• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

Crisp layer of snow, minus 20 C overnight, warming to minus 15 C during the day. After a spell out of the country, trudged across to replenish the feeders today ...only a brief look round, but did get the 2016 year list started, albeit rather modestly:

1. White-tailed Eagle - 1 adult (rare bird on my land in winter, but started last year in similar style I seem to remember)
2. Great Spotted Woodpecker
3. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
4. Great Tit
5. Blue Tit
6. Marsh Tit
7. Raven
8. Jay
9. Magpie

Thermometer this morning
and
Some bugger has a winter food storage collected in full.

Attachments

• IMG_20160107_061657.jpg
    IMG_20160107_061657.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20151219_121233.jpg
    IMG_20151219_121233.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 145
I agree, but Goldfinches are nice too, unfortunately Brenda seems to have stolen mine ;)

Just two species added today before the snow started in earnest:

24 Robin
25 Jay

The Goldfinches are happier here with me Richard .Have also 16 blue tits ,4 great tits, 3 lovely long tailed tits , several chaffinch and bramblings. Never seen a Jay or not yet!

Last edited:
Female Woodpecker visiting the garden to feed. Love to see her head banging our lawn. Rare to see her,The male, of our resident pair, is much more common. Really Blustery & Rain. 2pm. Saxlingham Green

With Jos' minus 20 and Wari's near minus 30 I feel less inclined to complain about the sleet and snow here, at least I don't have to put on polar clothing when I go outside!
We've had a female Great spotted Woodpecker visiting all winter, not seen a male in the garden at all. Two more species to add today, one flying over as I replenished the feeders, the other hovering over the fields in the gale force winds (no prizes for guessing which bird was doing what ;) ):

26 Lesser Redpoll
27 Common Kestrel

Err, make that three new species today, the group of Fieldfare and Starling that were thinking of settling down for the night just got a nasty fright:

28 Sparrowhawk

Last edited:
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)

*Richard, we have had a female Red-bellied Woodpecker coming to our feeders all winter but have not seen the male in the yard at all this winter.

That's fascinating Richard and Larry, re the incidence that you see females as opposed to males. With our resident pair, I only recorded the female green woodpecker once last year , in our garden, and that was at the same time as the male. So today's appearance of the very unusual appearance of our female was a real surprise to me. We frequently see our male- he is in and out all of the time, lol.

Here is a picture which I took of the male some time ago, in much sunnier times :

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...=ec5c54d47269e4921d82797cb2f69011&oe=56FEFC56

Last edited:
That's fascinating Richard and Larry, re the incidence that you see females as opposed to males.

At my feeders, sex ratios are very biased amongst Great and Blue Tits - in both cases, nearly 80% of birds are males, and the vast majority of these are adult males as opposed to first-year birds (all the females and young birds migrate out).

More sedentary, the woodpeckers however are far more evenly split between males and females.

20. Channel-billed Cuckoo
Another very nice garden tick, a pair were being quite extraordinarily noisy in the neighbour's garden!

Sorry (and me as a BF mod) taking this thread off topic, I apologize.

Back on topic: I have not seen a "new" bird in yard since the Northern Flicker!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back