• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify skua,Iran (1 Viewer)

king2122

Hi
I saw this skua today(11/10/2018) in Tehran,Iran.
what kind of skua is that?
tanx

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 230
If it's a Long-tailed Skua, that would be the second record for Iran. I suggest you send your photos to the Iranian Rare Bird Committee. See http://iranbirdrecords.ir/
MJB
Yes indeed, a most exciting record that area. And obviously a full record description of the circumstances. MJB, what's your thoughts on the id. of the bird, if you don't mind me asking.
P

Last edited:
Yes indeed, a most exciting record that area. And obviously a full record description of the circumstances. MJB, what's your thoughts on the id. of the bird, if you don't mind me asking.
P

I'd go with Andy's conclusion, for he's a much better birder than I am...
MJB

I'd go with Andy's conclusion, for he's a much better birder than I am...
MJB
Yep, I'd go along with that......we had a great time in Goa Andy - brilliant birding and great company, especially Backwoods.
L.T. Skua done and dusted.

Send me a Nutcracker A. Need one for Norfolk.

Pat

An alternate view on the Global Rare Bird Alert FB page |:||

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 11.36.29.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 11.36.29.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 156
I've been found out, so I had better explain here....

This is not the first skua on here to generate a good deal of discussion, but surprisingly, there appears to be no dissension over the identification of the bird as a Long-tailed. But is it really a Long-tailed? I don't think so. Perhaps some commentators are under the impression that it is a juvenile/first-year, which might explain the reliance being placed on its greyness/coldness. The plain dark underwing revealed in the flight-shot confirms that it is in fact an adult, and in non-breeding plumage all three of the species in the frame acquire a much more barred look than they have in adult breeding plumage. We don't see many looking like this in Europe, so it is not surprising that there is some confusion when they pop up here!

I think the best clues to the bird's identity can be seen in the head-pattern: if you look, with half-closed eyes, at the shot of the bird swimming in profile you will be able to see that the extent of the cap, in particular the somewhat irregular lower border, 'ghosts' the head-pattern of breeding adult Arctic Skua rather than Long-tailed. Long-tailed has a rather straight and clean-cut divide between its dark cap and light cheek, whereas Arctic usually has ill-defined dark tones below the eye and just below the gape, often with a slightly paler area immediately below the eye. Further confirmation of the bird's identity can be seen in the structure of the bill; the distal portion of the bill, the nail, is proportionately longer in Long-tailed than in Arctic. On the bird in question the nail is clearly less than half the overall bill-length. Finally, I would expect a non-breeding plumaged adult Long-tailed to have somewhat lighter, more greyish-brown upperparts than this bird.

Anyone interested in following up on this subject and looking at more images of adult skuas in non-breeding plumage is directed to the excellent library of photos hosted by the Oriental Bird Club, for example:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=937

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=97964&Bird_ID=937&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

but beware that even here there is some confusion, with this bird being identified as a probably a Long-tailed, when I think it is actually another confusing Arctic:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=66424&Bird_ID=939&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

Finally, there is an amazing montage here of winter head patterns of adult Long-tailed Skuas at exactly this time of year:

https://longicaudus.wordpress.com/long-tailed-skuas/winter-plumage-long-tailed-skua/

I attach one of the photos of the Iranian skua with annotations, illustrating some of the points discussed.

Regards,

Killian

Attachments

• skua_Iran_Nov2018_1_annotated.jpg
    skua_Iran_Nov2018_1_annotated.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back