• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Sparrowhawk's Lament: How British Breeding Birds of Prey Are Faring: David Cobham (1 Viewer)

Thanks - a great review of what looks a must-buy book. I hope my local Waterstones will stock it, otherwise I'll have a look at the Bird Fair

I posted a review on my blog.

IMHO It's a very entertaining read without being too scientific.

There are lots of anecdotes and observations about birds of prey with plenty of B&W drawings by Bruce Pearson.

Agree! I don't buy many contemporary bird books (and was somewhat disappointed with the last one I did buy...) but made an exception for this. I'd say anyone interested in British diurnal raptors really ought to read it, and those not 'of a certain age' will learn a great deal about conservation efforts from the mid-20thC onward, and about many of the cast of characters involved. In my mind this ranks as the third essential book on British raptors: Leslie Brown's old but still useful "British Birds of Prey" (New Nat.#60) and Dick Orton's "The Hawkwatcher" being the other two (not getting to single species works). Bruce Pearson's illustrations capture the jizz of each species wonderfully. Yes, a bit short on raptor biology, but great on history, politics and practicalities. But with all those names and personalities, why didn't the publisher include an index? (so simple to generate in these digital days).
Brian

I popped in to my local Waterstone's this week to have a look at this book, but they didn't have a copy - an assistant checked on the computer & told me that only three stores had one as the publisher - Princeton University Press - was too 'obscure'. Hope to see it at the Bird Fair unless the RSPB at Dungeness have a copy ...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back