• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two more Barcelona birds (1 Viewer)

ednamex

Here are two more from Barcelona yesterday.
Sorry for the terrible quality of the pics!
Ed

Attachments

• DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0088.JPG
    DSC_0088.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 135
Well, it's overall colder, greyer-toned than say, Meadow or Tree Pipits, there's no buffy background to the breast/breast sides, supercilium is well-marked behind the eye, I've probably omitted something else more obvious....

Hi Richard,

Well, it's overall colder, greyer-toned than say, Meadow or Tree Pipits, there's no buffy background to the breast/breast sides, supercilium is well-marked behind the eye, I've probably omitted something else more obvious....

Thanks for the hints! How about the difference to the Rock Pipit ... supercilium not as clearly marked, as the main criterion?

Regards,

Henning

That's right Henning, plus Rock Pip looks very 'dirty' below and darker overall, darker legs than Water Pip too.
I hadn't even considered it as I imagine it never (or very very rarely) occurs in Barcelona!

Hi Richard,

That's right Henning, plus Rock Pip looks very 'dirty' below and darker overall, darker legs than Water Pip too.
I hadn't even considered it as I imagine it never (or very very rarely) occurs in Barcelona!

Ah, that simplifies things! ;-) I was admittedly thinking of Northern Germany, where you can have Water and Rock Pipits with similar frequency.

Thanks for pointing out their overall tone is different from that of Meadow Pipits (which is even more frequent here), I tend to get lost in hard-to-observe minor details when I try to rely on my birding book alone.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back