Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2020

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 15:07   #26
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

What sort of date do Alpine Accs typically leave the island?
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 15:23   #27
Mike Montier

Hi Phil
Typical last dates for Alpine accentor in spring are between 3rd and 7th March, usually seen at the tower, Albercutx or the Mirador lower down the road.
Autumn arrivals commence at the very end of November.
Mike
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 15:25   #28
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Phil
Typical last dates for Alpine accentor in spring are between 3rd and 7th March, usually seen at the tower, Albercutx or the Mirador lower down the road.
Autumn arrivals commence at the very end of November.
Mike
Many thanks Mike
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 18:42   #29
kevinh

Another great day at Albufera today in the company of Geordie Dave an Mike Swiss.
The usual 25+ Night herons were roosting along the main canal and it was along here we had a perching Kingfisher which sat long enough to get some photos.
From the Sa Roca hides there were 2 Greylag geese, a single Wigeon and good numbers of Teal, Shoveler, Mallard and a few Shellduck. The only waders there were Lapwing and Black winged Stilt until a group of 9 Spotted redshank flew in. Purple swamp hen was also there.
The Cibollar hides held nothing new apart from Water pipit so we moved onto the power station hide. Much to Mike’s displeasure ( we dragged him there kicking and screaming). However this turned out to be a good choice as the best birds of the day we’re seen there. The waders included Spotted and Common Redshank as well as Greenshank. Good numbers of Wildfowl there included Wigeon, Pochard and 4 male Pintail. Also there 3 Black necked grebe amongst the usual Little grebe but the bird of the day was undoubtedly the stunning male Hen harrier that Mike picked up as it flew towards us.
As always a great day with great company.
These are the days!
Old Saturday 11th January 2020, 19:02   #30
Geordie Dave

After the dramas of Albufera I called in at Maristany on the way home just in time to see a female marsh harrier land on a male mallard and hold it under water to drown it before dragging into the edge of the reeds and eating it for tea!! The mute swan is still there on the far side of the pond. Another excellent day.
Old Sunday 12th January 2020, 18:03   #31
Mcnswiss2

The Saga continues. Wonderful day out in Lluc, where you are allowed to walk down into the Valley on a Sunday.
Accompanied with Mike and Jane, the three Amigos went forth. The weather was perfect, and the company even better.
First birds seen included Blue tits and Song Thrushes around the Monastery. Three Red Kites flew past.
Further down the Valley, numerous Chaffinches, Chiffchaffs, Robins, Blackbirds, Goldfinches and Song thrush were seen. Possible Mistle thrush was heard but not seen.
At the bottom of the Valley by the small bridge a Cirl bunting was seen.
Several Ravens were seen overhead.
At the end of the Valley, at least 16 Griffon Vultures and 4 Black Vultures appeared.
As we entered the “Hamlet” at the end of the Valley, two Dunnocks were seen or heard.
A pleasant walk back included a few further species, including blackcaps, Crag Martins, Great tits. Two Booted Eagles and a further two Red Kites appeared. Several Meadow Pipits were seen.
No sign of the Yellowhammer that was recently reported near the Monastery.
Thanks Guys for a great day in the wonderful Valley of Lluc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D961E2EA-0CE4-4C79-B015-097C294B3E14.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	714795  

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Sunday 12th January 2020 at 18:08.
Old Sunday 12th January 2020, 19:38   #32
Mike Montier

Thanks Mike, Kevin and David for another great day out and some super birding.
The drive home over the mountains in the low evening sun was unforgettable, absolutely stunning.
I even got two Barn owls tonight, one on the way out and a different one on the way home. Rounded off a superb day very nicely.
Cap Ses Salines in the morning.
Mike
Old Monday 13th January 2020, 17:07   #33
Mike Montier

A very frosty start to the day with ice on the car.
196 Balearic shearwaters flew east from Cap de Ses Salines but little else of note on the sea.
Two Mistle Thrushes were present and many raptors were in attendance, all local birds including one Bonelli’s Eagle.
Mike
Old Monday 13th January 2020, 17:19   #34
Mcnswiss2

A mid afternoon visit to S’Albufera. Very quiet there in both number of people and birds seen. The weather is still gorgeous, with blue skies and sun kissed reeds.
The usual birds seen there included Purple Gallinule, Water Rails, Common Snipe, Common and Green Sandpipers, Blackwinged Stilts, Teal, Shoverlers, Gadwall, Shellducks, Wigeon, Lapwings, Great White, Little and Cattle Egrets, Cetti’s and Sardinian Warblers, Water pipits, Serins, and several Marsh Harriers.
Amazing to see the Snipe and Water Rails feeding in the open as the sun was going down.
My first Great Crested Grebe of the year was also seen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3EFE70BF-A7EA-42BA-82F2-F8648F3DB7B7.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	714889  Click image for larger version

Name:	5E173186-6D79-4836-81EE-79F59EF3338E.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	714890  Click image for larger version

Name:	035A830C-FC30-4E87-B2B8-E8FD1A1CE7AB.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	714891  Click image for larger version

Name:	9476C192-FE59-4FDF-8B7A-D3F6A09533B2.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	714893  Click image for larger version

Name:	C7360EB4-80B2-4CBB-8FF0-08886F4469FB.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	714895  

Old Monday 13th January 2020, 18:25   #35
Geordie Dave

Went to the south of the island today and after clearing frost from the car drove down to meet Kevin at Salobra de Campos and once the low mist cleared it was a beautiful sunny morning. A word of warning there is still a lot of standing water about and you will need wellies to get along Eddies Track. There were around 40 flamingo with the usual shelduck, plenty of marsh harriers, a grey plover and 11 curlew together with 30+ linnets and a single bluethroat that was playing hard to get. We went round to the salt pans at the Es Trenc road and from the side of the road saw Kentish and ringed plover, little stint and Dunlin. We then called in at Colonia de Sant Jordi and saw several hundred golden plover on one of the islands in the sea behind Hotel Marques. Next stop was to the polo pitches at Sa Barrala which produced 40-50 lapwing, several hoopoe and 40+ skylark. Our final visit was to the monastery at Randa late in the afternoon for 2 red kites and a grey wagtail but sadly no ring ouzel. Another wonderful day in the Mallorca winter sunshine!!
Old Tuesday 14th January 2020, 16:47   #36
Mcnswiss2

One of the best “Tourist” spots for family (and birding) up North is in the Roman Ruins in Alcudia. The old town also has some of the best restaurants and great chocolate cake!
As the ruins are surrounded by the Mountains and near to the sea, the position offers great opportunities for bird watching.

Birds seen included Booted Eagles, Kestrals, Marsh Harrier, Hoopoes, Cattle and Little Egrets, Yellow legged and Audouins Gulls, Cormorant, Serins, Goldfinches, Chaffinches,Chiffchaff, Black Redstart, Song Thrush, Meadow Pipits, Greenfinch and White Wagtail.
Dunnocks and wrens were seen on a previous visit last year.
The Trees are in Bloom again.

A quick stop at S’Albufereta on the way home provided 20 Flamingoes, 5 Marsh Harriers, 3 Great white Egrets, Sandwich terns, and the usual ducks.
No sign of the Bluethroat recently reported at the tower.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	941BBFA8-D85C-4A69-9AE8-9ABE9094CF7D.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	714990  
Old Tuesday 14th January 2020, 19:42   #37
Geordie Dave

A more leisurely day today starting out at the Depuradora where a single Ibis was the highlight then on to the Doghouse, S’Amarador platform and Cami des Poll where again there was little to be seen. Arrived at Albufera just as a school trip was leaving and seemed to have the whole place to myself. With water levels quite high there were almost no waders around, a couple of snipe and spotted redshank and nothing else. There was a great crested grebe in the canal next to the main bridge but it was staying close to the reeds at the waters edge. I was beginning to think it was going to be a quiet day as I went on to the Bishop hide at Es Cibollar and immediately spotted a peregrine falcon sat on a mound in the grassed areas north of the hide towards the hotels. I’m guessing it had just eaten as it seemed happy to sit and preen for over half an hour. Eventually it made a move to sit on the tall bare tree (the one like a telegraph pole) only to be chased by a male hen harrier that came in from the right hand side. After a bit of a scuffle the harrier continued on to the left in the direction of the power station where Mike Swiss, Kevin and I had seen it just a couple of days earlier. It just shows that even on the quietest of days you’re only one or two birds away from a memorable trip out. Tomorrow Mortix!
Old Wednesday 15th January 2020, 17:25   #38
Mcnswiss2

Local visit to La Gola and Campanet on another beautiful day.

Birds seen at La Gola included Common Sandpiper, Sandwich Terns, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Audouins Gull, Yellow Legged Gull, Moorhen, Sardinian Warbler, Water Pipits, Chiffchaffs, Robins, and Song Thrush.

This was followed by a walk around the fields in Campanet.
Birds seen included RedKites, Booted Eagles, Kestrals, Red Legged Partridge, Serins, Cirl Bunting, Goldfinches, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Black Redstarts, Song Thrush, Great Egret and Cattle Egret.

Although no special birds were seen today, it was still an amazing day for January.
Old Wednesday 15th January 2020, 18:36   #39
Geordie Dave

Went to Mortix this morning on a beautiful, sunny winters day. The vineyards were alive with small birds that were very active and not always easy to identify. Plenty of cirl bunting, greenfinch and goldfinch were mixed in with the dozens and dozens of black redstart and chaffinch. About 200-300 yards short of the reservoir I found at least 6 brambling in a small wooded area. A little further on I had a brief sighting of a blue/grey and pink warbler that may have been a Dartford Warbler, it seemed to be showing too much pink to be a Balearic. At about 11.30am the first vultures appeared, a distant group of 4 that were too far away to identify. It was later at around 1pm when I got views of 10 together, some definitely griffon and at least 2 very dark and probably Black Vultures. There were plenty of blackcaps about and dozens of small thrushes, those that I could ID were all song thrushes. In 6 hours I saw 5 people other than a few workers at the vineyards. A magical day in a magical place that is rapidly becoming my favourite walk in the north of the island
Old Wednesday 15th January 2020, 18:57   #40
Geordie Dave

Forgot to mention dunnock in the steep valley below the reservoir and blue tit at the top of the valley near the turn off to the refuge
Old Thursday 16th January 2020, 16:43   #41
Mcnswiss2

A very brief visit to Cala San Vincenc this afternoon.
Beautiful day with calm seas. No sign of Shearwaters or Gannets.
Birds seen included, Yellow legged Gulls, Audouin Gulls and Black headed Gulls, Cormorants, Shags, Sardinian Warblers, Balearic Warblers, Black Redstart, Chiffchaff, Serins, Goldfinches, Ravens, Crossbills, Great tits, and Blue Rock Thrushes.
Saint Antoni festivals begins...hopefully the weather remains good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	80C4850C-E3A4-4CB0-97FB-54FED25BDF8F.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	715142  Click image for larger version

Name:	E61F5897-2C92-47F2-8CDD-488125058B15.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	715143  

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Thursday 16th January 2020 at 16:47.
Old Thursday 16th January 2020, 19:47   #42
Geordie Dave

I slightly later start today and didn’t get to Son Real until after 12pm. Walked down to the hide at the drinking pond, nothing but 2 chiffchaffs for 45 minutes then it all started to happen. Blackcap, 2 serin and a male and female crossbill arrived followed by a hawfinch which sat for 10 minutes in the same spot. A second hawfinch then arrived and chased it away and then the pair sat in adjacent trees for another 10 minutes before coming down to the pool, unfortunately at the far end and behind the grasses. After a few more minutes they both departed, closely followed by me. I walked the rest of route 4 down to the beach and turned north in the direction of Can Picafort, 2 turnstone were feeding on the rocks with a few Kentish plover. A single Audouins gull was on the rocks near the ruins. I then turned back along the coast towards the viewing platform and came across 2 thekla larks feeding in the short grass between the wire fence and the sea. As I was making my way towards the platform I had good views of 2 Balearic warblers in the low bushes along from the ladder that crosses the fence just below the platform. They were very active in that area for 10 minutes or more. Another glorious sunny day around 18 degrees and with no wind perfect for walking. In 5 hours I saw only 3 other people enjoying the afternoon.
Old Friday 17th January 2020, 19:41   #43
Geordie Dave

I started the morning in Port de Pollenca watching the locals dragging the tree in from the sea on its journey from Formentor enroute to the town square in readiness for the tree climbing as part of Sant Antonio celebrations after the bonfires last night. I bumped into Mike Swiss and his wife Susan. Mike and I decided to walk through the Boquer Valley, we should have stayed in town with Susan. There are signs of activity at the finca with builders and scaffolding at the front of the building. We walked through the valley and had a couple of close up sightings of a dark morph booted eagle. Towards the sea we had views of two possible Balearic warblers together but couldn’t be sure. Other than dozens of black redstarts and a few Sardinian warblers there was nothing else to report although we did see a large brown/white gull type bird out to sea, appearing much larger than nearby yellow legged gulls. Once again we’ll never know. I later went on to Albuferta and then made a quick stop at Cala St Vicenc to round off a quiet day. Flying back home tomorrow and returning on 1st March. An excellent 10 days in wonderful weather; 108 species means a decent start to 2020. My thanks as always to my fellow birding pals for their company, pies and plenty of laughs. I’ve set Mike Swiss a target of 120 by the time I return!!
Old Friday 17th January 2020, 20:36   #44
Mike Montier

Thanks for all your posts David, it was a pleasure to be out birding with you.
Safe trip home and see you next time.
You are doing very well in the BigYear, I’m on 93 so I have some catching up to do whilst you are away.
Mike
Old Saturday 18th January 2020, 19:22   #45
Mcnswiss2

We decided to risk the weather warnings and headed to Son Real for afternoon walks. Perfect Blue Skies and Sunny weather welcomed us.
First to the Farmland by the main Finca. So many Goldfinches, Song Thrushes, Black Redstarts, House Sparrows, Serins, Robins, etc.
Next the visit to the hide. In the first 15 minutes little happened and then the birds came in..including Chiffchaff, Great Tits, Sardinian Warbler, Serins, Blackbirds, Blackcaps, Robins, Song Thrush, Crossbills,House Sparrows. No sign of the 2 Hawfinches mentioned above.
Walking down to the beach via Path number 4 was very productive. Red Legged Partridges, Song Thrushes, 2 Thekla Larks, Sardinian Warblers as well as 2 Balearic Warblers in the same area that Geordie Dave reported. Additionally, A Dartford Warbler was heard and briefly seen in the same spot!
Two more Thekla larks were seen on the beach, as well as Cormorants, Kentish and Little Ringed Plovers, Audouins and Yellow Legged Gulls. No sign of the Turnstones previously reported.
A wonderful afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	54D6EC0C-1E0A-4E10-8AD4-EC44AE249CED.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	715297  
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 06:27   #46
Mike Montier

Storm Gloria has ripped through Mallorca, no doubt doing some damage and flooding along the way.
Nobody has ventured out and I expect it has put a dampener on all the celebrations of Sant Antoni which is a shame, bonfires in the street and demons all over the place are a lot of fun.
It may have livened things up bird-wise so I will be out as soon as it passes.
Mike
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 17:41   #47
Maties Rebassa

Dragonflies and damselflies

Good morning to everyone. We are pleased to inform you that the next Balearic Bird Report of the GOB will include among its contents a section dedicated to the odonates of the Balearic Islands, a group of insects composed by dragonflies and damselflies. It will gather the most interesting records for each species observed during the year 2019 on our islands: relevant specimen numbers, localities of interest, phenological data, mating or egg laying, behaviors, predation, etc.

For this section to have a significant data collection, the collaboration of the greatest number of people will be welcome. Therefore, we encourage you to send your observations to the email address [email protected]. Photographs that can enrich the section or help with species identification are also accepted. Each observation or photo must be accompanied by the following information:

- Species (scientific name)
- Observers
- Date of observation
- Location of the observation (as accurate as possible, providing UTM coordinates if possible)
- Other data of interest (behaviors, reproduction, interactions with other species or groups...)

If someone has older observations or photographs of unidentified specimens, we invite you to share them too. The objective is to encourage more people to enter this fascinating and still little known group of invertebrates, so that the section takes shape and volume and that together we enrich the current knowledge.

On the other hand, and to guide you through the identification for future observations, we have available a list of the 24 Odonata species recorded in the Balearic Islands, appearing in a taxonomic order. This can be requested by contacting us by email.

We await your contributions, and remain at your disposal.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Team work of the ODONATA BALEAR section.
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 20:10   #48
Mike Montier

Thank you Maties.
I will send all my records and photographs to the address given as will many others I’m sure.
A number of British birders are very interested in contributing to our knowledge of this exciting group of invertebrates.
We look forward to seeing the results in the annual report.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Monday 20th January 2020 at 20:49.
Old Tuesday 21st January 2020, 17:24   #49
Mike Montier

Storm Gloria has continued to wreak havoc across the Island leaving behind flooded roads, downed trees and sunken boats.
I have never seen waves so high, reportedly up to 14 meters, very unusual for the Mediterranean.
I am not thinking about the birds for once, just hoping there has been no loss of life like the last big storm.
Mike
Old Tuesday 21st January 2020, 18:43   #50
Rob Williams

Just booked up for Pollenca over Easter this year. Really looking forward to the trip.

Rob

Britain: 259 (latest Ferruginous Duck)
World: 1565 (latest Lesser Antillean Bullfinch)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: