• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa del Sol vs Majorca (1 Viewer)

Alan G

So far, it's a toss up between a ''birding for me & sunbathing for her'' holiday in a villa either in Northern Majorca (Pollensa) and or near the Costa Del Sol for next year.

Can anyone offer me some advice on these areas please?

So far I'm erring towards Northern Majorca as the sites seem more accessible and distances are short (as opposed to Southern Spain) although the birding does seem better in Southern Spain.

Can anyone advise on the travelling to and from the likes of Tarifa/Ronda from the coastal areas - what kind of distances will I need to travel and how long do these journeys take (I always find travelling abroad more time consuming due to poor roads) and, most importantly, is it worth it when I get there?

Thanks

Alan

Alan G said:
So far, it's a toss up between a ''birding for me & sunbathing for her'' holiday in a villa either in Northern Majorca (Pollensa) and or near the Costa Del Sol for next year.

Can anyone offer me some advice on these areas please?

So far I'm erring towards Northern Majorca as the sites seem more accessible and distances are short (as opposed to Southern Spain) although the birding does seem better in Southern Spain.

Can anyone advise on the travelling to and from the likes of Tarifa/Ronda from the coastal areas - what kind of distances will I need to travel and how long do these journeys take (I always find travelling abroad more time consuming due to poor roads) and, most importantly, is it worth it when I get there?

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan.

First let me state that Spain now has an excellent road network, especially along the Costa del Sol, where nearly the entire coastline is covered by the dual-carriageway of the N-340.

The Costa del Sol seems perfect for your dilemma. The sun for her and good localized birding for him.

The access time to certain sites depends on where you base yourself.
I used to live in Estepona and could reach both Ronda and Tarifa in under an hour. However, there are many other great birding spots along the coast that can produce wonderful birding. Certainly Majorca cannot compare to the wealth of birding spots that are quick to reach and are easily accessible on the southern coast of mainland Spain.

I know this may sound like blatant advertising, but my book, "Birdwatching on Spain's Southern Coast" was written to help birders visiting the Costa del Sol area and contains in-depth information on over 30 sites in that region. The book has proved to be very successful and is now in it's up-dated (August 2004) second edition after only two and a half years.

No. I am not suggesting that you rush out and buy my book, but you could borrow a copy from your local library to give you an insight to the site locations and the wealth of birdlife to be found.

If you wish further information, drop me an e-mail. My address can be found on my website. I am always happy to help out fellow forum members, if I can.

Regards from Donana.

John.

I can't disagree - but if you do end up in Mallorca the birding can be pretty good, depending on the time of year and where you stay so it looks like you win either way!

When are you going?

Hi Alan
It would help us to give you advice if you told us when you're going. I know Majorca quite well, and it's lovely birding. I would say that both of your suggested destinations could fulfill the family needs, though, as John says, mainland Spain offers you a greater possible variety of habitats. The roads in Majorca are generally pretty good, though inevitably winding in coastal and mountain areas....but well worth the effort!! The famous reservoir in the mountains is one of Europe's great birding sites, for example.
Best
David

I've never been to the Costa Del Sol but I've visited Majorca twice, the first time staying in Pollensa the second time in Alcudia and I will be returning to Majorca again in the Spring. The birding is excellent in Majorca especially in Spring in fact when I stayed in Pollensa I would often just sit on the balcony watching birds such as Egyptian Vulture, Purple Herons,etc. flying past, there is also an excellent beach at Polensa where your wife can sunbathe while you watch the Audouin's gulls. Plenty of good birding spots nearby and the Albufera Reserve is only a short bus ride away.

Thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated.

I intend to travel around the last week in May, which I'm hoping should still be okay for passage birds and the weather should be fine for the 'holiday' aspect of the trip.

Still not settled yet on where to go, although we're currently erring towards the Costa Del Sol.

I'm actually half-tempted to head to Majorca on my own later on in the year for a long-weekend - Easyjet flights from Newcastle are quite cheap,

Thanks for the book advice - if I do decide upon the Costa Del Sol (which probably suits better in terms of weather at that time of year) than I shall indeed invest in a copy.

After all, I doubt it'll be my one & only trip to the area!!

Thanks, again.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back