• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MEOPTA 7x42 TEST REPORT...WOW (1 Viewer)

308CAL

I had the pleasure of testing the 7x42 Meopta vs the Swaro SLCnew 7x42 and the EL 8.5x42.

I am not into technical tests, i just look through them in various conditions.

ALl I can say is the Meopta's were right there with the Swaros in every category. The sweet spot was edge to edge, it was truly a wonderfule bright, vivid, contrasty image with no flaring or ghosting...

THe meoptas are more compact than either bino. The Meoptas give the impression of a very solid, sturdy bino...They feel good in the hand because they are compact with some weight.

I actually felt the Meopta to be more neutral than the SLCnew. THe SLC would give a slightly gold or yellowish tint when looking at the sky. The Meopta was not as good (very slight yellow bias, hard to see) the EL(totally neutral) in this regard but better than the SLC....surprising....

None had click stops on on the eyecups.
THe Meopta had the longest eye relief....no blackouts when panning either.

I dont look or care about CA so i cant help with you there...However i didnt notice any in the image center when looking at tree limbs against the sky. I did notice it at the edge if I tried to look for it.

I dont care for Meoptas diopter adjustment, too easy to change accidentally.

I dont care for the occular covers or the strap system. The swaros are much better but for half the price, I would go meopta if I was buying....

:t::t::t::t::t::t:

Last edited:
308, Thanks for the good report on the Meoptas, I've been vacilating between buying a used 7x42 alpha, or a rugged waterproof 8x32 to compliment my 8x32 SEs. Slightly different job descriptions, but I don't want two buy two more bins. I thought after reading all of the glowing reports on the 8x43 Zen Rays, the new 7x36 ZR might be the ticket, but it seems that reviews on the 7x36 are not as consitantly stellar as the 8x43 so I've decided to hold off on them.

I was able to try out a 7x42 Zeiss Classic last year and I fell in love with the big, easy, crystal clear view. Ialways liked the view through the 42 size SLCs and heard great things about the 7x42, if your Meoptas are that close to the SLCs, I might have found my match.

John

None had click stops on on the eyecups.

Quite a few bins have no click stops on the eyecups but that's not always bad.

They fall into two categories: those that stay put without a click stop (so you have a continuous change of eyecup height e.g. Zeiss FL and Conquest, Leupold Yosemite) and those that can only be up or down. The former are a lot more useful than the latter (or those with many click stops).

Which categories to your tested bins fall into?

Yes, interesting perceptions 308. I've only auditioned the 10x42 Meoptas, but have never quite gotten them out of my mind. Your type of report adds confirmation to the impression I had.

Also, I recently had the SLC 7x42 in my possession as well. Overall, quite nice. The sweet spot size was indeed impressive, as has been commonly reported here. My main concern - weight - was not particularly bothersome for me. However, what did present an unexpected problem was a lack of sharp focus snap. I found myself consistently fiddling with the focus, searching for that tack sharpness. Of course, I fiddled with the diopter too, thinking that might be the culprit. After a number of these episodes, I determined it was just not for me, and that it wasn't a matter of 7X vs 8X. For reference, I had my little Trinovid BN 8x32. By comparison, they simply snap on sharp focus with consistent ease. All this set me to wondering about the compromises made by the alphas, particularly concerning centerfield sharpness vs. sweet spot. Many reports here on BF as well as my own first-hand impressions lead me to believe that Leica is somewhat in the middle (not the sharpest, but maybe 2nd - not the widest sweet spots, but maybe 2nd, etc, etc). All in all, I'm becoming more a fan of the Leica's overall viewing experience over time.

John R, we have a similar affliction (still), though in addition to my wife's EIIs, I already have a good, portable everyday 8x32 in my Trinovid. But I'm still feeling the need for a larger objective used alpha/beta for easy viewing and low light. The Meopta 8x42, and the Leica Ultravid 7 and 8x42 are the current short list. For your situation, it seems like the Meopta 8x32 would be a very good candidate. (And like you, I've been tempted by the ZRs, but just am not quite convinced - that based at least in part on the reports of off-center degradation and also glare.)

ApS

Last edited:
Yes, interesting perceptions 308. I've only auditioned the 10x42 Meoptas, but have never quite gotten them out of my mind. Your type of report adds confirmation to the impression I had.

Also, I recently had the SLC 7x42 in my possession as well. Overall, quite nice. The sweet spot size was indeed impressive, as has been commonly reported here. My main concern - weight - was not particularly bothersome for me. However, what did present an unexpected problem was a lack of sharp focus snap. I found myself consistently fiddling with the focus, searching for that tack sharpness. Of course, I fiddled with the diopter too, thinking that might be the culprit. After a number of these episodes, I determined it was just not for me, and that it wasn't a matter of 7X vs 8X. For reference, I had my little Trinovid BN 8x32. By comparison, they simply snap on sharp focus with consistent ease. All this set me to wondering about the compromises made by the alphas, particularly concerning centerfield sharpness vs. sweet spot. Many reports here on BF as well as my own first-hand impressions lead me to believe that Leica is somewhat in the middle (not the sharpest, but maybe 2nd - not the widest sweet spots, but maybe 2nd, etc, etc). All in all, I'm becoming more a fan of the Leica's overall viewing experience over time.

John R, we have a similar affliction (still), though in addition to my wife's EIIs, I already have a good, portable everyday 8x32 in my Trinovid. But I'm still feeling the need for a larger objective used alpha/beta for easy viewing and low light. The Meopta 8x42, and the Leica Ultravid 7 and 8x42 are the current short list. For your situation, it seems like the Meopta 8x32 would be a very good candidate. (And like you, I've been tempted by the ZRs, but just am not quite convinced - that based at least in part on the reports of off-center degradation and also glare.)

ApS

Smithy,

If your main concern is about off-center degradation and also glare with the ZR, try a Promaster 8x42 ED.

The sweet spot is wide and what fall off there is at the edge was gradual enough to be ignored even by my Klingon eyes (which have greater peripheral vision than human's).

The image quality was also very close to the 8x32 LX, which have the best contrast and color saturation I've seen in a bin, and the Promaster had noticeably less CA in high contrast situations due to the ED glass.

I did not notice any usual glare, though I tried them in the winter.

I didn't find the open bridge design as pleasing as I thought it would be, because the barrels are very long and the thumb indents not as wide as I need for my thumbs.

The shape of the Nikon EDG is better in both those regards, but the cost is prohibitive. So I could probably learn to live with those features for the excellent image quality.

After using the very fast 8x32 LX's focuser, the Promaster's focuser seemed sluggish, but I care less about whether the focuser is fast or slow as long as it "snaps to focus" when I'm on my target, which the Promaster did.

I think the "bang for the buck" value of the Promaster and it's better edge sharpness (at least on the sample I tried) has been lost in the Zen Ray hysteria.

Although I have read conflicting reports about whether or not the ZR's FOV is true to spec, the Promaster's is listed at 7.5*, which is less than the 8x ZR's listed FOV, and that might contribute to its better edge performance.

At Leica's present rate of price inflation, unless you are almost there now, by the time you save up for one it might be close to $3K!

I really liked the EDG, but I would not pay $2K for any bin unless I was Jay Leno, in which case, I'd own a garage full of each model. :)

Smithy,

If your main concern is about off-center degradation and also glare with the ZR, try a Promaster 8x42 ED.

The sweet spot is wide and what fall off there is at the edge was gradual enough to be ignored even by my Klingon eyes (which have greater peripheral vision than human's).

The image quality was also very close to the 8x32 LX, which have the best contrast and color saturation I've seen in a bin, and the Promaster had noticeably less CA in high contrast situations due to the ED glass.

I did not notice any usual glare, though I tried them in the winter.

I didn't find the open bridge design as pleasing as I thought it would be, because the barrels are very long and the thumb indents not as wide as I need for my thumbs.

The shape of the Nikon EDG is better in both those regards, but the cost is prohibitive. So I could probably learn to live with those features for the excellent image quality.

After using the very fast 8x32 LX's focuser, the Promaster's focuser seemed sluggish, but I care less about whether the focuser is fast or slow as long as it "snaps to focus" when I'm on my target, which the Promaster did.

I think the "bang for the buck" value of the Promaster and it's better edge sharpness (at least on the sample I tried) has been lost in the Zen Ray hysteria.

Although I have read conflicting reports about whether or not the ZR's FOV is true to spec, the Promaster's is listed at 7.5*, which is less than the 8x ZR's listed FOV, and that might contribute to its better edge performance.

At Leica's present rate of price inflation, unless you are almost there now, by the time you save up for one it might be close to $3K!

I really liked the EDG, but I would not pay $2K for any bin unless I was Jay Leno, in which case, I'd own a garage full of each model. :)

Not sure how this got into a thread about RED CHINA but anyways "SMITHY", I would buy the MEOPTAS and never look back. Used them this morning for 2 hours in the sunlight and in the woods, still havent found anything not to like.... THey are less than half the price of the Big 4 and come with a lifetime transferable warranty

THe depth of field in tremendous and I think i changed the focus once this AM, it just stayed in focus at varying ranges which was nice

I tried to get a false light or flaring but the meoptas handled all situations with ease...

Last edited:

Eagle Optics has a demo sale on the EDG 8/10x42 for $1199/$1249. Too bad I haven't looked thru a bino of any size from 10mm to 150mm that I would pay more than $700 for!8-P

cheers,
Rick

Not sure how this got into a thread about RED CHINA but ......

Apparently by you! I was replying to the last part of Smithy's post about the Zen Rays....

"(And like you, I've been tempted by the ZRs, but just am not quite convinced - that based at least in part on the reports of off-center degradation and also glare.)

ApS"

Big 409

Last edited:
Brock, If I were going to consider "RED CHINA" bins, I'd more than likely "audition" the ZR 8x. Something about (all of) them though is just not exciting. May simply be the RED CHINA thing - I don't know.

308, The Meopta does continue to linger as a contender. Maybe it's the EURO thing - I don't know that either. Either way, thanks for posting your impressions. Somehow the Meoptas do promise to please. But I am now wondering if the Meopta has that "tack sharp" focus snap to go along the the generous sweet spot.

It's a "sum of the parts" kind of thing for sure - and that keeps the Leica in my game for now.

ApS (aka "Smithy")

Last edited:
Brock, If I were going to consider "RED CHINA" bins, I'd more than likely "audition" the ZR 8x. Something about (all of) them though is just not exciting. May simply be the RED CHINA thing - I don't know.

308, The Meopta does continue to linger as a contender. Maybe it's the EURO thing - I don't know that either. Either way, thanks for posting your impressions. Somehow the Meoptas do promise to please. But I am now wondering if the Meopta has that "tack sharp" focus snap to go along the the generous sweet spot.

It's a "sum of the parts" kind of thing for sure - and that keeps the Leica in my game for now.

ApS (aka "Smithy")

"Smithy,"

I hope you don't mind my nickname, it's just that I think the world has become mechanistic enough without resorting to addressing people alpha-numerically.

I hope to try an 8x32 Meopta in the coming months, so I will get to see if they "snap to" or have a "muddiness" to their focus.

Even though the 8x32 model is small - smaller than the 8x32 LX I had trouble holding steady - it has thumb indents, which should help.

Frank D., who also has large hands, reviewed this model on Optics Talk:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14996

It seems with the more "neutral color," Meopta is catering to birders rather than hunters with this model.

Evaluating a bin's color cast is somewhat subjective, so while I appreciate the comments in the OP about this and the comparison with other bins, I may see things differently (literally).

I can tolerate the red color cast of my Nikon SE and EII better than I can the yellow of some other bins I've owned.

Ideally, I'd like a a bin whose image is color neutral as possible, but I'm also spoiled from owning my Nikons (SE, EII, and LX series), because they have such flat fields.

That's what impressed me about the Promaster, it not only had sharp, contrasty images and fairly neutral color but also a wide sweet spot.

If I were looking through a Leica, Swaro, Meopta, etc., and it had these qualities, I'd also be impressed, but ultimately, I have to chose the bin that best suits my budget, which has contracted along with the economy.

I admit to having mixed feelings about buying Chinese optics myself, though it has nothing do with their political "color".

But if Leica is your preference, you'd better jump on this "pre-owned" model before someone else does!

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=653812

Happy to hear you got behind a pair of Meopta 7's. Seeing is believing. I think these are probably the best, all-around 7x on the market. I don't think this bin has a weakness.

Cheers

Nothing wrong with EL's... that's for sure.

Overall price / performance... can't beat the Meopta. But that's my opinion.

Nothing wrong with EL's... that's for sure.

Overall price / performance... can't beat the Meopta. But that's my opinion.

I agree 100%...If I didnt own the EL's, i might have never bought them. I guess they are like heroin, once look, youre hooked....

The differences are hard to tell because there is a magnification different.\

The AFOV is much larger in the EL. The colors seem a little more deep and shimmery or vivid but nothing worth $1,000.

Lastly, my hands do love the open bridge design....

:t:

BOTH ARE SUPERB

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back