• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What replaced the Custom Elite 7x26? (1 Viewer)

Did Bushnell offer a newer/better equivalent model?
Or is there any other company/model that is the same or better?

Since I traded one I owned, sold the other a few years later I always regretted not keeping one. For the last two years I have looked for old stock or the equivalent in pristine condition but found none worth paying the asking price. I have not seen any binocular come on the market that equaled the Bushnell custom (Elite) 7x26 given its reasonable price point. I did come across a seller(Japan) on Amazon last month who advertised a new pair but that seller wanted nearly $600 US plus shipping, maybe a collector would pay that price. I recently rechecked Amazon for that pair but could not find it.

Last edited:
For me, after I bought one of these Elites custom for my folks I wanted another set. Finally I found the Maven 7x 28mm . It is a C2 model. It was as good as I remember. But the Bushnell Elites to my recollection seemed to be a little easier to keep steady. It was good to fine such a good view in such a small binoculars.
Rob.

It's hard to believe these aren't still being made given their very long (60+ year) history. I see them still supposedly available from some online stores that are not the usual ones where optics enthusiasts shop (so I don't know if the businesses are reputable) and I expect there are still a good number of these sitting on store shelves of smaller businesses. Do a search that is more general than the exact model name, like "buy 7x26 Bushnell".

Any of the older Bushnell or Bausch & Lomb 7x26 Elite/Custom/Audubon models will be quite similar, as is the Monk 7x26 Explorer (also no longer manufactured).

--AP

I did the search as you suggested but didn’t even see any odd possible places that still carried them.

I had the B&L Audubon version many years ago and they worked well. Sold them though thinking that I needed a higher power. Now I have the 10x25 Legend HD compact. They are great. However, even though I learned how to hold them to minimize shaking, I’m older (as in “much older”) and would probably benefit from a lower power. I’d like to try the last available “new, improved” version of the Elites but I’m too late to the party. Someday maybe a good example will show up on eBay...
In the meantime I’ll need to look for a different brand.

Have you considered looking at the new Leica Trinovid 7 x 35? I appreciate it is a costly binocular compared to the B & L of yesteryear that you refer to.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back