• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Disappeared! (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Ever since I filled up the feeder on March 19th, there have been no birds at the feeder at all. I'm getting worried. What's going on? I cleaned the feeder, and added new seeds. I just don't see what's wrong. Could someone provide me with some advice?

Couple other things could be affecting attendance: roaming cats in your neighborhood? Things are starting to bud and bloom, and for some this is the natural wild food source.

But I'm sure they'll come back.

Perhaps you had a flock of migrants that have since moved on due to the season, other folks on here (in England at least) have been asking what's happened to their Siskins.

gthang said:
Ever since I filled up the feeder on March 19th, there have been no birds at the feeder at all. I'm getting worried. What's going on? I cleaned the feeder, and added new seeds. I just don't see what's wrong. Could someone provide me with some advice?
Try putting out different seed or vary your suet.. Do u have platform feeders. Do u throw seed on ground. I think it takes all variations if you want consistent number of birds. I sometimes put out bread on platform or put in a suet feeder. It sometimes brings in grackles, starlings, jays, but I have come to conclusion that these birds sometimes bring in their acquaintances like the redwings, cowbirds, doves and then the cardinals and mockingbirds and sparrows follow. I think the smaller birds note a safe feeding ground when these bigger birds show up. I guess its safety in numbers. Try it. By the way there is a bread bakery in our city that sells the bread taken out of stores for about $3 for lg trash bag when too old to selll in their outlet.. They call it hog bread. I give that to grackles, etc. They love it. Ask your local baker. Also I have had really good luck attracting small birds w/peanuts and mealworms.

MIKE in Historic Charleston, SC

Same situation here

gthang said:

Any birds that migrate are gone, and the locals are breeding. Behavior patterns change, the birds are less tolerant of humans. They will be back. ;)

Well, we had a pine siskin or two (for a beginner!), gaggles of American Goldfinches, Tufted Titmouse, Black-Capped Chickadees, Dark-Eyed Junco, Red-Bellied Woodies, Downy Woodies, Hairy Woodpecker, House Finch, Song - American Tree - Fox - House Sparrows, and a host lot more. However the American Tree and Fox sparrows are winter residents her in NY, and Pine Siskins as well. Every other bird is a year-round resident.

As for other feeders, we have just purchased a finch feeder and a 5 USD bag of Thistle. We have yet to hang it though. PS: Does thistle attract squirrels? And what finches would be attracted to the thistle?

Anyway, sure hope they come back...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back