• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Very, very busy today, which is suprising as it is much milder and nearly all the snow has gone.
Two garden firsts are a Stock Dove (feeding with 5 woodpigeons) and a female Reed Bunting (identified by this site).
Bramblings now number at least three.
A pied Wagtail has made my garden its winter home and spends practically all day under the feeders.
Goldfinch numbers have now hit 20 and it is pleasing to see that Greenfinch numbers are in the teens.
Starlings are winning though, with 30 or more invading the feeders.
I'm still waiting for my first Siskin and I would do practically anything for a Nuthatch.

This fellow came back again today and I managed this through the window.
Nuhatch was here all day yesterday (on and off of course)
We had Fieldfares this morning......quite happy with the Blackbirds yet my Blackbirds chase any Thrush that visits ?
Loads of LTT's yesterday---must have been 12-15 in one go.

Attachments

• IMG_7863.JPG
    IMG_7863.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 61
We had Fieldfares this morning......quite happy with the Blackbirds yet my Blackbirds chase any Thrush that visits ?

Lovely Image Dave of a fine bird in any location never mind the garden :t:

and yes my Blackbirds are very territorial, although when thrushes do visit its the Mistle Thrush that just ignores them, whereas the Redwings are very easily chased off

lovely capture . You must give me the number of your window cleaner lol :eek!: I cannot get a picture like that without the glass :-C
All these nuthatches and fieldfares are making me dead jealous. I haven't even seen a goldfinch in my garden this year :C

Lovely Image Dave of a fine bird in any location never mind the garden :t:

and yes my Blackbirds are very territorial, although when thrushes do visit its the Mistle Thrush that just ignores them, whereas the Redwings are very easily chased off

Thanks Dave.
BTW is the Dipper still knocking around-I never did manage to get there although I would love to spend some time in your area.

Having paused the video at 17 and at 30 seconds and refering to one of my birds books,as a non expert I'm going for a Willow Tit.
"The black cap extends further down than the Marsh Tit" as stated in the Collins Birds of Britain book.

Last edited:
so what was the result Will ? which tit was it in the end . Can't leave us dangling .:-O

Hi

Well I wouldn't know for sure, thats why i'm asking the experts on here! Did read on a website that Willow Tits not usually on feeders? But don't know if thats true or not. Its definitley one or the other though :)

Did read on a website that Willow Tits not usually on feeders? But don't know if thats true or not. Its definitley one or the other though :)

Both regularly occur at feeders (I get the two speces together at two of my feeding sites), but the bird in your video is a Marsh Tit.

Read post 16/17 of THIS thread.

Comparison shots below of Marsh and Willow Tits

Attachments

• Poecile lab.jpg
    Poecile lab.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Poecile lab 3.jpg
    Poecile lab 3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Both regularly occur at feeders (I get the two speces together at two of my feeding sites), but the bird in your video is a Marsh Tit.

You just beat me to it Jos. If you stop the video at the 36/37 second mark you can see a white spot on the upper mandible and I couldn't see any noticeable pale wing panel.

They are difficult in the field though unless you hear their calls. Sadly I can no longer hear them as my high freqency hearing is rubbish these days and I also have tinitus in the form of a continuous high pitched wistle, the result I think, of too many hours too close to military jets.

Luckily I only get Marsh in my garden so no problem with the ID here. I'll find a pic later if the old lap top will work tonight.

Lewis

Windows are a problem - they kill hundreds of millions of birds each year in the USA. Of course the problem is more with high-rise buildings than with houses.

I find the best solution is to keep feeders either well away from windows or else very close to them. Birds quite often fly into our living-room windows from the feeders just outside. However, as the feeders are only a foot away from the glass, the birds don't get up enough speed to hurt themselves. When the feeders were a few feet away, birds would knock themselves out when they hit the windows.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

We seem to have reached the same conclusion on this Jeff. I once lost 2 goldfinch in a day after putting up a new garden shed. This was easy to remedy by putting net curtains in the windows. Also lost a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker on the house window once. Net curtains are no good for birdwatching through though. Since we've had window feeders there have been far fewer accidents although the birds sometimes don't like their own reflections.

When we were in Canada this year, at my daughters we saw this Northern Parula looking stunned beneath the kitchen window.The people in the flat below thought about 'rescuing it' but I thought we should give it a few minutes to recover rather than more stress. Sure enough after a few mintutes it flew off, probably a long way south now. I wondered if you get them at yours.

Attachments

• 031-gfinch.jpg
    031-gfinch.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 53
  • marsh-tit.jpg
    marsh-tit.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 898-northern-parula.jpg
    898-northern-parula.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 899-northern-parula.jpg
    899-northern-parula.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 48

Read post 16/17 of THIS thread.

Comparison shots below of Marsh and Willow Tits

Thats what I thought too based on the wide beard,white cheeks ,softer colouring and less bold wing markings but to be honest I have never seen either bird in my garden . Every other tit though including my neighbour :-O

Here's a bit of early morning vid. with a House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, and a Goldfinch at the back on the nyger seeds.
Remember, it's a bit dark and murky out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsxP79lRSaI

nice vid :t: I must try this myself. Do you leave the camera out there set on record and retrieve it later ? Dayum I never thought of doing that.:-C

I'd try bringing the camera closer to just one of your feeders and capturing the birds on that feeder closeup say 2 foot or so;)

nice vid :t: I must try this myself. Do you leave the camera out there set on record and retrieve it later ?
It's a security cctv camera fixed in place. It records on motion, and I can see the live feed and recordings over the internet.
So if I'm bored, I can have a quick gander at what's being going on at home, including the feeders.

Great excitement, just came home from shopping to see 6 Long tailed tits on my feeders. That is the first time I have seen them in the garden. They are fabulous and I hope they will be back:-O

Great excitement, just came home from shopping to see 6 Long tailed tits on my feeders. That is the first time I have seen them in the garden. They are fabulous and I hope they will be back:-O

Excellent! mine love peanut butter smeared on the branch:t: but then so does all the other birds lol;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back