan 1966 Paul Mackenzie
N

Last edited:
Andy

You can manipulate it however you want user or not. That is last seen, you can have it first seen or indeed an illustrated taxonomic checklist with frequency:-

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1277025/media?yr=all&m=

I would add that you can also manipulate by date range.

All the best

Hi Andy

I agree with Paul, I have checked both by logging on and not, and it makes no difference, except it doesn't recognise my UK naming convention.

You have added the default last seen list. This is on the overview tab. If you clicked on the recent visits tab you will see all the lists added. As you have added, Chris Paci list of 36 species on the 15 March 2020 are all listed in the sequence they were added in the submission. The next list is from Mark Brawer on 3rd March, but only those species not seen by Chris Paci are added. It continues in the same way.

As I mentioned, clicking on Species seen (there is a little arrow head) changes it from chronology to taxonometric. But as Paul says you can look at the illustrated checklist to get seasonal variations as well. In addition, if you click on any date in the default view you will be taken to the checklist specific to that last sighting, including notes or photos, sound recordings taken at that time.

I found the best way to learn was just to press buttons and find out what happens. I very quickly came to the conclusion that there was little it won't show, if only I knew how to ask the question.

I use Bubo Listing which allows me to keep both an IOC list and Clements list. I also submit my sightings to eBird which provides a backup for my Clements list and is good for maintaining county, state, country, year lists, etc. Finally, I have Excel spreadsheets for my IOC, Clements, and personal lists. My personal list includes all IOC and Clements species, as well as other species recognized by other authorities, such as BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist, etc.

Dave

Hi Andy

I agree with Paul, I have checked both by logging on and not, and it makes no difference, except it doesn't recognise my UK naming convention.

You have added the default last seen list. This is on the overview tab. If you clicked on the recent visits tab you will see all the lists added. As you have added, Chris Paci list of 36 species on the 15 March 2020 are all listed in the sequence they were added in the submission. The next list is from Mark Brawer on 3rd March, but only those species not seen by Chris Paci are added. It continues in the same way.

As I mentioned, clicking on Species seen (there is a little arrow head) changes it from chronology to taxonometric. But as Paul says you can look at the illustrated checklist to get seasonal variations as well. In addition, if you click on any date in the default view you will be taken to the checklist specific to that last sighting, including notes or photos, sound recordings taken at that time.

I found the best way to learn was just to press buttons and find out what happens. I very quickly came to the conclusion that there was little it won't show, if only I knew how to ask the question.

Cheers Paul, Muppit,
I just find it a bit awkward for my purposes, I certainly wouldn't use it for my list, I'd probably never be able to find it again! Very happy with Scythebill but the two entities are different in their intended use IMHO although it's up to the user, if you want to log every sighting of every bird, you can. There is no facility to publish in Scythebill which I'm ok with personally, it's easy for my quasi Neanderthal brain to use which is great and I can't see me ever using anything else, each to their own.

Last edited:
I use Bubo Listing which allows me to keep both an IOC list and Clements list. I also submit my sightings to eBird which provides a backup for my Clements list and is good for maintaining county, state, country, year lists, etc. Finally, I have Excel spreadsheets for my IOC, Clements, and personal lists. My personal list includes all IOC and Clements species, as well as other species recognized by other authorities, such as BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist, etc.

Dave

I use a very simple method for anyone who wants to produce a count of their sightings. Maybe others already do it, not sure and maybe there's a nerd way within excel but I don't know one?

All you do, is add another column to the checklist and assign each species a value of 1 then use the autofunction, simples.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back