• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian's Tale of Two Gulls. (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
05-11-05

A hurricane on the western side of the Atlantic had carried an influx of Laughing Gulls into the south west. Early this morning I met up with Kingfisher at Taunton railway station to board a train for Weymouth to see one that had been there since the middle of the week.

Being a Saturday we were slightly worried not to receive any reports of the gulls as we were travelling. I was quite confident at the time that we would see it. The reason was simple, Kingfisher and I had done this before for a Franklin's Gull in Weymouth last year and came away without seeing it. Surely it could not happen twice.

As soon as the train pulled into Weymouth, we headed for the car park by Radipole Lake and found a few birders around but no sign of the bird. No one had seen it at all today. Not to worry, it will show up eventually we believed. Searching the area including the car park itself, the roosting island by the visitor centre, the lake on both sides of the bridge drew a blank.

On our way back to the car park after a second look around, we were devastated to see a report of a first winter Laughing Gull at Gosport just outside Portsmouth to the east. The bird we were looking for was a first winter so we assumed the worst and thought our bird had left for pastures new. Checking the train services to Gosport proved it would be folly to try and get there and hope to find the park it was in never mind the bird itself.

When the Franklin's Gull was here last year, we left for home too early and the bird came in to roost as we were pulling into Taunton. This meant we assumed there was a very slim chance the Laughing Gull could still be around. Slim was better than nothing at all so we decided to stick around but were not feeling optimistic at all and retired to a decent looking pub.

Things looked better as we entered as they were serving real ale and the Aston Villa versus Liverpool game was showing on the telly! The ale was nice and Liverpool shook off their usual post European game hangovers to play well and record a two nil success.

At half past three we stumbled out of the pub a tad light headed and made for the car park after visiting the local second hand bookshop. A decent number of birders had gathered to watch the roosting island in hope. I started to have a good feeling about this but not enough to take my mind off my 'Flaming Hot' Monster Munch crisps and fish my bins out of my bag.

After twenty minutes and one Mediterranean Gull, one of the birders shouted the bird out and confusion reigned but soon got onto the first winter Laughing Gull preening away on the island in the company of the local Black-headed Gulls. Kingfisher and I were so happy and bemused that the bird was actually still about and that there were now no less than two new birds in the Gosport area!

Having had a few drinks and being so excited with this I failed to take detailed notes but the general impression was of a very bluish grey bird with a black bill and legs and a very messy plumage. The most striking feature for me was the massive broad black terminal band on the retrices.

I managed a few short movie clips of the bird for posterity before we returned to the station to await our train back home. Spirits were high as we enjoyed the rest of the day after the awe of the success had settled down and enjoyed good banter along the way home.

08-11-05
Location : Newquay (Cubert), Davidstow Airfield & Roadford Lake. Cornwall & Devon. SW804572, SX165855 & SX428912.

Another hurricane driven bird, a second winter Franklin's Gull had settled in the Newquay area for the last few days after spending a bit of time in Penzance. This offered a chance to erase the agony of dipping on last year's bird at Radipole. A bizzarre twist of fate considering I had just seen a Laughing Gull at Radipole.

It was surprisingly easy enough to drive down to Newquay in Paul's car for the first time. Passing the usual fishing haunts in the Newquay area brought back good memories.

Our first search at the Gannel estuary was fruitless in the rain. A Pit Bull type dog running through the birds did not help either. The low number of Black-headed Gulls here led us to believe the bird had gone to another site. The gull had been seen regularly in two places, one was here on the estuary and the other was in a ploughed field near Cubert just to the southwest of Newquay.

We found a ploughed field near a crossroads that had some gulls and hundreds of European Golden Plovers. The rain was hammering down on us with strong winds doing their best to make matters unbearable. There was no sign of the bird on the first scan so we walked about to look for other ploughed fields and still no luck.

My trainers were now getting soaked through but that was not enough to put me off a second scan of the field. Half way through the Black-headed Gulls, I shouted "Wahey! I got it!". The dark mantled and winged second winter Franklin's Gull stood out like a sore thumb that had been well and truly whacked with a mallet.

It did not appear as diminutive as I had expected, it was only a tad smaller than the Black-headed Gulls. Like the Laughing Gull, this was a bird of stark contrasts. A really 'feel good' gull to look at. Luckily we had flight views of the bird revealing the largish white spots on the primary tips like a string of pearls. It was rather lazy and sleepy like the Laughing Gull, not surprising considering how far they have been carried by violent winds.

We tolerated the rain for as long as we could to have a good look at the bird before retreating to the car for lunch. That was a super lifer and a really satisfying bird as we had persevered in disgusting rain and wind with no reports coming in at all today. There was no desire to continue to Penzance with nothing new on offer so we headed back north to Davidstow Airfield for a Grey Phalarope.

After putting up with a long drive over a pot holed airfield the control tower appeared closer and I pointed towards it saying "It must be over there somewhere, oh no it's right in front of the car!". The Grey Phalarope was feeding in a flood pool by the dilapidated runway only yards from the car. This had us laughing in bewilderment.

After having our fill of this super bird we continued back home into Devon and called into Roadford Reservoir. Nothing much was on offer here and we resorted to discussing Gadwall plumages.

Back at Exeter, I toasted the Franklin's Gull with some fine ale in The Well House and made my way home a happy chap. Two Yank gulls in a week ain't bad going, both of them lifers to boot!

Last edited:
Aye, woulda been nice to have some sunshine!

Seems BF has changed dramatically since the early days. Birding reports are no longer of any interest. Shame really.

Andrew said:
Seems BF has changed dramatically since the early days. Birding reports are no longer of any interest. Shame really.

I enjoyed reading your report Andrew. There must be quite a few like me who read them but don't necessarily respond.

level seven said:
I enjoyed reading your report Andrew. There must be quite a few like me who read them but don't necessarily respond.

I'm with you there level seven. I read and enjoyed but had nothing sensible (or silly!) to say, so kept my mouth shut! (Think there may be some who wish I had kept quiet on other similar threads! 3:) )

D

Andrew said:

No need to be despondent, Andrew. There's plenty of us south-west expats enviously reading your reports. ;)

And it's not just the birds that are upsetting - all these tales of real ale consumed... grr... choice is usually more limited here to draught at best, or a choice between 'red tin' and 'yellow tin'. B :)

ce

Cheers guys.

All the ales go towards my Real Ale list! Started about August and now on approx 170!

Soon be in the CAMRA400 Club! ;)

Andrew said:
Cheers guys.

All the ales go towards my Real Ale list! Started about August and now on approx 170!

Soon be in the CAMRA400 Club! ;)

You'll have to come to Shetland and try the Valhalla Brewery ales... they're very good.

ce

Don't get too carried away by thoughts of a "Camra 400" club. There is a gentleman from the Birmingham area, known as "Mick the Tick", who has tried over 10000 different real ales (and that was a couple of years ago!)
Even I, who was very Conference/ Unibond standard passed 1500 before I stopped counting 11 years ago.....

Decided that birding after beer disagreed with me after nearly falling into a lake at Coatham Marsh, Cleveland, watching a displaying Ruddy Duck after an afternoons inbibing (I had been drinking, as far as I know, the duck hadn't been). Tend to wait until I've finished now before refreshing myself. Which pub was it in Weymouth anyway? There are a couple of good ones opposite the station, including a Hop Back one.

Swift said:
Did you taste a few Tinners and Wreckers on Scilly?
Had Tinner's, very nice.

No Wrecker's available.

Mind you had a rare local tick, 'Scuppered' from the Ales of Scilly brewery, another nice one.

Tim Hall said:
Don't get too carried away by thoughts of a "Camra 400" club. There is a gentleman from the Birmingham area, known as "Mick the Tick", who has tried over 10000 different real ales (and that was a couple of years ago!)
Even I, who was very Conference/ Unibond standard passed 1500 before I stopped counting 11 years ago.....
Blimey, a long way to go then.

Mind you it is such a good time with so many successful micro breweries that ticks are coming my way all the time. Long may that continue!

Tim Hall said:
Decided that birding after beer disagreed with me after nearly falling into a lake at Coatham Marsh, Cleveland, watching a displaying Ruddy Duck after an afternoons inbibing (I had been drinking, as far as I know, the duck hadn't been). Tend to wait until I've finished now before refreshing myself. Which pub was it in Weymouth anyway? There are a couple of good ones opposite the station, including a Hop Back one.
It was a small pub by the railway station and the name escapes me right now but we discovered 'The Dolphin' later opposite the second hand bookshop and I was dismayed to find it had Hopback 'Summer Lightning' on tap! Had no time as we wanted to be by the visitor centre. Next time though.

Hey mate, Saturday was a real winner, decent ale, a win for the Champions of Europe, and then we get the Laughing Gull, a great day. I am still amused about the Gull was actually behind uu, only when spotted it then flew up and over us onto the island. A Laughing Gull having a laugh. Well done on the Franklins, made up for last year. A very good read.

Hopefully the Newquay Franklin's has flown to Weymouth overnight for you!

As for the STL, might see you there Sunday morning, sans bins though, so I will need a peek in your scope!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back