• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (10 Viewers)

It's been a quiet week!

Not much going on other than a lovely drake goosander in the harbour on and off, and the lingering grey plover.

The plover is still around today, and there were 2 little gulls offshore. Spring has arrived this week too, with loads of skylarks singing, and my first linnets of the year around the allotments.

Lots of fulmar and a few gannet passing today in the strong winds, but not much else of note - the grey plover was still around. Nice to see so many folk out and about enjoying the dolphins!

Not much around yesterday, barring my first Kestrel and Redwing of the year. The Fridge is still present.

A bit of a sign of spring this morning with two Lesser Black-backed Gulls back on the harbourside rooftops.

Disappointing that they're addressing the litter problem - that's pretty much the only reason I go there ;). It could be good though - at least if the pools are the right depth and not too disturbed.

I would Imagine dog walkers shall scare the birds that do come In.Hopefully,I'm wrong.

Where shall you go for rarities like "The Fridge" and "Ladies Clothing" now Andrew ?

I would Imagine dog walkers shall scare the birds that do come In.Hopefully,I'm wrong.

Where shall you go for rarities like "The Fridge" and "Ladies Clothing" now Andrew ?

Fridges seem to frequent the main Girdle Ness area. It's defintely the main hotspot for shopping trolleys though. Not to mention the long-staying wheelchair.

Fridges seem to frequent the main Girdle Ness area. It's defintely the main hotspot for shopping trolleys though. Not to mention the long-staying wheelchair.

I may yet try for the wheelchair If as suggested,It's a long stayer.I take It,the shopping trolleys are just passing through "The Ness" ?

Probably the most notable bird today was a Collared Dove in the garden in the morning. A wander round the Ness was pleasant enough, with quite a few birds singing, but nothing to unexpected. Numbers of some birds are building up e.g. 13 Red-throated Divers, 4 Long-tailed Duck, 10 Common Scoter, 2 Red-breasted Mergansers. 140 Purple Sandpipers were roosting on Skate's Nose.

Things seem to be progressing fairly swiftly along Tullos Burn. One of the ponds seems to have already been dug. Looks a bit like a building site at the moment though!

The following has been in Greyhope Bay for a week or so now. Anyone care to offer an ID? Looks a bit like a tea urn or something for boiling water.

Attachments

• Object Girdle Ness.jpg
    Object Girdle Ness.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 49
Not much around in the way of birds today - but my first small tortoiseshell of the year was nice. You get the feeling that the first wheatear or chiffchaff will be around any day now...

A chiffchaff this morning along the railway embankment. You can still access this area along the path that runs to the south of the sewage works. You may not feel like twitching the chiffchaff but the pheasant that was there this morning might draw a crowd. Also 2 siskin overhead and there have been a pair of long-tailed tits on and off over the last couple of weeks. Please try and avoid the area that's being developed in Nigg bay as the security people don't like it when you go in there.

I didn't chance my arm with the security men today, but did have a stroll round the Ness nevertheless. I did at least pick up Mark's habit of seeing Snow Buntings in car parks, in my case four in Greyhope Bay. They seemed to be coming in to drink. Other stuff included 135 Purple Sandpipers, 7 Long-tailed Ducks, 2 Common Scoters, a Goosander and 8 Red-throated Divers.

An impressive fall produced what appeared to be the remains of a public convenience. Amongst commoner debris were two toilets, two sinks and a hand dryer. Quite something to get such an impressive movement so early in the season.

1. Snow Buntings
2. Sink
3. Toilet
4. Hand dryer
5. Someone doesn't want somebody else to drive into Walker Park.

Attachments

• Snow Bunting_Girdle Ness_210314a.jpg
    Snow Bunting_Girdle Ness_210314a.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Sink_Girdle Ness_210314a.jpg
    Sink_Girdle Ness_210314a.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Toilet_Girdle Ness_210314a.jpg
    Toilet_Girdle Ness_210314a.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Hand Dryer_Girdle Ness_210314a.jpg
    Hand Dryer_Girdle Ness_210314a.jpg