• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor South Africa (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Photo from Virginie Naessens (with permission), earlier this month in Krüger NP, South Africa.

Any suggestion ?

Attachments

• raptor_rsa1bf.jpg
    raptor_rsa1bf.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 48
European Honey Buzzard, possibly second cal year

Thanks. Although extremely unlikely in South Africa, how to exclude Crested Honey Buzzard here ? I've seen a bunch of them recently in Asia, and that was my immediate gut reaction. Lack of carpal patch ?

Thanks. Although extremely unlikely in South Africa, how to exclude Crested Honey Buzzard here ? I've seen a bunch of them recently in Asia, and that was my immediate gut reaction. Lack of carpal patch ?

agree but I guess moulting from juv to adult plus bad quality of pic may play a role, but there still are a few darker carpal feathers

adult EHB start moult at breeding site leaving Europe in September with1-3 new inner primaries and finish primary moult before coming back, sec. cy probably more or less the same

What's the Southerly limit then?

We had it in the Caprivi although it's quite further North.

Attachments

• Honey Buzzard.jpg
    Honey Buzzard.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 25
I'd say your bird is European Honey Buzzard, not Crested. ASAIK, there's less than 5 records of Crested Honey Buzzard in Africa.

Sorry, should have been clearer, I meant what is the Southerly limit of EHB if it's unlikely in SA as you say. I knew that mine was a EHB and wasn't claiming Crested.

Sorry, should have been clearer, I meant what is the Southerly limit of EHB if it's unlikely in SA as you say. I knew that mine was a EHB and wasn't claiming Crested.

Valery meant OHB is unlikely in SA, EHB's wintering range is just reaching north of SA so I guess they must be regular there

Valery meant OHB is unlikely in SA, EHB's wintering range is just reaching north of SA so I guess they must be regular there

I've guided several trips in South Africa and never missed to see some in North-East. It is said uncommon, but for sure at least regular.

Yes, I was talking about Crested (Oriental) HB that is extreme vagrant in Africa (but seen as far West as Gabon).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back