• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (2 Viewers)

Last night was chilly with an unpleasant, blustery wind, one, single, solitary moth, Garden Carpet.

The wind, is more fatal to your chances than the temperature in my experiece.

A nice afternoon stroll in lovely sunny weather yielded up two day-flying moth ticks this afternoon - Burnet Companion and Mother Shipton.

Attachments

• IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 26
Think Burnt Umber is a paint colour and not a moth.

Toadflax Brocade is certainly increasing around Herts. I've had a couple and a friend gets lots in his garden trap now.

Ok will cross it off my “rare” list then. ;)

Cheers

just a single Chocolate-tip in my 15w UV pot on Sunday night (my 2nd ever), and again last night a single Toadflax Brocade. A lifer for me, assume they are increasing in the London area?

Cheers

Think Toadflax Brocade have been pretty widespread in the London area for quite a few years. I've been seeing the larvae on my self sown Purple Toadflax for up to 10 years.

A few moths today walking around London's top butterfly site today where had 17 butterfly species.

Cinnabar 3
Burnet Companion 3
Mother Shipton
Common Marbled Carpet
Silver-ground Carpet
Common Carpet
Silver-Y
Mint Moth 3
Cauchas fibulella

Ref Toadflax Brocade-
Middlesex Notes: Recent colonist - now a widespread and very common resident. The leap from the shingle beaches of Sussex and Kent to 'brownfield' sites in London was made from 2002 onwards, although there was an earlier report from Highgate Wood in 1986. Within five years it had colonised almost every site where either the native yellow Toadflax Linaria vulgaris or garden varieties of Purple Toadflax can be found. - Plant, Terry, Honey & Freed (2018)
This from the Hertfordshire and Middlesex Moth Group website.

Just finished last nights moths.39 moths of 24 species, plus a Marbled Minor agg. 6 micros beyond my abilities too. Carpets were especially abundant with Spruce, Broken-barred, Green, Common and Garden.

Ref Toadflax Brocade-
Middlesex Notes: Recent colonist - now a widespread and very common resident. The leap from the shingle beaches of Sussex and Kent to 'brownfield' sites in London was made from 2002 onwards, although there was an earlier report from Highgate Wood in 1986. Within five years it had colonised almost every site where either the native yellow Toadflax Linaria vulgaris or garden varieties of Purple Toadflax can be found. - Plant, Terry, Honey & Freed (2018)
This from the Hertfordshire and Middlesex Moth Group website.

I wonder how much it is found on Common Toadflax? I don't doubt it is used but I've only ever found it on Purple Toadflax. I do see both plants quite regularly.

I remember before it was a London resident being down at Pagham Harbour where this was then described as a rare species found usually on Purple Toadflax that grew on the coastal shingle there.

Definitely a better night last night, 25 moths of 13 species, two of which were ticks: Orange Footman (which I almost dismissed as a micro!) and Alder Moth.

Peak moth Heart and Dart with 10, second Shuttle-shaped Dart with 4. Best of the rest Green Pug NFY plus another Lime Hawk-moth and a Buff Tip.

8 May Bugs.

John

Last edited:
I hadn't finished going through mine before going to bed but the strangest moment was a seven minute period where 6 Pale Tussock males came in one after the other. They fly like bullets and seem to prefer the wall to the trap. I only ever seem to get males.
I haven't been doing this mothing for too long but does anyone else share my absolute joy at opening the trap and seeing pugs flying out and thinking 'Thank Heavens, I won't have to look at those faded bloody nightmares'? :).

I hadn't finished going through mine before going to bed but the strangest moment was a seven minute period where 6 Pale Tussock males came in one after the other. They fly like bullets and seem to prefer the wall to the trap. I only ever seem to get males.
I haven't been doing this mothing for too long but does anyone else share my absolute joy at opening the trap and seeing pugs flying out and thinking 'Thank Heavens, I won't have to look at those faded bloody nightmares'? :).

Ha ha! Yes.

I trapped extensively three years ago on a 110-acre Cornish Farm and had a fantastic season. The following two years, I didn't trap, but spent a lot of time watching the porch and garage lights. I had several nights when Pale Tussocks were acting just as you describe, usually for an intensive short period around midnight. The nights I didn't stay to watch the lights, I'd often find 2-3 clinging to the wall next day.

I wonder how much it is found on Common Toadflax? I don't doubt it is used but I've only ever found it on Purple Toadflax. I do see both plants quite regularly.

I've certainly seen it on both but as Purple is by far the most frequently encountered species I also see more larvae on Purple. Also just across the river in N Surrey.

Martin (one of the authors of the above mentioned paper)

Quick photo catch-up:

Maiden's Blush on the window
Small Magpie (honorary macro)
Lime Hawk-moth
Treble Lines
Poplar Hawk-moth sitting wide open: they usually tuck the forewings back so you can't see the rich brown on the hind-wings

Attachments

• 20200516 (1)_Maidens_Blush.JPG
    20200516 (1)_Maidens_Blush.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200516 (2)_Small_Magpie.JPG
    20200516 (2)_Small_Magpie.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200517 (1)_Lime_Hawk-moth.JPG
    20200517 (1)_Lime_Hawk-moth.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200517 (2)_Treble_Lines.JPG
    20200517 (2)_Treble_Lines.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200517 (4)_Poplar_Hawk-moth.JPG
    20200517 (4)_Poplar_Hawk-moth.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 20
Another lifer for me this morning, Seraphim: still quite a scarce moth locally apparently. Cydia pomonella and Udea olivalis also NFY.

And to chip in on Toadflax Brocade, I caught two last week which turns out to be just the ninth Leics record. There are hardly any records further north, one at Spurn the most northerly. Somebody caught one near Derby last week, even scarcer there than here.

Steve

Another lifer for me this morning, Seraphim: still quite a scarce moth locally apparently. Cydia pomonella and Udea olivalis also NFY.

And to chip in on Toadflax Brocade, I caught two last week which turns out to be just the ninth Leics record. There are hardly any records further north, one at Spurn the most northerly. Somebody caught one near Derby last week, even scarcer there than here.

Steve

Never had either here in Notts.

A couple of Common Pugs, 1 Scalloped Hazel and an Elephant Hawk was my lot last night.

74 Macros and 13 micros last night, 30 and 9 species. New for year were Figure of Eighty, Chocolate Tip,Buff Ermine, Common Swift,Light Brocade,Turnip Moth,Clouded Border, Common Carpet, Broken-barred Carpet, Shoulder-striped Wainscot and Dark/Grey Dagger. From the micros, NFY were Sitochroa verticalis, Cydia pomonella, Agapeta hamana, and Notocelia cynosbatella. Eulia ministrana was new for the garden.

I won't have the trap out tonight as I have too much other stuff to do tomorrow. With any luck I'll try tomorrow if the forecast thunder storms have passed.

Lew

19/05 produced 43 moths of 22 species, with additional 4 Marbled Minor agg.
6 Pale Tussocks (male) 4 Common Wainscot, 5 Brimstone, 5 LBAM, 1 Small Elephant H-m and more usual suspects in lower numbers
Oak Hook-tip & 2 Yellow-barred Brindle were garden ticks.
Still a few from last night to do, but 4 Small Elephants was a surprise. Female Pale Tussock was nice given all the boys that turn up.
Fingers crossed for a different Hawk to come in.

40 moths of 11 species in the trap this morning (and 6 May Bugs). Peak numbers Heart and Dart again (they are soooo boring!) with 21; Shuttle-shaped Darts (not much less boring) second with 8.

Otherwise, Common Rustic (is that another agg thing?) NFY, another Lime Hawk-moth - I checked the markings against the previous one and they are definitely different moths - and a Willow Beauty best of the rest.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back