• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many Trogons and Quetzals have you seen? (1 Viewer)

I have ten/eleven (10/11) species:

Resplendent Quetzal, Monteverde, Costa Rica
Golden-headed Quetzal, Sachatamia Lodge, Ecuador
Slaty-tailed Trogon, Orotina, Costa Rica
Black-tailed Trogon (Ecuadorian), Atamari Hosteria, Ecuador
White-tailed Trogon, Sacha Lodge, Ecuador
Black-headed Trogon, Orotina, Costa Rica
Elegant Trogon, Portal, Arizona, USA
Orange-bellied Trogon, Monteverde, Costa Rica
Masked Trogon, Sachatamia, Ecuador
Violaceous Trogon/Gartered Trogon, Atamari Lodge, Ecuador/Orotina, Costa Rica

Wow, when did you see that one? Must have been a while ago, I think it hasn't been recorded in Vietnam for quite a while... (?)

Modest count of myself: 2, Red-headed and Orange-breasted in Vietnam

September 1982, just west of Mt. Fan Si Pan. It was the first time I had been to Vietnam ( mollusc collecting trip - allegedly ;) ) and the Trogon was just one of a fantastic suite of lifers picked up in my 'spare time'.

Chris

September 1982, just west of Mt. Fan Si Pan.
Wow once more! -i guess you did not meet too many birders at that time :)
The area around Fansipan is now deforested almost all the way up to 2000m, no Ward's Trogen there any more (I believe they need contiguous forest from high altutude to relatively low levels). An area not far south (Van Ban district) where some forest is still there, down to lower elevations, has been searched in recent years but the bird hasn't been found.

Pharomachrus pavoninus Pavonine Quetzal ONLY HEARD
Pharomachrus auriceps Golden-headed Quetzal
Pharomachrus fulgidus White-tipped Quetzal
Pharomachrus antisianus Crested Quetzal
Trogon massena Slaty-tailed Trogon
Trogon chionurus White-tailed Trogon
Trogon viridis Green-backed Trogon
Trogon caligatus Gartered Trogon
Trogon violaceus Guianan Trogon
Trogon rufus Black-throated Trogon
Trogon collaris Collared Trogon
Trogon personatus Masked Trogon

Yes, some of the ultimate tropical birds. I get a thrill every single time I see a trogon.
Here is my list:

1. Red-headed Trogon- Seen a few times in Thailand and my only Asian trogon (need to go back for the rest!).
2. Hispanolian Trogon- Two seen in the Dominican Republic.
3. Black-headed Trogon-See this quite often in Costa Rica and Mexico.
4. Citreoline Trogon- Many occasions in Mexico.
5. Green-backed Trogon- Many times in Tambopata, Peru.
6. White-tailed Trogon- Several times in Panama, waiting for it to show up in Costa Rica.
7. Bairds Trogon- Many times in Costa Rica although it doesnt seem as common as it used t be in Carara National Park.
8. Violaceous Trogon- Once in a while in the Peruvian Amazon, much more of a forest bird than the Gartered.
9. Gartered Trogon- Many times in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama.
10. Mountain Trogon- Several occasions in Mexico.
11. White-eyed Trogon- A few times in Ecuador.
12. Collared Trogon- Many times in Mexico, Costa Rica, and the Amazon. I wonder if Amazonian birds could be split from Central American birds?
13. Elegant Trogon- A few times in Arizona, often in Mexico, and just once in Costa Rica (where it is uncommon and local).
14. Orange-bellied Trogon- Many times in Costa Rica and once in Panama.
15. Masked Trogon- Many times in Ecuador and Peru.
16. Black-throated Trogon- Many times in Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, and Peru.
17. Blue-crowned Trogon- Once in a while in Tambopata, Peru.
18. Slaty-tailed Trogon- Several in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama.
19. Black-tailed Trogon- Often in Tambopata, Peru.
20. Lattice-tailed Trogon- See this quite often at my favorite birding site in Costa Rica.
21. Ecuadorian Trogon- A few times in Ecuador.
22. Resplendent Quetzal- Fairly easy in Costa Rica.
23. Pavonine Quetzal- Not near as easy but saw them once in a while in Tambopata, Peru.
24. Golden-headed Quetzal- Easiest of the quetzals, Ecuador and Peru.
25. Crested Quetzal- Never seems to be as common as the Golden-headed, Ecuador.
26. Eared Quetzal- Got lucky with this one years ago in Durango, Mexico.

Wow once more! -i guess you did not meet too many birders at that time :)
The area around Fansipan is now deforested almost all the way up to 2000m, no Ward's Trogen there any more (I believe they need contiguous forest from high altutude to relatively low levels). An area not far south (Van Ban district) where some forest is still there, down to lower elevations, has been searched in recent years but the bird hasn't been found.

Surprisingly enough - I didn't meet any birders at all :-O ( but the 'guide' the government supplied ;) was reasonably interested in wildlife and stuff so it wasn't all bad ). I was back in Vietnam a couple of years ago and was horrified at the deforestation that has taken place - but reasonably cheered up by the reafforestation projects in various areas. Still a great country, particularly the northern bits, though.

chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back