• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with raptor ID (1 Viewer)

searobin

I am very inexperienced with identification of raptors and in fact this is the first time I was able to get close enough to get a picture. This bird wasn’t very shy so I am assuming a juvenile and maybe the reason why I can’t ID it.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1326_q (1).jpg
    IMG_1326_q (1).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1350_Q.jpg
    IMG_1350_Q.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1372_q.jpg
    IMG_1372_q.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 170
Brown Creeper said:
Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. Note the belly band, white chest, bulky shape and whitish patches on the back.
Thanks Brown Creeper. The white chest and the belly band was actually getting me confused,
Thanks again.

It looks as you have a Red-Tailed Hawk, and a juvenile. It has a white throat, so probably an Eastern RTH. Very nice pic!
JanJ

Last edited:
JANJ said:
It looks as you have a Red-Tailed Hawk, and a juvenile. It has a white throat, so probably an Easter RTH. Very nice pic!
JanJ

Thanks Jan, it is an Eastern bird. Picture was taken in New Jersey.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back