• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

Hi Cheshirebirder.
We could drive the car, driver only, no passengers, to our nearest supermarket for essential shopping only.
I went twice a week but I was stopped nearly every time by the police.
They were very polite but firm. I had to show all documents to prove I was local and they asked a few questions.
I found it unnerving and certainly not pleasurable.
Saturday we should be allowed out for a walk at a designated time slot for a short period of time. The over 65’s have a specified time.
I still won’t be able to drive anywhere.
It has been very tough so it will be a huge relief to feel free again.
Mike

I think Gregor needs to open the property up as accommodation for birders with a garden list like that!

I know, I've had 23 garden ticks since lockdown started! I wish I'd been paying more attention before!

Mike, Finca Galatzo on the edge of Es Capdella was reliable for Long-tailed Tits in August/September last year, I also saw them there in October.

I am still waiting for a first garden Honey Buzzard, but it's still been a productive afternoon, with Pallid and Alpine Swifts along with Bee-eaters and two Peregrines overhead, and Redstart and Pied Flycatcher in the garden.

The Garden Warbler has been showing well and I was really pleased to get some photos of it eventually just now. I really think it's a beautiful and underrated species.

Attachments

• 3004garden (2).jpg
    3004garden (2).jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 3004garden2 (2).jpg
    3004garden2 (2).jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 65
Hi Cheshirebirder.
We could drive the car, driver only, no passengers, to our nearest supermarket for essential shopping only.
I went twice a week but I was stopped nearly every time by the police.
They were very polite but firm. I had to show all documents to prove I was local and they asked a few questions.
I found it unnerving and certainly not pleasurable.
Saturday we should be allowed out for a walk at a designated time slot for a short period of time. The over 65’s have a specified time.
I still won’t be able to drive anywhere.
It has been very tough so it will be a huge relief to feel free again.
Mike

Much firmer than here then. We are both walkers so have used our exercise time to walk out to the edge of town which has broadened what we’ve been able to see. Actually found a pair of little owls within a mile of the house- a bird I’ve struggled to see locally for years ! You do have a big advantage on summer migrants though, only had blackcap and chiffchaff from the house- not even a swallow yet ( have seen them on our walks )

Hi Cheshirebirder.
Mike

Hi Mike
To relieve the boredom, and get a reminder of the island, I've been looking at some of the live webcams around the island. I've seen a number of vehicles (mainly looking like builders vans) but also people out walking, or on the beach (Alcudia bay and El Arenal). I guess like here that are always those who will flount the regulations.
Hope you have an enjoyable walk.
Martin

Thanks Martin.
I think one adult is able to take children out but as you say, many people risk it and go out anyway. I think the beaches are being watched pretty thoroughly so I’m surprised.
Builders and essential services are out but when I walked to the chemist in my town, it was surreal. Not a soul in sight and an eerie silence. It’s normally buzzing.
I’m just wondering how long it will take to get back to normal. Different dates are being proffered but I think the government is very reluctant to let tourists back into Mallorca.
I think the effects will last for the rest of the year but time will tell.
We are only allowed to venture out 1km from our homes as from tomorrow so I don’t think I can get to any suitable habitat within that distance. I have already packed my rucksack in anticipation!
I do understand the cautiousness though, it’s been a terrible time for so many people worldwide.
Mike

Last edited:
Best of luck tomorrow Mike! Still plenty of migrants here today, so there will hopefully be a decent chance of you getting some tomorrow.

Several Willow Warblers, a Whitethroat and a female Common Redstart were all in the garden (presumably remaining from yesterday), along with certainly two and probably three or four Golden Orioles. I saw a male and female well, and a couple of minutes later one was calling from the opposite side of the valley, followed by calls coming from the neighbouring valley soon after! It amazes me how such a brightly-coloured bird can be so well-hidden among the trees.

Overhead was fairly quiet, conditions seemed perfect for raptor migration but that came to no avail, with a Bonelli's Eagle and a Black Vulture the raptor highlights. Also plenty more Bee-eaters, several Pallid Swifts and a single Alpine Swift. I haven't heard the Nightjars for four nights now, hopefully they'll start calling again soon. Scops Owls and Nightingales are still calling near the house every night.

Hi Gregor
Yes, it’s gone very quiet on the raptor front. I don’t know why either, the winds look good and it’s a great time of the year for Honey Buzzard but less than a handful have been logged.
Perhaps today will be better.
We are just off now, I can taste the freedom.
Only one kilometer allowed so it will be a struggle to find Willow Warbler, Whinchats, Whitethroat and Wood Warbler, I need them all for the year list.
I will post later, good luck for today.
Mike

15 Black Kites and 15 Tree Pipits over so far this morning, along with a Tree Pipit and a Willow Warbler in the garden. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the day brings!

Hi Gregor
Yes, it’s gone very quiet on the raptor front. I don’t know why either, the winds look good and it’s a great time of the year for Honey Buzzard but less than a handful have been logged.
Perhaps today will be better.
We are just off now, I can taste the freedom.
Only one kilometer allowed so it will be a struggle to find Willow Warbler, Whinchats, Whitethroat and Wood Warbler, I need them all for the year list.
Mike

Good luck Mike, I look forward to hearing what you find today! Conditions seem perfect for a Honey Buzzard today, fingers crossed!!

I saw what I was certain was a Hippolais warbler in the garden briefly this morning, and soon afterwards heard the attached call (recorded with my phone, hence the quality!).

I posted it on the identification forum on birdforum and one person thought it was Melodious Warbler and two thought Blackcap. Can anyone else help? I’ll keep looking this afternoon.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Nueva grabacio?n 10.m4a
    93.5 KB · Views: 79
Hi Gregor
Mike

Mike I know the rules ara a bit confusing, but if you are doing sport insteand or just "walking" you can be the whole municipality limits.
So you are jogging instead walking, so you can cross the 1 km limit.

Thank you Pep!
I will put on my running shorts and puff away down to Mondragó.
Shame birding is not classified as a sport then.
It’s a bit crazy though, people running and surfing and cycling and I can’t stay out more than one hour.

Gregor
I hope you see the hippolais again.
I have seen Melodious Warbler only twice here so they are very scarce.
I agree that your recording sounds like an angry Blackcap.
Mike

25 species seen from our walk near Mondragó this morning. I saw a Barn owl floating silently past the bedroom window before we left.
Just as we started off, I heard a Scops owl calling very near. It was light by then so he must be very keen to find a mate.
Stone curlews were calling, and Bee-eaters called from above, although, as is often the case, I couldn’t locate them.
A Cirl Bunting was singing from the wires as was a Serin.
Two Woodchats were near the entrance and both species of Spotted flycatcher were present.
A Kestrel, a Red Kite and a Booted Eagle were in the air and Turtle doves purred away in the background.
Thekla larks were active and Hoopoes were flying around.
The sweet song of Nightingales filled the air and the taste of freedom was glorious.
I can’t help thinking about the Red-footed falcons and Lesser Kestrels which are no doubt adorning the countryside on the central plain.
The salt pans may well have both Gull-billed and Whiskered terns accompanied by Collared pratincoles.
It didn’t take away from the beauty of our walk but I’m itching to go and see them.
Mike

Last edited:
Thank you Pep!
I will put on my running shorts and puff away down to Mondragó.
Shame birding is not classified as a sport then.
It’s a bit crazy though, people running and surfing and cycling and I can’t stay out more than one hour.
Mike

Mike and other visitors, walking, jogging, hiking are sports, so you can do hiking from 6 to 10 am and from 20 to 23 hours, and the limits are your municipality limits.
Limits for 1hour and 1 km are for children

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back