• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Great Tits have returned (1 Viewer)

So far they have been bringing in lots of moss I didn't see them in the nestbox before I headed to work but look forward seeing their progress when I come home.

Next door has been getting a pair of great tits they were first seen nesting there last year previous years blue tits had been useing the box so the diameter of the hole into the box must be a bit bigger than the normal sized hole, They have been both active again this april flying from my garden to their nesting box thou to see them carrying Any nesting material is not something I really see not like blue tits they seem a much discrete species when Doing so, I hope Euan you get good views of your nesting Great Tits look forward to hearing how they progress.

My Great Tit has laid eggs but not sure how many she has kept them well hidden. My parents noticed a egg last night but unfortunately I didn't.

‪ I spotted a egg last night in my Great Tit Nestbox but not sure how many. This year she has kept them well hidden whereas last year they were more visible. This year she's been out a lot more and only comes back tea time that's why she's buried them under moss.‬

Ooooh!!! Good luck to them all.... and you Euan.

Thanks for the update.

I don't think the sixth egg is going to hatch now, otherwise it would have hatched by now, it's a shame but all five chicks are doing well.

Got a bit of sad news . Two of The Great Tit chicks have died so now have three stronger chicks in the nestbox.

How'd this play out...curious to know what became of the dead chicks?

My Bewick's Wrens have had a couple years with only 3 chicks. In years past, they've had 5 or more.

This year, when cleaning their box after the 1st brood, I found a bleached out breast plate below the box in the weeds. No organic matter attached to the plate and no other bird parts or feathers in the area.

The plate was too big for a wren chick but it had me thinking.....if they had more than 3 chicks, the others dying off before fledging, what did they do with the dead chicks?

I've cleaned out sparrow boxes as well as nests built in fascias and soffits finding dead chicks and unhatched eggs buried under layers of old nests....defiantly not standing on ceremony.

Can't help to wonder why the wrens only had 3 chicks these past couple years....other than a young 1st year female laying eggs, I have nothing?

Last year when the 2nd brood died off there were 5 chicks. The 1st brood, which made it to fledging, only had 3.

You had a camera in your 2017 box, I'm hoping this year is the same and you can provide insight on how your Great Tits disposed of the chicks?

Thank you so much.

How'd this play out...curious to know what became of the dead chicks?

My Bewick's Wrens have had a couple years with only 3 chicks. In years past, they've had 5 or more.

This year, when cleaning their box after the 1st brood, I found a bleached out breast plate below the box in the weeds. No organic matter attached to the plate and no other bird parts or feathers in the area.

The plate was too big for a wren chick but it had me thinking.....if they had more than 3 chicks, the others dying off before fledging, what did they do with the dead chicks?

I've cleaned out sparrow boxes as well as nests built in fascias and soffits finding dead chicks and unhatched eggs buried under layers of old nests....defiantly not standing on ceremony.

Can't help to wonder why the wrens only had 3 chicks these past couple years....other than a young 1st year female laying eggs, I have nothing?

Last year when the 2nd brood died off there were 5 chicks. The 1st brood, which made it to fledging, only had 3.

You had a camera in your 2017 box, I'm hoping this year is the same and you can provide insight on how your Great Tits disposed of the chicks?

Thank you so much.

I think they were crushed to death or sufficication. The parents haven't actually disposed of them. The other chick passed away so have two chicks now. It is the same box last year.

I don't think I would live through having a nest box camera, it would be too stressful.

Hope your last two chicks make it out of the box.

Thanks for the info.

I'm sad to announce it's the end for The Great Tits in the nestbox. Found the last chick dead this morning it's a real shame as it was looking lively yesterday morning. I hope next year it will be more of a success for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back