• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

45x wide on 883/dslr adapter for 883 (1 Viewer)

Boy Wonder

Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves
I know this topic was started below but it didn't stay with the 883. I have the 30 wide and zoom and think the wide is as good as any lens going, would I be gaining anything by getting the 45x and adapter? Does anyone use this combination regularly? A lot of my birding is done at a relative distance and I also do lots of work with the public and 'untrained' eyes so providing a larger subject rather than my terrible directions also appeals. Would also like to hear of anyone using this combination who digiscopes with it. Any good? How does the IQ perform? Like any photographer, I think, I always want a little bit more reach and the 30 performs very well but as with anything it has a range. Following on from this, as hinted at in the subject, does anyone use the dslr adapter for the 883? I have a 40D and 400 5.6 which is great for anything under 50 m but would like to have some options for record shots? Sorry if it's not the done thing to have two different topics in one post but they sort of link............ a bit. Thank you for any help, advice or opinions.

If you have the TE-10Z zoom you will not gain anything as the FoV and effective mag of the 45x in the 883 will be nearly the same as with the zoom at 60x. I have also demo'd the PZ dSLR adapter and is very nice for the focal length it offers. In the end though, I prefer digiscoping with a compact for the even longer focal lengths AF assist.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back