• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are old Zeiss bins any good? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I met a chap recently who had got an old pair of Zeiss bins at an auction, for 25 euro. He was a casual birder, and let me have a peek. They were pretty amazing, although I didn´t have anything with me at the time to compare. I´ve no idea how old they were, but they were roof-prisms, came in a big old leather case, and had "Carl Zeiss" written on them. They were 8x56 mag., didn´t seem that heavy to me, I´d estimate about 950 grams. Great definition, seemed crystal-clear to the edge, good colour rendition and I think they were more than a bargain at the price. Apart from the ridiculously low price, are bins like this worth pursuing, or do they have drawbacks?

I think they're excellent (though have never tried any newer high end bins like Leicas or newer Zeisses to compare). I have a pair of old Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50s (Multicoated version) which I've used on birding day trips and found them to be brilliant. I also found a pair of Jenoptem 8x30s on Ebay for £35 buy it now so have got them, they are excellent also.

One thing you have to watch for with secondhand bins is that they are still collimated (aligned - no 'double image'). If you get a chance to look through them before the auction, look at somthing small if you can, like a far off bird or high-flying aircraft, these are a good test as to if a binocular is collimated or not.

btw, I've heard good things about those 8x56s, and go for well over £100 on Ebay, sounds like you got a bargain! :D

Sancho,

I think this thread should be moved to the binocular forum. The Zeiss 8x56 you mentioned would be an early example of the 8x56 B/GA Dialyt. It's the only 8x56 roof prism binocular Zeiss has ever made and is still listed as a current model on the Zeiss website. One with "Carl Zeiss" on the logo rather than the later "Zeiss inside a square" logo would have been made between 1968 and 1972. It would not be as good as current production because neither T* multi-coating nor P* phase coating had been invented yet. Still a working pair for 35 euros is an amazing bargain.

When it comes to "Zeiss" binoculars made after WWII there is a big difference between West German Zeiss which made very high quality and expensive binoculars and Carl Zeiss Jena in East Germany which, with a few noteworthy exceptions, made lower quality and much cheaper binoculars.

Henry

Sorry, I thought I was in the Binocular Forum when I posted this! Serious attention lapse. Thanks to you both for your very thorough info on the Zeiss bins. Not sure how to move the post to the Bins Forum, I´ll contact admin.

henry link said:
Sancho,

I think this thread should be moved to the binocular forum. The Zeiss 8x56 you mentioned would be an early example of the 8x56 B/GA Dialyt. It's the only 8x56 roof prism binocular Zeiss has ever made and is still listed as a current model on the Zeiss website. One with "Carl Zeiss" on the logo rather than the later "Zeiss inside a square" logo would have been made between 1968 and 1972. It would not be as good as current production because neither T* multi-coating nor P* phase coating had been invented yet. Still a working pair for 35 euros is an amazing bargain.

When it comes to "Zeiss" binoculars made after WWII there is a big difference between West German Zeiss which made very high quality and expensive binoculars and Carl Zeiss Jena in East Germany which, with a few noteworthy exceptions, made lower quality and much cheaper binoculars.

Henry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back