• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Reef Heron (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Western Reef Egret

Discussion thread for Western Reef Egret. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

---------------

Common name conflict
Western Reef Heron: Clements, AOU, SACC, IOC
Western Reef Egret: H&M, S&M

(I'm ignoring the hyphen non-issue right now ;))

Is this enough to swing the common name for Opus?

For me I would say no, let us stick with status quo. In addition to the lack of consensus, I don't know why this one should be Heron when the two closest relatives are Little Egret and Dimorphic Egret (and I do know that this second sentence is irrelevant, I just could not resist).

Niels

For me I would say no, let us stick with status quo. In addition to the lack of consensus, I don't know why this one should be Heron when the two closest relatives are Little Egret and Dimorphic Egret (and I do know that this second sentence is irrelevant, I just could not resist).

Niels

Right. I can tell you, us Americans are not too excited about the day they tell us Western Reef(-)Heron/Egret is just a subspecies of Little!

ABA list soon to be down one. :-C

Right. I can tell you, us Americans are not too excited about the day they tell us Western Reef(-)Heron/Egret is just a subspecies of Little!

ABA list soon to be down one. :-C

Well, I should keep mine, as the one I saw was the subspecies schistacea, which is supposed to become a separate species no matter what happens to gularis. 8-P

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back