• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (19 Viewers)

Finally got good views of the american wigeon today, took 2.5 hours for the pesky thing to come out of hiding. Seems to favour the area right of straight out just right of the line of wind turbines, viewed from the main hide.

Agreed - that sounds pretty much like where I re-located it yesterday morning. Another good marker is a building on the far side of the washes with a red silo in fron of it, and about 5 or 6 long thin skylights in the roof on the right hand end.

For anyone thinking of taking a look, it's pretty distant - one of those occasions where I felt a real benefit from investing in a good quality big scope!

'you were out there Friday morning birding not listing' or was he? I think you will find he was there trying to add Little Auk to his list!;)
(Sorry, guys, just couldn't resist!o:))

Slander

Be careful I might be contacting my solicitor! I reckon I've missed 12 birds this year that I could and should have seen, due to jetlag, being blind, not having long enough legs etc. This would have got or equalled the record (280?). I reckon you should have another crack next year Dave, I certainly won't be!

Can the county year list record be broken in 2009?

... no, I doubt it.

Assuming the record score needed is 280, are there enough birds?
How many birds have been seen this year?

The combined year list for all Bubo year listers is precisely 280.
Dave Appleton has the highest list on Bubo with 271. Of the nine Dave has not seen I doubt many of them were "twitchable".

My 2009 year list and my 1996 year list are both 251. I consider 1996 a better year than 2009. I reckon there were 280 twitchable birds in Norfolk in 1996, checking the relevant NBR. If I recall rightly Robin Abel had 275 that year for what was then a county record (?).

If you fail at cley you could try the path from cley towards blakeney the first 200yrds gave us some great veiws earlyer this year as said before try in still conditions and in the dry keep your ears peeled for the call go to the rspb website click on birds then find bearded tit then click on call once you have heard it a few times you will soon pick up on it B :)

Are there any particularly good areas to see bearded tits in Norfolk, ive been struggling to some this year so far.

thanks eco:t:

There were several birds calling from the reeds alongside the fresh marsh at Titchwell this afternoon although not showing due to the wind. If the wind drops, as forecast later in the week, you stand a decent chance

Good luck

Paul

There were several birds calling from the reeds alongside the fresh marsh at Titchwell this afternoon although not showing due to the wind. If the wind drops, as forecast later in the week, you stand a decent chance

Good luck

Paul

Had a walk along reedham wherrymans walk yesterday, im sure i could hear them in the reeds but due to strong winds none were visible.

Bearded Tits at Cley NWT

The best and closest I have seen them anywhere is from the boardwalk to Dauke's Hide (central hides' complex) and from the path to Bishop Hide.

Usually in larger parties, moving through, they have sometimes been too close to photograph- provided one keeps still !

Strange, lovely birds, with that ringing, pinging call.

The best and closest I have seen them anywhere is from the boardwalk to Dauke's Hide (central hides' complex) and from the path to Bishop Hide.

Usually in larger parties, moving through, they have sometimes been too close to photograph- provided one keeps still !

Strange, lovely birds, with that ringing, pinging call.

The first time I have seen them was this afternoon at Strumpshaw on the non-reception walk round the corner from the Tower hide. About 5 yards away.

I also saw the Great Northern Diver down towards Brundall boat yards

Attachments

• IMGP0460.jpg
    IMGP0460.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMGP0450.jpg
    IMGP0450.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 133
Does anybody know if there is a Yahoo newsgroup for Norfolk bird news?
There is a good one in Cambs (cambirds) and unlike Birdforum (I think!) you can set it up so new posts come to your email account.
If there isn't one in Norfolk it might be worth setting one up...
Cheers

Does anybody know if there is a Yahoo newsgroup for Norfolk bird news?
There is a good one in Cambs (cambirds) and unlike Birdforum (I think!) you can set it up so new posts come to your email account.
If there isn't one in Norfolk it might be worth setting one up...
Cheers

Yes there are two.

One is called [email protected] , and the other is norfolkbirdnews@yahoo

I am sure if you do a google search you will find the list owners.

Sue

Last edited:
A Sociopaths Paradise

A really wonderful day on the Point today and not a human soul in sight. First up a Peregrine hunting over the Harbour then 7 Shorelarks in the dunes. Was beckoned away by the lowing and moaning of the seals and Far Point was festooned with newly born pups some maybe hours old. Tried to keep my distance but was difficult since they were hidden in the dunes as well as on the beach. On the sea a messy looking 1st win Red-necked Grebe, then in the Harbour a Great Northern Diver, Goldeneye and 5 Mergs. The walk back which can sometimes be quite quiet still produced, I was surprised to flush a Woodcock from the shingle then had a probable Merlin perched on the Watchhouse before shooting out into the Harbour. An ill-advised attempt to cross the Harbour mud at high tide produced 6 Bewick's Swans over and another 5 Goldeneye.

Last edited:
The Twite flock was showing well at Titchwell today.

I know it's good to be sure where these birds come from but some were carrying at least 4 rings. This looks like a bit of overkill.

The attached picture is not too good but shows just what a high percentage of these birds are marked.

As we were walking back a couple of birders asked if they were showing and if they could be ID'd - "just look for the wing bar, yellow bill and pink bands on their legs" we said. They didn't know that pink bands were a feature! ;)

Attachments

• Twite 091209 DSCN3388.jpg
    Twite 091209 DSCN3388.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 213
The question was asked earlier as to the Lady Anne`s Drive parking charges for next year. A season ticket for Wells and Lady Anne`s Drive will be £90. The parking is being now run by RCP Parking, who say improvements will be made over the winter, including increased parking attendants, to help the public!!! ie make sure everyone pays. Would not put it past them to make surrounding areas no parking as well, now it is run by a commercial concern. They do not know day rates, at moment £3.50, but as the season ticket has increased by over 30% cannot see that will remain as it is.
So if you want to find your own birds get a permit, I am sure there will not be as many other birders there as at the moment.

john

http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back