Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

China observations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 10th February 2010, 14:36   #76
Shi Jin

Hi Dong Bei (great name!).

Yes, it was very noisy indeed...

my report from that day (and photos) is here:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/2010birds12.html

From the previous day is here:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/2010birds11.html
Old Wednesday 10th February 2010, 14:38   #77
Shi Jin

I'm off to the Gaoligongshan and the Burma border for 10 days... so may not post for a while.

Fingers crossed for a few dream birds... ;-)
Old Wednesday 10th February 2010, 14:43   #78
Shi Jin

Sorry. meant to say, the next time anyone goes to the Lotus Hills, take a passport-size photo of yourself with you, you'll then be able to buy (at the north gate) a year's pass for 30RMB.

Reasonable value when you consider that the day ticket is 20RMB.

Cheers.
Old Wednesday 10th February 2010, 23:21   #79
Gretchen

Hey Shi Jin,

Thanks so much for the details on the birds on the mudflats as well as the stone park. The news on the park is great too! Wow better than two days entry fee!

Hope your travels go well!
Old Thursday 18th February 2010, 05:22   #80
Gretchen

Finally out and about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi Jin View Post
Gretchen, I sense that the Brown-eared Bulbuls have been there for a while (they twice flew across the road to the trees near the beach, and back again, suggesting they have a well-established feeding routine). So, if you fancy a twitch, I think that you have a very good chance of seeing them.
I've been thinking on this since Shi Jin wrote it, but really had an important project to finish - finally felt free enough today to go. Got to the park by public transport one route, and once there figured out that there was a better way back - just a 1/2 hour trip - yeah! Looks more doable for another time.

I saw the Chinese Grosbeaks and a brambling in a tree together just outside the park. It was confusing for a minute because the color schemes are a bit similar. Lost sight of the brambling but watched the grosbeaks a bit more. I think they were eating something a bit like maple seeds, but I'm not sure. Later I saw them on the ground, and could clearly tell it was a pair, male (dark hood) and female. I also got better views of (perhaps the same) brambling. A female, with a lighter colored head. She very patiently ate berries off a bush for quite a while so I could get pretty good views of her, but could also appreciate how cryptic her coloring was in the midst of winter colored branches.

In the park (and across the small street where there are berry bushes) I saw a Naumann's thrush - a really beautiful male - so orange! I didn't have a camera, and can't find pictures that look exactly like what I saw. The underside was extremely orange speckled (like this one but brighter), but the wings seemed to me to have a good deal of the same color, with black edging (I never saw the back, but the wings reminded me of this bird a bit more than Shi Jin's photo). The head seemed fairly dark, and I didn't really see a light brow at all, but a dark area behind the eye (again, like previous BF gallery photo). I was thankful for a lot of time to watch it - though most of the time it was up a bit high and in the shade, it came down on the ground briefly too. (Reminded me of an Am. robin!) Very happy sighting!

(I don't know very much about the variations in Naumann's Thrush, and don't know how likely it is that I would have seen the same one as Shi Jin saw, but it seemed to me to be different than your pic, Shi Jin.)

I also got to see a couple of Great Tits, which is nice because actually I've hardly seen one in ages. But I couldn't manage any of the other interesting tits Shi Jin saw. Heard a woodpecker drumming, but didn't chase it down as I was involved with other birds at that moment.

Had the usual suspects as well: Common and Red-billed Blue Magpies, and Chinese Bulbuls. I watched one of the Red-billed, as it had gotten some human food - a chunk of one of those crunchy-fried-noodle-glued-together-with-sugar things - taken it up and set it on a wide branch. He attacked it in several ways and managed to get off a small cherry sized piece to each. I worried for what it might do to his insides, but I guess they eat carrion.... He carried it off to another branch to keep working on it, but I don't know if he thought it was a big prize himself.

Early on when I got to the park I thought maybe I was hearing the noise of the brown-eared bulbuls, but they flew and a lot of other birds appeared at the same time. I wandered around an hour or so and wondered if they'd reappear or if I had imagined them. Finally just as I was getting ready to leave I heard an odd squeaking which I thought I should check out. Chinese bulbuls and Red-billed Blues both surprise me with some of their sounds, so I wasn't very optimistic. However, when I finally figured out the source of the sound (way up high) - it was a Brown-eared Bulbul! There may have been another which flew before I caught on to it, but the one stayed up working on the tree for quite a long while. (These were the trees outside the park in the lot next door, which unfortunately looks to be under construction - quite a few birds were up in those trees.) It wasn't a super close view, but I did get to see it quite a bit, and with a Chinese Bulbul or two passing by for comparison. I didn't see aggressive behaviour - except towards berries

A very nice holiday treat. Additionally, it was fairly quiet except for occasional fireworks (though car traffic got noisy whenever I tried to record calls ). I've forgotten how nice it is to be out when everyone else is enjoying the indoors (campus stays quiet another week - I should take advantage!). I'll see if any sound recordings of the bulbuls or thrush came up interesting, and post if they did.

Shi Jin - thanks so much for writing up your trip - it was a great help for me.

Cheers!
Gretchen
Old Thursday 18th February 2010, 13:34   #81
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Great to see you having some success in Qinhuangdao Gretchen - I envy yo that Brow-eared Bulbul, and Grosbeaks are always a a treat!

Cheers
Mike

Hong Kong: House Sparrow, Ultramarine Flycatcher, Rufous-faced Warbler (467)
Greater China: Franklin's Gull, Buff-breasted Sandpiper (961)
Lifer: Syrian Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker
Old Sunday 21st February 2010, 09:48   #82
Shi Jin

Hi Gretchen

I'm Just back from 10 days in western Yunnan.

Pleased that the north has warmed up a lot since I left.

I'm delighted that you managed to get the hat-trick!

(brown-eared bulbul, chinese grosbeak, and naumann's).

Super stuff.

Getting near to crane time...

I'll be watching the weather charts and will come over to Beidaihe for a few days when it looks promising.

Cheers!
Old Sunday 21st February 2010, 12:43   #83
Gretchen

Cheers Mike and Shi Jin - it was a good trip!

I had a longer but less exciting time at the sandflats this morning. I thought it would be less muddy while things were still frozen (which they were despite suddenly warmer air). I still didn't have a lot of luck in the reedbeds - lots of unidentified buntings, though in the end with looking at the book, I decided some of them were Pallas' Reed Buntings (and also noted that that is what Shi Jin had seen). Seemed like there were other lighter colored (larger?) ones too, but....

I did flush a female pheasant which I didn't quite expect in that area. Later across the street I also flushed a Grey-headed woodpecker - so I mostly saw the backs of several birds today! (By the way, the dam is completely gone, with two smaller earthen ones holding back water from each direction now. They may be getting ready to put in a new dam a bit further back from the road, but that's just a guess!)

My highlight for a quiet day came just as I was getting bored waiting for the bus and started walking, I saw a bird that seemed suspended in air! It was there such a long time I kept thinking it was something caught on a wire, but as I got closer, it was certainly a bird. I got several decent views, and its nondescript brownish back and slightly barred white tail makes me think it was a female Kestrel - my first time to see one so well, and especially to see both perching and flying. The wind was pretty fierce, and I didn't see her dive directly down after hovering, nor see her catch anything, but quite nice.

PS Forgot my question. I was watching the dozens of magpies and noticed a bit of their behavior with the sparrows/small birds. The sparrows seemed to give them a wide berth at one point, and I also noticed the magpies dropping in the reeds a lot. However, they don't actually prey on those small birds, do they?

Last edited by Gretchen : Sunday 21st February 2010 at 12:52. Reason: add question
Old Sunday 21st February 2010, 12:50   #84
Gretchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dong Bei View Post
hopefully we will get out for a few trips. Must be a lot of ducks somewhere other than their usual places. Here's to the arrival of spring migration!
Had any luck? I do know how the cold and the few and far between birds can be non-encouraging. Hope you've found some of the hardy birds!
Old Monday 22nd February 2010, 02:35   #85
mcaribou
Migration coming

back to Shanghai and took a ferry to some islands in Zhejiang incl. Huaniao Lighthouse built in 1870.Not many seabirds-only two possible Pelagic Cormorant,a few Great Cormorant and Oystercatcher.
Happy to see that Collared Crow still live a happy life on these islands.
Another goodies are a family of Rook,and one Japanese Waxwing.
Old Wednesday 24th February 2010, 01:27   #86
Dong Bei
Tom

Wierd weather the past few days. I have been out in the last few weeks and found some Saunder's Gulls in the area with nice pics. Also many White-tailed Eagles on the sea ice. Took a trip to Wafandian to the crane wintering grounds to find absolutely no cranes in sight. There were 6 Oriental Stork there which was nice but I think it was too cold for the cranes there this winter or maybe I was too late in the year? The river there that usually has some goodies was completely frozen solid (It's usually quite a fast river). From there went to Pikou hoping for anything but only a few Mongolian gulls and the others. There's a nice group of Falcated Ducks and Wigeon wintering among the Shelducks right in my bay at the moment which are providing good photo opportunities if nothing else. Still waiting for spring but there is more cold on the way. I guess it's only February.

I highly doubt the magpies are preying on the sparrows but I'm sure the hovering Kestrel had his/her eye on one!

my photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/thbeeke/ if anyone is interested in the pics mentioned above.

Tom
Old Wednesday 3rd March 2010, 02:43   #87
mcaribou
Migration coming

Back from Poyang Lake.Most of the wintering birds are still there,with two banded Swan Goose from Mongolia.
Spring birds--Grey-headed Lapwing and Garganey arrived.
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 07:48   #88
Gretchen

Winds and migration

MCaribou, great to hear that migration is underway. (It would be more underway here if I got outside to look for it ).

I started thinking about choosing birding times/places by wind direction a bit in the fall, and am wondering how to plan now in the spring. Here on the coast, I guess that southerly winds would be friendly for migrants, whereas north winds would tend to stop their progress? - this may be too simple? Does anyone have advice on how birds migrating through here are likely to be affected by various winds?

Thanks!
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 08:53   #89
Shi Jin

Hi Gretchen

I've been birding in Beidaihe every spring for the past 16 years and I still struggle to work out what's going on with the weather (or with the tides for that matter). What I do know is that, in May at least, if the weather is okay in Shandong, then birds will cross the Bohai. If they hit poor weather then they will "fall" across a broad section of the Hebei coast (most visibly on Happy Island, the mainland woods opposite there, the Magic Wood at Nandaihe, and various hot spots in Beidaihe). Northerly and easterly winds do indeed hold up migration. And "rushes" can be expected when these cease. The best week in May (as far as I am concerned) is May 8th to 14th. Best 10 days May 7th to 16th. Best 14 days: May 6th to 19th. Best 20 days May 5th to 24th. Best Day is May 14th (In 2005, I saw 142 species on that date in the Beidaihe area, including a Cinnamon Bittern at the reservoir).

The returning cranes, however, do not cross the Bohai, but go around the coast. Windless, or light tail winds are their preferred flying conditions. Obviously, the rate of their northerly progress depends on the conditions at their staging points (temperature, wind, food).

I'll be down at the end of March to try my luck - exactly when depends on the weather to the south-south-west (red-crowned and hooded cranes) and south-west (siberian, white-naped, and hooded) the week or so before.

The attached PDF may be of interest.

http://www.orientalbirdclub.org/publ...ris-Cranes.pdf

Last edited by Shi Jin : Monday 15th March 2010 at 09:29.
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 09:18   #90
Gretchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi Jin View Post
What I do know is that, in May at least, if the weather is okay in Shandong, then birds will cross the Bohai. If they hit poor weather then they will "fall" across a broad section of the Hebei coast (most visibly on Happy Island, the mainland woods opposite there, the Magic Wood at Nandaihe, and various hot spots in Beidaihe). Northerly and easterly winds do indeed hold up migration. And "rushes" can be expected when these cease.
Shi Jin, so you mean you think that the passerines would most like to go from Shandong directly to Dalian peninsula if the weather is good, and we only get particularly good sightings here if the weather is less ideal? I hadn't understood about the "fall" coming because they are driven in-land (to Beidaihe coast), but that makes sense. (I sort of pictured them just being forced down to land that they were flying over already.)

Thanks for the crane paper too!

Gretchen
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 10:07   #91
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Hi Gretchen, Shi Jin

To add to what Shi Jin has said (and I don't understand the tidal systems either despite more than a decade trying to work it out). Certainly agree with the 'best of period' and I reckon I've had a few 'monsters' around the 13-14-15, so that must be good for the unexpected overshoots. A south-easterly bias with a bit of rain or poor weather and your in for some goodies,
For Birds of Prey and Needletails, you ideally want a northerly based wind as they prefer this to head into and give them lift. An ideal watchpoint for these would of of course be high ground, which they head for and Lotus Hills is good for visible migration and I guess time wise, the period between 10am and 3pm optimum.
Interesting that the cranes prefer a tail-wind in the Spring, I've no experience of this though have witnessed them more often move with tail-winds in the Autumn despite quite a lot of observations showing they will move on head winds, also presumably to give lift.
Good luck with the cranes Shi Jin, I look forward to reading about some good success. I thought Wild Duck Lake had potential in the Spring and I wonder whether Tian Ma Hu - Heaven Horse Lake, or Pegasus Lake offers possibilities?

Mark
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 13:12   #92
Dong Bei
Tom

Pallas's Gull in Dalian (Jinzhou Bay)

The Pallas's was first found by Brian Jones from Beijing a few weeks ago and relocated by Bai (from Dandong) and myself last Sat. morning. This on a day when we also had one Little Gull, one Glaucous, and breeding Saunders. 11 Gull species total for one morning. I have attached some horrible pics taken through a scope of the Pallas's and also one long distance shot of the Glaucous. Bai has excellent shots of the Little Gull. We also had many other things that day including the first of season Wagtails (you know what that means)

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pallas's Gull.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	248104  Click image for larger version

Name:	Glaucous Gull.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	248105  
Old Monday 15th March 2010, 14:24   #93
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

A terrific spread of gulls Tom.

Has Bai posted pix of the Little Gull anywhere? - I'd love to see them - still need it for HK and it's a bit of a mega anywhere in China!

Cheers
Mike

Hong Kong: House Sparrow, Ultramarine Flycatcher, Rufous-faced Warbler (467)
Greater China: Franklin's Gull, Buff-breasted Sandpiper (961)
Lifer: Syrian Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 09:09   #94
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Shi Jin/Gretchen,

FYI - 40 Common Cranes on the ground at Qilihai on 13th March (Could be good for other species on the northward push) and yesterday 30 Siberian Cranes north over Beidaihe plus 1 Whooper Swan, Saunder's and Relict Gulls on the Sandflats.
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 12:21   #95
mcaribou
Migration coming

Black-faced Spoonbill,Eastern Curlew are passing Shanghai-Rudong.
I even saw 20 Hawfinch in Rudong last weekend,a new bird in my Rudong list.

Oriental Plover has arrived at Fuzhou,and will soon reach Shanghai and Beijing?
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 12:26   #96
mcaribou
Migration coming

Last April I sat at the easternmost corner of Shangdong,waiting for migrating seabirds.But actually not many,just Black-tailed Gull,a common breeder which has laid eggs in early Apr.

I did see a lot of passerines flying low over the sea--the only one I could id was Brambling.
And I saw flock and flock of a kind of whale swimming northward--probably Finless Porpoise.
And one Spotted Seal:)
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 12:46   #97
Gretchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaribou View Post
Last April I sat at the easternmost corner of Shangdong,waiting for migrating seabirds.But actually not many,just Black-tailed Gull,a common breeder which has laid eggs in early Apr.

I did see a lot of passerines flying low over the sea--the only one I could id was Brambling.
Thanks MCaribou, for that helpful observation! So you saw the passerines were flying over the sea as Shi Jin explained.

Rockfowl, thanks for the details on wind directions with various types of birds - that helps me think about choosing viewing points based on wind! Wow also on the up-to-date crane news - can we ask about your sources? (i.e. local or visitors?)

Last edited by Gretchen : Tuesday 16th March 2010 at 12:50.
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 13:55   #98
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Thanks MCaribou, for that helpful observation! So you saw the passerines were flying over the sea as Shi Jin explained.

Rockfowl, thanks for the details on wind directions with various types of birds - that helps me think about choosing viewing points based on wind! Wow also on the up-to-date crane news - can we ask about your sources? (i.e. local or visitors?)
Both, some of our Autumn Cranewatch Team
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 23:17   #99
Dong Bei
Tom

Got out yesterday for a quick 1.5 hour tour of the area. Still a lot of ice around but it was above zero in the afternoon. The first few non-wintering ducks have arrived. Pintail, Garganey, Common Pochards, Whooper Swans, and the others. Garganey is one that I see every year but not common. Also the first Grey Heron of the season who was flying around looking for open water. Also there were 2 Eastern Marsh Harriers around and a Eurasian Sparrowhawk. 25 species in all. Nice to see some birds moving. Winter birding around here is good but it's time for a change.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Common Pochard 737.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	248420  Click image for larger version

Name:	Garganey 752.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	248421  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pintail 81.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	248422  
Old Sunday 21st March 2010, 13:03   #100
mcaribou
Migration coming

today birds in coastal Shanghai include 50+ Reed Parrotbill,160+Chinese Penduline Tit,8 Japanese Swamp Warbler displaying,1 Common Starling in breeding plumage,1 male Japanese Reed Bunting,1 Manchurian Bush Warbler,1 Bluethroat,5 Red-throated Loon,2 Great Bittern heard,1 Fork-tailed Swift.....and many spring migrants.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: