• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya - nr Maasai Mara National Park (2 Viewers)

jezzialli

This forum has been incredibly helpful so far during my labeling of some photos I took in Kenya last year, so I'm hopeful it can be just as helpful once again with a new set of photos that have stumped me.

This time the photos were taken in Olare Motorogi Conservancy, next to Maasai Mara National Park, Kenya, again in October 2019.

Can anyone help me to identify the species of birds in any of these photos please? I'm particularly struggling with identifying different species of vulture.

I've numbered the photos at the top-left, in case that helps in referencing them. I hope you don't mind me asking this forum about so many of them.

Thanks in advance for your help once again - it's very much appreciated.

Attachments

• olare motorogi1.jpg
    olare motorogi1.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 57
  • olare motorogi2.jpg
    olare motorogi2.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 71
  • olare motorogi3.jpg
    olare motorogi3.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 55
  • olare motorogi4.jpg
    olare motorogi4.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 63
  • olare motorogi5.jpg
    olare motorogi5.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 66
1&2 most of your vultures are white-backed with the black eyes and beaks.
You also have in 1) a hooded vulture (small with a pink head), in 2) you have a couple of lappet-faced (gigantic with a pink head) and a few ruppell’s (scalloped plumage and light beaks and eyes if you can see them
3) is white backed
4) is an eagle, these are difficult but I would guess steppe, hopefully someone can confirm
5) white bellied bustard
6) red necked spurfowl
7) woolly necked stork
8) African spoonbill
9) steppe? Eagle

Cheers
James

1&2 most of your vultures are white-backed with the black eyes and beaks.
You also have in 1) a hooded vulture (small with a pink head), in 2) you have a couple of lappet-faced (gigantic with a pink head) and a few ruppell’s (scalloped plumage and light beaks and eyes if you can see them
3) is white backed
4) is an eagle, these are difficult but I would guess steppe, hopefully someone can confirm
5) white bellied bustard
6) red necked spurfowl
7) woolly necked stork
8) African spoonbill
9) steppe? Eagle

Cheers
James

Agreed but 4 is a juvenile Bateleur, 9 is difficult I think Tawny

Just to follow up on the above, I have three further photos of eagles (I think) which are of fairly low quality. If anyone can identify any of these birds then it would be much appreciated by me.

In particular, photo (a) was taken one minute before the earlier photo in this thread which has helpfully been identified as a juvenile bateleur, so I do wonder if (a) is the same bird. Any comments on this would be welcome.

I'm not a bird expert, but I get the impression from comments received on this forum that it's quite difficult to distinguish between some species of eagle, so I completely appreciate that it may not be possible to provide any identifications with certainty based on my photos.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• olare motorogi6.jpg
    olare motorogi6.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 42
  • olare motorogi7.jpg
    olare motorogi7.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 38
  • olare motorogi8.jpg
    olare motorogi8.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 44
Agree with James (with Tom’s mark up) above but 8) looks like a Yellow-billed stork rather than a spoonbill (eye position, bill colour, nostrils)

I have one further photo for identification that I took from inside our tent in camp. Can anyone identify this bird for me please? Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• porini lion camp1.jpg
    porini lion camp1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 36
A Steppe Eagle
B&C just guessing Hooded Vulture for B and Wahlberg’s Eagle for C

You can also get better photos with a little adjustment for these. I'm not sure if it helps with b, but I think it might with c.

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 23
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back