• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should hummingbird feeders be distanced from hopper feeders? (1 Viewer)

New Daddy

A tutorial website says that a humming bird feeder should be distanced from other feeders, because hummingbirds are territorial. So, two 4-port feeders placed apart are better than one 8-port feeder.

Does that meant a hummingbird feeder should be distanced from (non-hummingbird) reguler feeders, such as a hopper feeder as well?

A tutorial website says that a humming bird feeder should be distanced from other feeders, because hummingbirds are territorial. So, two 4-port feeders placed apart are better than one 8-port feeder.

Does that meant a hummingbird feeder should be distanced from (non-hummingbird) reguler feeders, such as a hopper feeder as well?

Neither of these is necessary or absolute. I have seen fantastic hummingbird activity at stations where the feeders are literally right on top of each other - 13 species in a single garden and birds so thick you had to shout to be heard! Similarly, I run 17 hummingbird feeders, 23 seed feeders and 8 suet feeders in my front garden and the hummingbirds are not discouraged by the other birds. I have even hung finch socks from the bottom of my hummingbird feeders. BTW, there is an owl box mixed in with all the feeders!

Neither of these is necessary or absolute. I have seen fantastic hummingbird activity at stations where the feeders are literally right on top of each other - 13 species in a single garden and birds so thick you had to shout to be heard! Similarly, I run 17 hummingbird feeders, 23 seed feeders and 8 suet feeders in my front garden and the hummingbirds are not discouraged by the other birds. I have even hung finch socks from the bottom of my hummingbird feeders. BTW, there is an owl box mixed in with all the feeders!

Wow, your garden sounds like a bird haven. Can you share a photo of your garden?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back