• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (9 Viewers)

A Water Rail showed very well in front of the screen at Coney on Friday. Another was heard near Hawford along the canal.

6 Redpolls over Chatley. A small flock of Siskins around Salwarpe.

2 Little Owls sunbathing at Ladywood this morning.

Nuthatch, Treecrepers, Ravens, Cormorants, Grey Herons, winter thrushes, Mistle Thrushes, Goldcrests, male and female Kestrels together at Coney.

26 Lapwings just flew over Coney towards Copcut - I think that's the largest flock I've ever recorded in this part of the patch.

Superb! Have there been many on the site over the years?

Only my second, Mary- although there have been reports from other people.

There was an amazing Starling roost this evening - I estimate about 7000 birds in total!

2 Lapwings flew over between Salwarpe and Ladywood and there was a female Blackcap feeding on mistletow berries in the hedge along the canal.

3 Yellowhammers flew over near Tapenhall. One at Coney on Friday.

2 Water Rails showing along the canal near Hawford.

A Weasel ran across the road near Middleton Grange.

Other birds this weekend included Ravens, Grey Wagtails, Little OwlSiskins, Coal Tit, Nuthatches, Kingfishers, Treecreepers, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Goldcrests, Herons, winter Thrushes, Reed Buntings, Bullfinches and Mistle Thrushes.

Last edited:
A brilliant murmuration this afternoon. Several thousand starlings. Still many large flocks coming in after the main event. 15:45 ---16:05.

Further sightings since Friday:

2 Snipes Coney Meadow on Friday.
1 Water Rail along the canal between Ladywood and Porter's Mill plus up to 3 along the canal between Mildenham and Hawford/Linacre.
1 Yellowhammer over Ladywood yesterday
13+ Siskins in Alders around Salwarpe
1 Little Owl at Ladywood
A flock of ~50 Meadow Pipits around High Park
1 Muntjac in Coney Meadow on Friday
A Sparrowhawk took a Starling from the roost on Friday evening

Plus Kingfisher, Grey Herons, Cormorants, Goldcrests, Kestrels, Buzzards, Ravens, Mistle Thrushes, Redwings, Fieldfares, Coal Tits, Nuthatches, Treecreepers, Bullfinches, Reed Buntings, etc.

Red Kite over Danes Green/Jacobs Ladder. 10:00 am. Drifting North East.

Nice One! I must've just missed that one - I was in the area until just before 10 this morning. I'll add it to the sightings log for December and keep my eyes peeled over the next few days :t:

Not much to add from my limited visit this morning - a female Blackcap near the 'Old Cottage' Ladywood and a Redpoll over. Four Siskins over near Droitwich.

A drake Tufted Duck and a Water Rail at Tapenhall pool this morning.

15 Redpolls at nearby Lucy's Wood.

16+ Linnets near Salwarpe (this species has been relatively scarce on the patch for the past few weeks).

Fantastic show by starlings yesterday enhanced by the gusty winds. They were being pushed around and strugging to stay together which made for more of an event.

A Lapwing in fields near Salwarpe this morning was constantly being harassed by corvids.

A female Blackcap along the canal near Salwarpe.

A Water Rail showed well at Tapenhall pool.

A dozen or more Siskins around Salwarpe and one Redpoll over.

Boxing Day .... Little Owl on top of small barn near the T junction up from the Hadley Bowling Green and the road leading to Porters Mill 14:30 ish
Also Little Grebe on canal between Ladywood and Salwarpe

A Green Sandpiper this morning at New Mill sewage plant.

A Little Owl nearby in its usual place.

Two female Blackcaps at Ladywood Lock Cottage.

A Tufted Duck at Tapenhall and a Water Rail showed well along the canal at Mildenham.

Six Cormorants at Hawford.

Three Snipes at Coney Meadow.

Coal Tit, Nuthatch and several Siskins around Salwarpe.

A Little Egret flew over Coney towards Westwood early evening and then back again about 15 minutes later.
A pair of Teal flew over due west.
A Cetti's Warbler in front of the screen called five or six times.
A Water Rail at Porter's Mill earlier.
About 7000 Starlings roosted at Coney.
Sparrowhawk,Kestrel, Cormorant, Grey Heron, etc.

A spectacular Starling roost this evening - possibly exceeding 10,000 birds! Most stayed in the air together and when they had roosted another 1000 or so came in followed by a few dribs and drabs.

The Cetti's Warbler called once and a couple of Snipe flew from the reedbed at dusk. A Water Rail called also.

Earlier a Tufted Duck drake was at Tapenhall. Skylark, Meadow Pipits and a growing flock of Siskins around Salwarpe.

Highlights of 2016

I recorded 111 species on the patch this year. My highlights included:

Marsh Harrier, Merlin (2 records), Osprey, Little Ringed Plover, Woodcock, Common Sandpiper, Quail, Mediterranean Gull and Goosander (2 records).

Plus it's been an excellent year for Redstart (12 records), Yellow Wagtail (23 records), Green Sandpiper and Common Tern. It was great to see the return of the hepatic phase Cuckoo.

Notable 'concentrations' of selected species included:

10,000 Starlings
400 House Martins
26 Lapwings
17 Cormorants
15 Gadwall
14 Ravens
8 Mandarin Ducks
6 Little Egrets
3 Red Kites
2 Barn Owls

and plenty of partridge (not) in a pear tree.

Happy New Year and good birding in 2017!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back