• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2010 autumn Spoon-billed Sandpiper migration survey in Rudong (1 Viewer)

tongmenxiu

2010 autumn Spoon-billed Sandpiper migration survey start in mid August.
Cynthia, mcaribou and I will do almost all the field work from Aug.15 to Oct.30

First SBS was recrded by Shanghai birder in 8.August

Attachments

• 2010 autumn 1st spoon.jpg
    2010 autumn 1st spoon.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Low tide is not easy to find them, they almost appear on the flumine nata in high tide.

First week, everyday I recorded more than 4 SBS, Nordmann's Greenshanke and many Saunders's Gull

SBS in Breeding plumage
http://www.facebook.com/v/429109847907

Attachments

• DSCN2901.jpg
    DSCN2901.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN3059.jpg
    DSCN3059.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Only some forest bird :Arctic Warbler, Brown Shirk, Dark-side Flycatcher in the magic forest

Attachments

• _MG_2749.jpg
    _MG_2749.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 88
  • _MG_2856.jpg
    _MG_2856.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 71
Low tide, we need walk outside grassland, into the mud. Waders are busy finding food .

Attachments

• DSCN2766.jpg
    DSCN2766.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 81
  • _MG_2455.jpg
    _MG_2455.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN3094.jpg
    DSCN3094.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 88
When flooding tide, birds are going inside. five SBS are in the flock.

also Cythia find one nordmann's Greenshank in the flock!

Attachments

• _MG_2840.jpg
    _MG_2840.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3085.jpg
    DSCN3085.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 108
27 August

Today is high tide,also wheather is not good. I try to count out waterbird in another spot.

Big group!! More than 40000 wader and gull inside the Levee
It's a difficult job to find SBS in sleeping Group. I only got one breeding plumage SBS,but I think maybe more.

After ebbing tide, wader are return back flumine nata. The voice they fly by the levee sounds I can fly.

Attachments

• DSCN3259.jpg
    DSCN3259.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN3347.jpg
    DSCN3347.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3380.jpg
    DSCN3380.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 76
Last weekend, still recorded SBS and NG, also 1 bean goose.
Some forest bird were coming,such as cuckoo, flycather and wabler

Attachments

• DSCN3430.jpg
    DSCN3430.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN3466.jpg
    DSCN3466.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN3608.jpg
    DSCN3608.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 102
Last weekend (Sep. 4th and 5th). I went to Rudong to join Tongmenxiu and Cynthia. This is my second trip to Rudong (I went there last October).
Tong is my life-long friend and of course, a very good guide. It proved to be a very pleasant, and unforgettable journey.
The tide was low and we had to walk a long way to the sea. It's really not comfortable to walk under the sun, however, the reward is good.
We had three spoon-billed sandpipers, one in breeding plumage, one nonbreeding, and one juv.
Besides, we also spotted 8 nordmann's Greenshanks on Sunday!!! It's a lifer for me. And it's really worth the trip from Beijing.
However, I got a tiny accident on Saturday. On our way back, I got dizzy and stepped into the mud. It's really deep mud, above my knees. Tong menxiu had to pull me out. I bought him two icecream to show my thanks:-O
So do be careful of the mud, and of course the tide, if anyone is interested in going to Rudong birding.
It's really a fantastic trip, for the birds, and for the joy of meeting friends.
Also met mcaribou on Saturday. We talked a lot before online, but never met in person. It's a pity we didn't get the chance to talk more.
Next weekend the tide will be good, and it's easy for observation. Wish you guys good luck!

Attachments

• DSCN3850.jpg
    DSCN3850.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Last 2 week 4 typhoons attacked East China.
Between the typhoons, some few sunny day, still record 3-6 SBS, some have already show winter plumage.

More and more birds are coming, many cuckoos, flycatcher and wagtail.
Forest Wagtail
Eastern Yellow Wagtail
Eastern Crowned Warbler
Arctic Warbler
Pale-legged Warbler
Thick-billed Warbler
Black-browed Reed Warbler
Siberian Blue Robin
Blue-and-white Flycatcher
Yellow-rumped Flycatcher
Siberian Thrush
Blue Rock Thrush
Northern Hawk Cuckoo
Indian Cuckoo

Attachments

• DSCN3684.jpg
    DSCN3684.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back