• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (41 Viewers)

Hi all this is my first post, been lurking for a while but not had anything of note till now. Stopped off at Strumpshaw and had great views of the Osprey and a rather dark Marsh Harrier in same Fov lovely comparison.

That’s Tawn it !

Arriving at Salthouse Beach car park, I strode towards Gramboro’, meeting another local birder on the way. We discussed the possible origins of the Blue Tits that had recently descended on us and the changes in the plumage of the male Stonechat.

[The Online Ringing Report of the BTO shows that only one was ringed in Scandinavia (Norway) and recovered here (Suffolk); the other 8 were ringed on the near-Continent: http://blx1.bto.org/ring/countyrec/resultsall/rec14620all.htm]

At the far end of The Hill, I heard a cheup, immediately proclaiming “Tawny Pipit!” to my companion, looked in the direction of the sparrow-like call and saw a large pipit flying away from us. Another was with it.

They appeared to land in the middle of the field- but even four of us scanning for a good half-hour did not turn them up again.

The info was written in the Cley NWT VC/CBC logbook and also passed to one of the bird news dissemination services.

Wells Woods had almost as many birders as birds. I heard one of the Yellow-broweds, but was unable to visually locate it.

A male Migrant Hawker sunned itself at the south of the first section.

I assume these aren't photos of said osprey? If so it's the weirdest osprey I've ever seen?!

Perhaps it’s embarrassed, Stuart.

Attachments

• 005pse.jpg
    005pse.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 72
They appeared to land in the middle of the field- but even four of us scanning for a good half-hour did not turn them up again.

I wonder if 40 ish people might have had a better chance of relocating them?

By the time the chinese whispers had reached me, they were just 'flyovers'

Last edited:
At the far end of The Hill, I heard a cheup, immediately proclaiming “Tawny Pipit!” to my companion, looked in the direction of the sparrow-like call and saw a large pipit flying away from us. Another was with it.

The info was written in the Cley NWT VC/CBC logbook .

It's now dark and still no mention of any Tawny Pipits on RBA. I call that suppression.

Bird of the day

The only good bird I saw and found today was a nice Pied Flycatcher on the Fen Trail, Titchwell RSPB at 5.30pm, catching flies by the sycamore on the right hand side of the path just before Fen Hide.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

No sign of the Buff-breast this morning.

Interesting that I had a few calls wondering about its presence and why news (or lack of) hadn't been forthcoming.
The purists will obviously hope that all the 'real' birders were out on their patches, not worried about seeing someone elses bird.
The sceptics will be saying all the pagerers (still the only word I apprecite someone saying) were waiting in the warm for the pager to go off.

Either way, it continues the demise of twitching (particulalry in Norfolk)! I hear faint cheers from the depths!!

We went to look for this bird this morning, arriving just before 9am - about as early as we could get from Thetford with a 6 year old! Surprised there had been no news either way by this stage. I phoned out the negative news just after 9. There were fewer than 10 birders there.

There were 8 Ringed Plover in the field by the Lighthouse, and a Wheatear nearby. Bethany and I walked the beach for a good way towards the south. Offshore 3 Arctic Skuas, few Red-throated Divers, one Common Terns, few Sandwich Tern and a good number of auks passing.

I think...

Had a great day, starting at Martham Broad; on to Horsey path to Horsey Corner, then to Strumpshaw. Highlights were a good, close(ish) sighting of the osprey at Strumpshaw, three (distant) cranes at Horsey and the attached (I hope) immature long-tailed skua (I think, but quite happy and grateful to bow to more experienced opinions) which flew up from Martham Broad and headed towards the sea. Returned home leg-weary and enjoyed a tea of nag pie with lashings of tongue.

Attachments

• Bird02706sml_20120929.jpg
    Bird02706sml_20120929.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Bird02713sml_20120929.jpg
    Bird02713sml_20120929.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Bird02715sml_20120929.jpg
    Bird02715sml_20120929.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 194
For anyone who is interested, as I got out of my car at Walsey Hills very early on Friday morning, the Sacred Ibis was flying over the field across the road towards Salthouse. I went up onto the hill but couldn't re-locate it. Quite a sight!

Had a great day, starting at Martham Broad; on to Horsey path to Horsey Corner, then to Strumpshaw. Highlights were a good, close(ish) sighting of the osprey at Strumpshaw, three (distant) cranes at Horsey and the attached (I hope) immature long-tailed skua (I think, but quite happy and grateful to bow to more experienced opinions) which flew up from Martham Broad and headed towards the sea. Returned home leg-weary and enjoyed a tea of nag pie with lashings of tongue.

extraordinary pics Fast Ricky, i'm sure most posters will agree this is not usually the kind of angles we see Skuas! for that reason i'm quite happy to be proved wrong on this and hope the discussion/contributions will be educational.

from all three attachments I can see
A longer 'hand' than 'arm' - visa versa on Arctic
Clear demarcation of barring on undertail coverts + cold tones
blunted, longish tail streamers
reduced primary flashes
single shaft on underprimaries?
paler belly, and clear colour differentiation between head and belly
messy, more jagged and dotty underwing patterning (than Arctic)
steeper forehead
breasty more than chesty :smoke:
overall paler tones

intermediate (mocha) Long-tailed Skua for my money, Matham Broad you lucky so and so :t:

Last edited:

Interestingly, and almost simultaneously, another Tawny overflew AVL-terrein Eygelshoven, in the Netherlands: http://www.trektellen.nl/trektelling.asp?telpost=36&land=10&site=0&datum=20120929&taal=2

It's now dark and still no mention of any Tawny Pipits on RBA. I call that suppression.

The record went ‘on’ at 2240h, over 5 hours after I posted on here. However, a few clarifications: they (2) flew west, not over Gramboro’, but the field to its south and did not land in the field, which is not stubble, but a grazing marsh. Apart from those . . . !

That skua’s (#17656) far too close for us Sheringham sea-watchers. We ID them before they even come over the horizon. “Simples!”

The record went ‘on’ at 2240h, over 5 hours after I posted on here. However, a few clarifications: they (2) flew west, not over Gramboro’, but the field to its south and did not land in the field, which is not stubble, but a grazing marsh. Apart from those . . . !”

Exactly. Posting on here, or anywhere else on the net, is effectively suppression. If you want to share your birds, or get help looking for them, then you need to phone an information service direct, with the correct information, at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back