• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya, Skua (1 Viewer)

rafnuss

Hi all,
Not very good picture but as it's a rather uncommon bird on the Kenyan Coast, I thought I would still ask for some help.

Attachments

• RN5_4174.jpg
    RN5_4174.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 162
  • RN5_4177.jpg
    RN5_4177.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 152
  • RN5_4181.jpg
    RN5_4181.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 115
  • RN5_4182.jpg
    RN5_4182.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 130
  • RN5_4184.jpg
    RN5_4184.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 115
some more photos

Attachments

• RN5_4189.jpg
    RN5_4189.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 109
  • RN5_4194.jpg
    RN5_4194.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 111
  • RN5_4199.jpg
    RN5_4199.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 129
  • RN5_4200.jpg
    RN5_4200.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 122
  • RN5_4201.jpg
    RN5_4201.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 130
The pale body argues against it being a Skua.
Needs someone with oceanic bird expertise to identify it. Your photos should be very adequate for that.

Arctic Skua is my gut feeling. Deepest part is in the chest and looks like two white primaries rather than one for LTS. Difficult to be sure.

It's obviously a skua (genus Stercorarius), I don't understand the above comment. It's a bit tricky, but I'd say Pomarine skua is ruled out on structure. My best guess is Arctis Skua: the last pic (#10) shows a relatively extensive wing flash (though not very obvious), extending to P5 at least, which would rule out Long-tailed.

Arctic Skua is my gut feeling. Deepest part is in the chest and looks like two white primaries rather than one for LTS. Difficult to be sure.
It seems to have a very old (unmoulted) outer primary (the one that seems "white", and appears to be moulting some other feather tracts. The primary flash (here showing as a subdued one) is more extensive than 2 primaries.

I have to agree that I don't see a skua in this. The deep chesty appearance, white belly and rump remind me of Sooty Gull. I would guess an immature as it doesn't look clean enough for an adult. From experience in the Middle East and East Africa, lone birds can look very much like skuas on first glance.

I have to agree that I don't see a skua in this. The deep chesty appearance, white belly and rump remind me of Sooty Gull. I would guess an immature as it doesn't look clean enough for an adult. From experience in the Middle East and East Africa, lone birds can look very much like skuas on first glance.

Agree with that.

I think this is a skua and although it's probably impossible to be certain, there's a lot going for it for long-tailed skua.

I'm struggling to find any pics of Sooty gull with such a neat dark breast band and paler head, whereas this is quite often seen on long-tailed skua - see http://wwwsapphirepelagics.blogspot.com/2018/07/1st-summer-long-tailed-skua.html

Doesn't sooty gull have dark underwings in all ages? The pale underwing looks better for a skua.

The jizz looks fine for LTS, with the deepest part of the chest level with the forewing, tapering into a very svelte rear end

The primary flashes look bang on for LTS - I'm seeing white in the shaft area restricted to the outer few primaries, and none anywhere else.

I had my doubts about it being a Skua from the start but, being the shrinking violet that I am, was not confident to voice my opinion on such a shot but it's interesting to see the swings in the debate.

I think this is a skua and although it's probably impossible to be certain, there's a lot going for it for long-tailed skua.

I'm struggling to find any pics of Sooty gull with such a neat dark breast band and paler head, whereas this is quite often seen on long-tailed skua - see http://wwwsapphirepelagics.blogspot.com/2018/07/1st-summer-long-tailed-skua.html

Doesn't sooty gull have dark underwings in all ages? The pale underwing looks better for a skua.

The jizz looks fine for LTS, with the deepest part of the chest level with the forewing, tapering into a very svelte rear end

The primary flashes look bang on for LTS - I'm seeing white in the shaft area restricted to the outer few primaries, and none anywhere else.

That's pretty convincing, I cant see it as Sooty Gull, I haven't seen that species make these sort of shapes although my experience has been from a flattish Red Sea. I think its a small stercorarius sp. and can buy into what you are saying.

Whereas I'm struggling to find images of a Skua with a white uppertail / rump, I'm in the Sooty Gull camp, purely on that. If you consider the quality of the shots and the distance, the breast and under parts, also look good to me for the Gull.

Last edited:
immature small skua for me too (arctic or long-tailed but leaning towards LTS), basically on pale underwings but also structure and the fact that immature Stercorarius do have pale based barred upper tail coverts which at distance and in such shots can appear pure white.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back