• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full circle? (1 Viewer)

Hotglove

I have been looking for a pair of 10x32 binoculars and have tested some very good glasses, initially they were intended to run alongside my old Leica 10x25, but the problem with the Leicas was their lack of close focus.
Having tried the larger 32mm glasses, I felt that I would be reluctant to be without the tiny 10x25s
So have decided to get a direct replacement for the Leicas, a modern close-focus design, and keep thinking about the 32s (unless I get ambushed by a bargain)
I have had some very good and practical advice from members of this forum and am very grateful for it.

Hotglove,

I ran into an English couple a few years ago while birding Home Lake in southern Colorado. They both carried 10x25 Leica Ultravids. They showed me my first American Pipit!

I thought at the time, what a sensible glass for the traveler. Not "pocketable", but big enough to not be so finicky to hold as the tiny sibling. Since then I have learned on this forum that the English, perhaps over all other nations, lean towards Leica, and also favor 10x over 8x more than us Yankees. To top it off, I saw a photo of Prince Charles (a champion for the preservation of nature) wearing a 10x25 Ultravid.

Enjoy your updated Leica. I have several good binoculars, but for some time have been on a jag with my 12x50 Trinovid BN. I guess that may seem typically American to you: big country, everything's got to be big!

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back