• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (1 Viewer)

I heard from other birders that there have been a influx in eastern of the UK but I don't know how much of that is true. If that is the case I think the western part also had his share.

Cheers

Some good sightings there Rik. Particularly interested in the wagtails - you saw these at Baron's Haugh too - has there been a bit of an influx of these?

Might be nothing special for people to see,, but there were around 8 Eider ducks in the River Ayr, in the harbour area today,, looked like a family to me. I have worked down there for a long time and have never seen any about before.

Yesterday I found a Spoonbill at Hunterston area.
It might be the same that has been seen briefly last week at Irvine area.
I discovered the bird around 4.10 pm and was seen till 8.40pm by others when It flew up to roost?

Spoonbill still showing nice at Hunterston sands Yesterday (03.06) evening between 6 and 8pm.

cheers,
Rik

Yesterday I found a Spoonbill at Hunterston area.
It might be the same that has been seen briefly last week at Irvine area.
I discovered the bird around 4.10 pm and was seen till 8.40pm by others when It flew up to roost?

The following message was on Ayrshire birding Yahoogroup yesterday:

Answer: There is a bus stop just on the north side of the Hunterston Roundabout, which would leave you with a short walk down to the site.

Question: Is there any way to get near this area by public transport? Would like to get over there sometime tomorrow if possible. .......

BTW. Yesterdaymorning several birders has searched for the Spoonbill without luck. Also during this morning no luck for the Spoonbill so it looked as if the Spoonbill is only present during the Afternoon/Evening.
Yesterday around 8pm the Spoonbill flew up in Westerly direction so It is even possible it will not return anymore. Just wait for further reports.

Can you get here by bus or train?

Last edited:
Thanks Rik. I was hoping to make a trip there on Friday as I'm already planning to go to the Isle of May on Thursday.

p.s. is it scope only, or can you see it with your bins?

Hi all. I'm posting with what may hopefully be a bit of a (somewhat late!) heads up regarding a probable Glossy Ibis recently in Argyll. A friend - keen on birding but perhaps best described as more toward the novice end of the scale - has recently returned from a Lochs and Glens break at the Ardgarten Hotel, Arrochar and he asked me if it was at all possible that he had seen a Glossy Ibis whilst there as he'd seen what he felt certain was one. He's seen the species in Norfolk but the Scottish details are this, and I apologise if the directions are somewhat vague (to say the least!). The coach was returning from an excursion on either Friday 31st May or Saturday 1st June and as they followed a Loch-side road my friend had a naked-eye only view of what he took to be a Glossy Ibis feeding amongst waders along the Loch shore. Unfortunately, he can't recall where they were at the time but looking on the map, I'm guessing it must have been along the A814 bordering Loch Long or Gare Loch or along the A82 bordering Loch Lomond. I said to him that Glossy Ibis would be quite exceptional and was a little taken aback when I checked RBA and saw that one was reported on Mull on May 26th. It may be something, it may be nothing, and it'll be a bit like looking for a needle... but I felt someone may appreciate the info. Fingers crossed that one of you guys can relocate it...

Atb,

James

Thanks for sharing this James.
Because I live to far away to drive for such a claim, I Hope it will fly a little bit more south.
I will keep my eye's out for any Glossy Ibis in my region. Lot's of potential good habitat here.

Cheers,
Rik

I took advantage of the ferry from Tarbet to visit Inversnaid today. Very warm and once I let a few people and their dog past, very quiet. The only downside about the ferry is that the earliest one is at 11.30. I much prefer doing birding early in the morning, if they could even do an 8 or 9 sailing that would be swell!

I go to the reserve every year - used to go at least twice a year when I had the car but now restricted to the summer months when public transport is available.

I saw one of two possible lifers today - the pied flycatcher. There were a male and a female near to the path, I got very good views, but as always when I tried to get my camera out they were gone.

Really good view of a tree pipit as well - in fact I saw at least 3 of these. This is only the second time I've seen these, first time was on Mull many years ago. The more common meadow pipits were also around.

Heard the distinctive spinning coin song of the wood warbler, and I was able to get a good view too. Blackcaps and willow warblers were all around, and I also saw a garden warbler right up at the highest point on the walk. This was a great view, only my second sighting ever of one of these, and it was living up to its reputation for being distinctive by having no distinctive features! I sat watching it sing from a tree about 10m away for about 30 minutes.

Other highlights include a cuckoo - my third sighting of the year, all in different locations. Common sandpiper down by the ferry. Barn swallows, house martins showing very well down at the water, and a few swifts too. A quite dirty looking male red-breasted merganser was also down on the water.

I'll be back to get the bird I dipped on - redstart! According to the website black grouse are there too, but there's next to no chance seeing them during the middle of the day.

I had hoped to see an osprey or two, but no luck today.

Some good birds there, JT. I got my first ever Redstarts earlier this year, just a bit further south at Ross Wood. I'd previously tried at Inversnaid but with no luck. I should think Ross Wood isn't too easy on public transport, but I also got one at the car park at Millarochy Bay which is walkable from Balmaha.

I went to Cathkin Marsh yesterday. The main reason was botanical: I was hoping to see some orchids, but I think I was too early. It was the early July when the reserve was full of them last year.

Bird-wise I saw at least nine male reed buntings and one female (I suspect there was at least nine pairs), whitethroat, willow warbler, sedge warbler, song thrush, grey heron, mallard (complete with ducklings), common buzzard, kestrel, a wheatear sunbathing on a fence post, and barn swallows and house martins feeding overhead, the former occasionally skimming the water surface.

I saw three butterfly species: large white (or small - I'm not sure if there's an obvious size difference), orange tip, and small tortoiseshell.

Two damselflies too: azure and large red.

One of the things I like about this reserve is that it's so quiet. You can feel you're a world away from civilisation, despite a farm being over the hill, and the occasional aroma wafting over from the nearby landfill. When you're down in the marsh proper, it is very tranquil.

I did notice on the path into the reserve that most of the hedges had been cut down. Last year I saw a yellow shell butterfly here, but there doesn't seem to be much cover for birds or insects. Hopefully in time new hedges will grow back, but it wasn't a pretty sight. I hope that all the attention isn't being focused on the marsh and they consider this short path to be expendable.

the hedge cutting was apparently due to the hedges dying from the ground up- the foliage looked ok, but they were in decline. I'll take their word for it, but for the first few months of the year the place was desolate. Huge difference now that the warblers are back, and the fnches/ y'ammer are coming back onto the path.

the landfill makes it interesting on warm days, but is good for meadow pipits, the kestrel hunts over it, and on good days the swallows swoop down from over the ridge.

I thought I saw a stonechat up to the right of the path amongst the gorse, but it went behind the hill before I got a good look.

One time I was there in winter, there was a mixed flock of over 50 redwings and fieldfares in the field to the left.

I really do think it's a top notch reserve, yet very few people seem to know about it (let's keep it that way!)

I also got 3 Linnets there recently during the evening to add to the list. Groppers are evident in their song, but seeing them proves harder - along with Water Rail too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back