Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

UK death rate from C-19

Old Friday 24th April 2020, 19:46   #1
andyadcock

UK death rate from C-19

An alarming 13.6% of those testing positive in the UK have died from COV-19.

An even higher rate than Italy at 13.4%, Holland at 11.7%, Spain at 10.2% and the USA despite 52K deaths, is only at 5.6% of those testing positive so what's happened in the UK to produce this high mortality rate?

These are my own calculations so apologies if anyone finds errors.
Old Friday 24th April 2020, 20:09   #2
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post

An even higher rate than Italy at 13.4%, Holland at 11.7%, Spain at 10.2% and the USA despite 52K deaths, is only at 5.6% of those testing positive so what's happened in the UK to produce this high mortality rate?

The answer must be insufficient testing. The UK is not even testing its NHS staff... I really hate the "tested positive" figures, because they are so incomplete.

Germany (3.8%) tested quite a bit more and I do not see much difference in smoking habits or obesity levels (none that could explain the difference with the Netherlands, for example).
South Korea (2.4%) and Taiwan (1.5%) are hailed for "blanket testing" and they get close to (what I expect to be) the "real" mortality rate in populations with a similar age structure.
Old Friday 24th April 2020, 20:17   #3
dantheman
Bah humbug

Such figures on their own are fairly meaningless. What are the sources?

WHO reckons 3.4% on reported cases (3rd March)

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-rate/
Old Saturday 25th April 2020, 05:07   #4
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Such figures on their own are fairly meaningless. What are the sources?

WHO reckons 3.4% on reported cases (3rd March)

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-rate/
WHO figures are equally meaningless being as it's quite simply a complete guess! 3.4% of reported cases, Worldwide, that means some places will be worse than others, it won't be 3.4% everywhere.

Source, the site used by most people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 25th April 2020 at 05:14.
Old Saturday 25th April 2020, 05:36   #5
pshute

Might just be that the USA isn't testing everyone who dies before they're ever tested. I thought they were starting to though.
Old Saturday 25th April 2020, 06:12   #6
John Cantelo

Quote:

I'm not sure anyone has a meaningful or accurate death rate for COV-19. Who, when, where, and how many people are tested introduces huge biases. In the UK we've only tested a tiny % of the population and, as I understand it, disproportionately those in hospital and/or showing serious symptoms. This surely introduces a distinct bias that is likely to greatly exaggerate the death rate in the population as a whole.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Tuesday 28th April 2020, 15:00   #7
Paul Longland

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
I'm not sure anyone has a meaningful or accurate death rate for COV-19. Who, when, where, and how many people are tested introduces huge biases. In the UK we've only tested a tiny % of the population and, as I understand it, disproportionately those in hospital and/or showing serious symptoms. This surely introduces a distinct bias that is likely to greatly exaggerate the death rate in the population as a whole.
I think this nails it squarely on the head. If you only test those people who turn up at hospital already sick you are missing all of those who have the disease but do not need medical intervention. Only if testing is carried out across the board will we ever know for certain what the true mortality rate is. Remember back in the good old days when we were all being told that this was simply a particularly virulent type of cold/flu bug and that most people would only have a bit of a cough and maybe a temperature for a day or two so there was nothing to worry about? Maybe that is still true but the way we have gone about testing does nothing to allay peoples fears, especially those who are in the more vulnerable groups such as the elderly or those with underlying health issues etc.
Also somewhat concerning, which i picked up on, was whenever they highlighted a Dr or nurse etc that that had died from the virus without showing any underlying condition on TV, almost every one of them seemed to be from an Asian background. It now appears that this is being recognised and investigated. Similar trends are also being reported elsewhere with a disproportionate number of people with Afro-Caribbean heritage falling victim in the USA.
These demographics may have complex and varied reasons behind them, but once again, it just goes to show that there is so much that we do not know about this virus, and cannot possibly, until a full programme of widespread testing is available. Anything that helps us to understand these trends can only help in combating the thing. Know thine enemy and all that.
Old Tuesday 28th April 2020, 15:09   #8
Farnboro John

I notice apropos of the possible super-vulnerability of BAME patients, that Vitamin D (which apparently they do not manufacture to the same extent as Caucasians) was being touted as possibly helpful. Bet you can't find it in the shops today!

John
Old Tuesday 28th April 2020, 15:23   #9
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
WHO figures are equally meaningless being as it's quite simply a complete guess! 3.4% of reported cases, Worldwide, that means some places will be worse than others, it won't be 3.4% everywhere.

Source, the site used by most people.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
That 3.4% was for China back when (and I went to it from the worldometer site). And it was calculated (see link in that post). Are you suggesting that AndyAdcock has a better handle and understanding on it than the World Health Organization?

The point is (others have mentioned/alluded to) that we can't know the actual death rate given all the various uncertainties. Certainly the high figures in #post 1 aren't meaningful as an overall death rate from the virus etc. Depends on the stage at which the infection cycle is in, the health service regime in a country and reporting/testing rates etc etc.

If you look at small countries such as Iceland or Luxemburg, with lots of testing and a lot of 'completed' cases you can get a better/alternative idea of the virus infection/mortality rate in a better assumption of a 'closed system' (click on tests per million etc)

Last edited by dantheman : Tuesday 28th April 2020 at 15:33.
Old Tuesday 28th April 2020, 16:24   #10
andyadcock

Quote:
That 3.4% was for China back when (and I went to it from the worldometer site). And it was calculated (see link in that post). Are you suggesting that AndyAdcock has a better handle and understanding on it than the World Health Organization?

The point is (others have mentioned/alluded to) that we can't know the actual death rate given all the various uncertainties. Certainly the high figures in #post 1 aren't meaningful as an overall death rate from the virus etc. Depends on the stage at which the infection cycle is in, the health service regime in a country and reporting/testing rates etc etc.

If you look at small countries such as Iceland or Luxemburg, with lots of testing and a lot of 'completed' cases you can get a better/alternative idea of the virus infection/mortality rate in a better assumption of a 'closed system' (click on tests per million etc)

You made my point for me.
Old Tuesday 28th April 2020, 22:46   #11
John A Roberts

While there is no one measurement that gives a really clear idea of the progress of the disease within a locality, let alone between localities,
its useful to make an initial distinction between the Case Fatality Rate and the Mortality Rate, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_fatality_rate

The number of deaths per number of tests (diagnoses), as discussed in this thread is a CFR. And the number of deaths in a population is the MR

Increasingly Im of the view that the latter is a better way of looking at things, especially when attempting the compare different jurisdictions,
while taking into account what's known about the differing circumstances

For a good source of mortality rates, expressed as deaths per million of total population, updated daily, see: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Scroll down to the comprehensive table and click on the 3rd column from the right a couple of times to sort from highest to lowest

If you then select for Europe (at the top left of the table) the comparative figures give a lot of food for thought

John
Old Tuesday 28th April 2020, 23:18   #12
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post

For a good source of mortality rates, expressed as deaths per million of total population, updated daily, see: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Scroll down to the comprehensive table and click on the 3rd column from the right a couple of times to sort from highest to lowest

If you then select for Europe (at the top left of the table) the comparative figures give a lot of food for thought
I think we've all been looking at that for the last few months The problem is that with different testing regimes, and not knowing how many people have yet got the virus in any population, we can't know the eventual mortality rate at this stage at all - it will continue to change ... It's also the case that life expectancy is likely to shift, and causes of death from other sources such as heart disease etc will likely be reduced in the coming years. It's all a mess.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 03:25   #13
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Rather than trying to figure out the mortality rate, which is rolling, dependent on testing, reporting and the actions being taken by governments, compare instead the excess mortality, above the average rates at the same time of year, by two neighbouring nations, both with excellent healthcare systems but markedly different approaches.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonard...tm_source=digg

Those praising Sweden should have a long hard think on the difference here.

Owen
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 11:15   #14
James Lowther

mortality rates and excess death rates are very illuminating but don't really tell you anything about the deadliness of the virus, rather the severity of the outbreak. Anyway a few quick observations about the case fatality rate

a) UK recorded rate is likely considerably higher than the true rate for the reasons already described
b) however, as well as factors that will tend to artificially increase the apparent rate, there are factors that will tend to artificially decrease it (e.g. some people who are currently infected and tested positive but alive, will sadly go on to die as a result of their infection)
c) there are reasons why CFR might vary from place to place (prevalence of co-morbidities, availability and quality of medical care for the worst affected people)
d) in some of the worst affected places in the world (Lombardy, Madrid, New York City), more than 1 in 1000 of the total population (0.1%) has died from/with COVID-19. You might reasonably conclude therefore that this level would be an absoloute baseline for CFR
e) however, in some countries (Qatar, Singapore) fewer than 1 in 1000 positive cases have resulted in death (although in the big majority of countries the number is more than 1 in 100 - more than 1%)

so, make of that what you will

James
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 11:38   #15
Xenospiza
Undescribed

The mortality rate in the worst-affected Dutch municipalities is about 2/1000:
• 120-195/100,000 confirmed Covid-19 deaths, with only 605-930/100,000 cases reported.

Did I say already Dutch testing is woefully inadequate?
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 12:04   #16
lewis20126

Excess mortality is useful as outlined. However, only when you run that over a longer period will it have any real meaning - all short run UK data indicate A&E admissions greatly down. cancer diagnosis massively down and so on. A huge amount of excess capacity in hospitals - correctly freed up for CV, but now and in the short-term with no patients; delayed elective surgery with 18mo delays.

Let's revisit Sweden vs Denmark (or vs UK..) in a year and see where we are.

cheers, alan
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 17:31   #17
opisska
Jan Ebr

4500 "new" deaths in UK today, after finally admitting all the deaths in care homes. Why the hell did someone decided to just not count those is still beyond me ...
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 17:46   #18
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I notice apropos of the possible super-vulnerability of BAME patients, that Vitamin D (which apparently they do not manufacture to the same extent as Caucasians) was being touted as possibly helpful. Bet you can't find it in the shops today!
I've read recent conjectures that women survive better than men because estrogen has some protective effect, but I hope that's not going anywhere. Such grasping at straws really is not helpful, hardly better than taking Trump's advice on quinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
4500 "new" deaths in UK today, after finally admitting all the deaths in care homes. Why the hell did someone decided to just not count those is still beyond me ...
Does anyone know a country that hasn't had a shocking number of deaths in care homes, even half of the total? That was so completely foreseeable it's hard to understand why avoiding it wasn't made a priority, regardless of overall virus management strategy.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 18:13   #19
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
Don't forget that some of these were transferred to care facilities, from hospital, that's the scandal, the potential introduction of the virus to the old and vulnerable, not the actual number.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the deceased showing long term, existing residents against those tranferred from hospital.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 18:15   #20
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post

Does anyone know a country that hasn't had a shocking number of deaths in care homes, even half of the total? That was so completely foreseeable it's hard to understand why avoiding it wasn't made a priority, regardless of overall virus management strategy.
Maybe foreseaable but also preventable, staff should have been required to 'live in' to continue their employment, those who couldn't fo family or other reasons, should have been furloughed and replaced with others who could.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 18:17   #21
dantheman
Bah humbug

I seem to recall some on this forum saying 4 or 5 weeks ago that the priority was protecting the elderly (almost at all costs) and the idea being poo-poohed ...

Of course we're not the ones in power, but still.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 18:32   #22
John Cantelo

Quote:
.... staff should have been required to 'live in' to continue their employment, those who couldn't fo family or other reasons, should have been furloughed and replaced with others who could.
On paper that sounds like a good idea and I know that some staff have done so on a voluntary basis out of concern for their charges. However, I doubt that there would be sufficient numbers of people with relevant qualifications and experience to replace all of those unable or unwilling to 'live in'. Further, in my experience of visiting care homes, I think that many wouldn't have sufficient accommodation to house all of their clients and the number of staff needed to care for them. Nor am I sure how long such a system could be sustained without staff being so fatigued, mentally and physically, that they could not do their job.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 18:41   #23
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
On paper that sounds like a good idea and I know that some staff have done so on a voluntary basis out of concern for their charges. However, I doubt that there would be sufficient numbers of people with relevant qualifications and experience to replace all of those unable or unwilling to 'live in'. Further, in my experience of visiting care homes, I think that many wouldn't have sufficient accommodation to house all of their clients and the number of staff needed to care for them. Nor am I sure how long such a system could be sustained without staff being so fatigued, mentally and physically, that they could not do their job.
The precentage of qualified staff compared to minimum wage, forgive me 'bum wipers', is miniscule. I know, my daughter is in a low level management position, her first job out of Uni having taken a totally unrelated degree, although she did get a 1st

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 29th April 2020 at 18:45.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 18:42   #24
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
I seem to recall some on this forum saying 4 or 5 weeks ago that the priority was protecting the elderly (almost at all costs) and the idea being poo-poohed ...

Of course we're not the ones in power, but still.

That's a misconstrued version of the discussion. The idea that some were pushing was that we need to protect the elderly while everyone else goes around as usual and gets 'herd imunity'. I was one if the people saying that it's impossible. And now look how many elderly people are dead even as the virus is nowhere as rampant in the open world as many would have it, so I feel like my opinion is validated.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2020, 18:43   #25
Farnboro John

Quote:
Maybe foreseaable but also preventable, staff should have been required to 'live in' to continue their employment, those who couldn't fo family or other reasons, should have been furloughed and replaced with others who could.
Many of these places rely on locum staff to be fully staffed (many of whom are in fact NHS staff moonlighting in downtime from their regular jobs in the vicinity). Many care homes are in a permanent state of crisis at the best of times. There aren't the people to do what you suggest.

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: