Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rye Harbour - tern, tern, bit-tern

Old Thursday 18th June 2009, 15:00   #1
pstraughan

Rye Harbour - tern, tern, bit-tern

Any birding day which starts and ends with a lifer and includes 53 species is a good one in my book.

The disappointment that the Little Terns have failed to nest at Rye Harbour again this year was offset by an early sighting of a Bittern rising up out of the reedbeds before flying across for a few seconds and dropping back in. My first sighting of this bird, although I heard one booming two years ago.

Elsewhere on the reserve, there were hundreds of Common and Sandwich Terns. Over 100 pairs of Mediterranean Gulls have nested this year. Sadly no Turtle Doves and only one Cuckoo was heard. Lots of small bird activity: Common and Lesser Whitethroat, Cetti's Reed and Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting and Linnet. Not a huge number of waders - Turnstone, Oystercatcher, a couple of Avocet , Redshank, Lapwing and Dunlin.

Th last bird of the day was my second lifer - a Corn Bunting.

It all made up for the fact that I ended up looking a bit like a male Linnet myself - managed to put the sun cream on most of my face but missed the forehead and bib area!

Pat
Old Thursday 18th June 2009, 15:13   #2
joannec

Congrats on the bittern Pat! Rye is good. I love Ternery Pool this time of year...must get down there soon.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 18th June 2009, 21:41   #3
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

I love Rye great place Rye Harbour

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: