• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

novice in upstate New York (1 Viewer)

the duck

Hi everyone,
Total novice here.

I recently posted to find out about two Eastern Phoebes who nest at our house each spring. Thanks for the i.d., it's been fun to research them a bit.

I'm writing now about a bird I'm watching who's ground feeding on dandelions a lot today. Maybe a variety of finch?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• DSCF4080 copy.jpg
    DSCF4080 copy.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 69
That is a male House Finch. Their color ranges from red to orange to yellow. The brown streaking on the lower belly, white or light brown wingbars, the curved upper ridge of the upper mandible, and the more orangey color rule out Purple Finch (the only other really similar species expected in your area).

Hi Matt, your bird is a male House Finch, as Bird Nut #1 says.

eta: It's good to see you again. Please keep these questions coming.

Thanks everyone!
The first reply looks very accurate too - the Common Crossbill. Are they the same as the male House Finch?
No, they are not the same species. Crossbills have more red color, no wingbars, shorter tails, larger crossed bills...Quite a bit different.

Thanks, very interesting. Lots of bird activity at our house the past week or so - maybe because it's finally feeling like real spring. Prior to that it was like one long, extended month of March...
Thanks again everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back