• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Habicht 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Beautiful condition and very pretty!

I can't date these exactly, but they closely resemble my 8x30 Habichts which were bought in the late 80's. There are a few differences which suggest your pair is earlier than that. Yours have the earlier type hard eyecups instead of roll-down rubber. I believe the rubber ones will fit your binocular and can be supplied by Swarovski. Your hard leather case is also an earlier type, so I imagine yours are mid 80's or probably earlier. The biggest optical change at around that time was the introduction of a two layer multi-coating called "Transmax". I can't see the color reflections clearly in the lenses of your pair, but if they have that coating they will show reflections of a deep violet or magenta depending on the angle and the image will have an obvious yellow bias.

Henry

Last edited:
Hi Henry,

thank you for your answer.

I was able to receive a short answer from Swarovski too and they stated that this binoculars was made 'before' 1980; I was not able to receive e more accurate answer.

As for the coating, missing comparison, I will say they reflect bluish light not quite violet or magenta but I could be wrong.

Any idea on market value if I decide to sell them? I believe condition is really good for collectors.

Thanks,

Marco.

hi all!
Did you get any other info about those binoculars? did you try them against some modern designs?
i have the chance to buy the same model but in pristine conditions and i would really appreciate any available feedback about them.
best regards
A

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back