• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

dianeh

(I think there are going to be some sub-forums added here but I'll go ahead and start some of our favorite topics up to get things going)

Not a lot of activity at my feeders today. The usual blue jays, rock doves, grackles, red-winged blackbirds but also a few American goldfinch and white throated sparrows.

Last edited:
Today at the feeder, a little bit north of you, Diane, I had Juncos, chickadees, and cardinals. I also had to throw out all my mixed seed (about 10 lbs) because it had gotten wet and started to get mouldy. Rats!

A little further north still, :) I had a dozen chickadees today along with my favorite, pine grosbeaks and just a few evening grosbeaks. Only one rb nuthatch today which is quite odd and a little alarming... where's the other one?? :(

Greetings!
I suppose with the cold weather we are now having,20's and 30's the bears will be hybernating and I can put up some feeders...In the meantime... my little makeshift, deck-mounted dish is getting a lot of activity from my regulars; titmice, chickadees, cardinals, downies, red-bellies, doves, blue jays, gold, purple, and housefinches, white-throats and nuthatches.
p.s.
What is the difference between quick reply and post reply?

Celeste said:
Greetings!
I suppose with the cold weather we are now having,20's and 30's the bears will be hybernating and I can put up some feeders...In the meantime... my little makeshift, deck-mounted dish is getting a lot of activity from my regulars; titmice, chickadees, cardinals, downies, red-bellies, doves, blue jays, gold, purple, and housefinches, white-throats and nuthatches.
p.s.
What is the difference between quick reply and post reply?
Post Reply will give you all the options such as font, colour of text, smilies. Wherease Quick Reply will only give you bold and some other options.

This is especially true if you turn on WYSIWIG posting. See the Help Section for more help on that.

Ollie
BF Tech

The most beautiful Winter Wren stopped by the window feeder today. What a fun bird to watch.

Other birds today were Chickadees,White-breasted Nuthatch,Sparrows,Juncos,Housefinches,Goldfinches,Bluejays and one big,fat Squirrel which I tried a staring down match eye to eye through the kitchen window,but he just kept on eating everything in sight while staring right back at me;(

I wish I could say that my feeders are overflowing this week but quite the contrary. Very little activity for the last 2 weeks. I don't ever remember going 3 days without filling my feeders. I emptied them all last night just so there was fresh seed but I am not even getting my usual gazillion house finches. Can't figure out why either.

Last edited:
We had the first real snow of the season over night, about 8". This morning there are lots of N. Junkos, BC Chickadees, A. Goldfinches and Blue jays at the feeders. A pair of Downies, 4 A. Crows and half a dozen House Sparrows and that's about it. It makes a busy scene but certainly not very exciting. I still think that the lack of natural feed in my area this year may result in a very poor winter for birding.
Oh well, there will still be exciting moments, there always are.

I've had fewer birds at my feeders for about a month now...I usually take a gallon of seeds a day to my three feeders (excluding thistle feeders), but I've only had to fill them a few times in the last couple of weeks. I'm not glad to see someone else has fewer visitors, but at least I don't feel like it's my situation alone. I did see the first goldfinches of the season today - what a welcome sight! Still see blue jays, cardinals, doves (mourning), nuthatches (white throated), and chickadees regularly, and the occasional red bellied woodpecker, but nothing like in the past. I'm hoping it's just a fluke, soon to be over.

Oh, happy day! The first little pine siskin appeared in the midst of a bunch of goldfinches, happily eating away on a thistle feeder!

Supposed to have some snow tonight and tomorrow here in northwest Indiana....we shall see. Sometimes we get all excited, and things sort of 'shift' and we end up with not much of anything! Wait and see.

I'll jump in to say hi/bye- having knee replacement surgery today. I'm getting used to this site and enjoy the new contributors. We're due a few inches of snow tonight - I've filled every feeder I can find - not sure the husband will keep up but I do have a friend who will check on them. As my computer is on the second floor - not sure when I'll get back here - incentive!! Later....

Currently snowing here in southeast Pennsylvania were expecting over a foot of snow by Saturday night.Only the regular birds at the feeders.Cardinals,house sparrows,song sparrow,mourning doves I'm hoping for some winter finches soon.

Lots of rain down here in South Jersey - and wind. Birds at the feeders and in the backyard today were: house finches, American Goldfinch, cardinals, white throated sparrows and morning doves.

I guess Sara won't see this for awhile but I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.

The snow has changed things at my feeders. Since yesterday I've had visits from Pine Siskins, Common Redpolls, American Tree Sparrows, Song Sparrows and Mourning Doves. I already had Blue Jays, Northern Juncos, Black-Capped Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers, American Goldfinches, House Sparrows, European Starlings and American Crows. Now the question is whether the additional species hang around?

Dan we got over a foot of snow here Pennsylvania and it's coming your way get ready.We had mourning doves house sparrows and cardinals at the feeders.

It is snowing like crazy here. We must have had a foot aleady, and it's not over. Lots of birds, but they are having a heck of a time with snow blowing in all directions. We have-nuthatches, juncos, titmice, house, purple and gold finches, downies, red-bellies, cardinals, chickadees, doves and very few bluejays. I was watching 2 crows, perched side by side, and it looked like they were preening eachother.

white-eyed vireo visited

Cool weather here and a chance of a freeze tonight. I don't have a seed feeder but I put out some suet for the Mockingbird and we got a pretty good yard list for the day--Mockingbird, Blue Jay, Common Grackle, Carolina Wren, Cardinal, Tufted Titmouse, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Red-Shouldered Hawk, White-Eyed Vireo. The vireo is not at all rare in this area but it's a new one for my yard list. It sat on the new fence that we had repaired earlier in the morning and looked at the other birds -- perhaps it was just curious about the activity.

Several White-Throated Sparrows stayed in my yard last winter, but they are missing in action along with the Yellow-Rumped Warblers I complained of in another thread.

St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana

That's quite a list, Dawn.

Like many other posters here - we had snow too. Not as much as people north of us. It was snow, sleet and rain - pretty nasty. Pretty good showing at the feeders. WT sparrows, gold finch, house finches, dark eyed juncos, cardinals, blue jays, grackles, rw blackbirds, starlings, morning doves, carolina chickadees and tufted titmouse.

peachfront said:
Cool weather here and a chance of a freeze tonight. I don't have a seed feeder but I put out some suet for the Mockingbird and we got a pretty good yard list for the day--Mockingbird, Blue Jay, Common Grackle, Carolina Wren, Cardinal, Tufted Titmouse, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Red-Shouldered Hawk, White-Eyed Vireo. The vireo is not at all rare in this area but it's a new one for my yard list. It sat on the new fence that we had repaired earlier in the morning and looked at the other birds -- perhaps it was just curious about the activity.

Several White-Throated Sparrows stayed in my yard last winter, but they are missing in action along with the Yellow-Rumped Warblers I complained of in another thread.

St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back