Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Vintage Binoculars

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 12th September 2011, 22:04   #51
Nickgas

Polar bins

Anyone heard of this make of bins? Any thoughts on them if you have?
Old Tuesday 13th September 2011, 03:58   #52
LPT

It seems to me these show up on eBay from time to time. If later 1940's - 80's manufacture (mostly Porro I) they're probably Japanese, and if they look more modern (mostly roof prism) they're probably of Chinese manufacture.They don't appear on my listing of older Japanese binoculars, but that list isn't comprehensive. My guess is their quality is at the best average. It might help if you sent a picture.
Old Sunday 13th November 2011, 03:43   #53
LPT

Additions to Vintage Binocular Collection

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on July 31, 2011:

1) Emil Busch cxn D.F. 10x80 45 degrees (flak glass)
2) Hensoldt Wetzlar Dialyt 10X50
3) Japanese WW II Naval 7X50 (Manufacturer is “NLK”)
4) Leitz beh Kriegsmarine (type iii - rubber armoured) 7X50
5) Leitz Canada (ELCAN) 7X50 Military Model
6) Leitz Wetzlar Binuxit 8X30
7) NIFE Stockholm 7X50
8) San Giorgio Genova-Sestri ESA 6X30
9) Zeiss West Germany 7X50 B/GA T*

I would appreciate any comments, further information or corrections the members of this forum could provide about these binoculars and my descriptions of them.

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture. To date, 77 REL 7X50 binoculars have been catalogued of which 9 are BOP filter modified. This database can be viewed here:http://home.europa.com/~telscope/tem...50.Lagorio.pdf

Once again, thanks to members of this and other forums who have provided new information about the binoculars in the collection.

The new binoculars can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwp...112204/detail/

The entire collection including additions can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwp...405689/detail/
Old Sunday 13th November 2011, 11:06   #54
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello LPT,

You are requesting quite a bit, so I will write only a little about the Binuxit. It was produced from 1927 to 1962. Post WWII models, serial numbers above about 480000, were coated. Some of the older ones exhibited a rather warm colouring, due to aging of the Canadian balsam. I have an example from 1952, which shows this. I have seen one a few years older, which did not.

Happy collecting,
Arthur Pinewood
Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 19:25   #55
LPT

Additions to Vintage Binocular Collection

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on November 12, 2011:

1) Bausch & Lomb (Rochester made) Zephyr 7X35
2) Emil Busch cxn Dienstglas 6X30
3) Goerz Trieder Binocle "Pernox" 6X30
4) Kern AARAU Focalpin 10 10X60
5) Kern AARAU Pizar 8X30 AR
6) Ross Stepmur 10X50
7) Carl Zeiss Jena blc U-Boat 3rd model 7X50
8) Zeiss West Germany Dialyt 7X42 B/GA T*P ClassiC
9) Zeiss 10X56B T*P* Design Selection “Night Owl”

I would appreciate any comments, further information or corrections the members of this forum could provide about these binoculars and my descriptions of them.

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture. To date, 93 REL 7X50 binoculars have been catalogued of which 11 are BOP filter modified. This database can be viewed here:http://home.europa.com/~telscope/tem...50.Lagorio.pdf .

Once again, thanks to members of this and other forums who have provided new information about the binoculars in the collection.

The new binoculars can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwp...769179/detail/

The entire collection including additions can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwp...405689/detail/

Last edited by LPT : Friday 2nd March 2012 at 19:31.
Old Friday 2nd March 2012, 19:51   #56
henry link

Wow, beautiful U-Boat binoculars! They look new. Internal focusing is just like the Leitz Trinovid.

I notice that the 10x60 Focalpin uses a wider field eyepiece than the 7x50. Looks like that eyepiece installed on the 7x50 body might make something like an 8x50 with a 57 AFOV.

Henry
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 04:34   #57
ronh

LPT,
View 2 of the Focalpin, revealing the origin of the odd name, is appreciated. I guess they let engineers name things back then.

Wondrous, the U-Boat! The coatings look amazingly modern.

Thank you for sharing your collection like this.
Ron
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 14:12   #58
LPT

Henry - Yes, like the Trinovid. I hadn't thought of it but most internally focusing binoculars focus by moving an objective lens not an ocular. Are there any being made today that use an ocular for internal focusing?

Ron - The red coatings have really got me stumped. I am trying to find out how they differ (other than color) from the regular blue ones. Performance-wise the ones on my U-Boat are very good - bright and almost color neutral (ever so slightly warm). I have been able to learn that they are definitely a late-war (1944/45) coating. They may be an early multi-coating. They may have been intended to be harder than the previous coatings (how successfully is open to debate) which the U-Boat binocular bears out because its lenses are coated externally as well as internally while some other German WWII binoculars I have (2 beh Porro II 7X50's) appear to have only interior coatings.
Old Saturday 10th March 2012, 19:54   #59
Renze de Vries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh View Post
View 2 of the Focalpin, revealing the origin of the odd name, is appreciated. I guess they let engineers name things back then.
Ron,

I seem to remember you came up with this suggestion already in the Focalpin thread. Then I thought you were joking (nice association BTW) but now you're repeating it I'm not so sure about it anymore. But maybe you still are?

OK, consider this. Switzerland is a country full of rocks of considerable height. They're called mountains or alps and walking and climbing them is called alpinism. Kern made several binocular models, one of them called Alpin.
So the Focalpin is...

Renze
Old Saturday 10th March 2012, 22:27   #60
LPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renze de Vries View Post
Ron,

I seem to remember you came up with this suggestion already in the Focalpin thread. Then I thought you were joking (nice association BTW) but now you're repeating it I'm not so sure about it anymore. But maybe you still are?

OK, consider this. Switzerland is a country full of rocks of considerable height. They're called mountains or alps and walking and climbing them is called alpinism. Kern made several binocular models, one of them called Alpin.
So the Focalpin is...

Renze
I first thought the name was an obvious reference to the Alps. Then Ron's comment convinced me otherwise - after all the binocular does have two "focal pins". Now Rene points out that Kern had other models called Alpin...
Could the name have been intended to have two meanings?
Old Sunday 11th March 2012, 01:41   #61
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPT View Post
I first thought the name was an obvious reference to the Alps. Then Ron's comment convinced me otherwise - after all the binocular does have two "focal pins". Now Rene points out that Kern had other models called Alpin...
Could the name have been intended to have two meanings?
Hello LPT,

Are you suggesting that the Swiss like to pun?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Old Sunday 11th March 2012, 06:04   #62
Renze de Vries

I'm not aware of any comedians originating from Switzerland. Of course we can't rule out their existence but then they haven't crossed the Swiss border yet.

With respect to engineers possibly having been allowed to name models, I wouldn't expect them to see pins in the Focalpin's focusing mechanism. Engineers are usually more concerned with function than looks and so I think they would call them levers.

Lastly, in Kern's binoculars line-up a tendency for wordplay around the alp motive is very obvious. Next to the 8x30 Alpin Stereo there are

6x30 Alpin Lux
6x24 Alpin 160
12x50 Alpin Super
8x24 Alpar
8x18 Alpico

Renze
Old Sunday 1st April 2012, 21:56   #63
schooner

Hello all. I found this forum trying to find out some info on a pair of binos I bought at a flea market. They are made by Kershaw and are marked 10x36 extra wide angle, Bisley, the serial no' is 9087. The inside of the case is marked A.F Godfrey, Anglo-Egyptian Oilfi (the rest has worn away) Suez, Egypt. Is there a record somewhere of Kershaw dates of manufacture?
Thanks,
Schooner.
Old Monday 2nd April 2012, 00:13   #64
LPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post
Hello all. I found this forum trying to find out some info on a pair of binos I bought at a flea market. They are made by Kershaw and are marked 10x36 extra wide angle, Bisley, the serial no' is 9087. The inside of the case is marked A.F Godfrey, Anglo-Egyptian Oilfi (the rest has worn away) Suez, Egypt. Is there a record somewhere of Kershaw dates of manufacture?
Thanks,
Schooner.
See this link of a page from a 1930's Kershaw catalog: http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwp...5689/lightbox/
The 10X36 Bisley appears #8 in the listing of Wide Angle Models. This is a rarely seen Kershaw which was probably made only during the 1930's and maybe later 1920's. I am very sure it was no longer made after WWII. There is no database of these Kershaw serial numbers that I know about.
Old Monday 2nd April 2012, 01:07   #65
schooner

Thank you LPT. If these are of interest to you I will put up some photos when I get home from work.
Old Monday 2nd April 2012, 02:49   #66
LPT

Quote:
Thank you LPT. If these are of interest to you I will put up some photos when I get home from work.
Please do put up some photos - I and some other collectors (Simon!) would love to see them. I just looked at another Kershaw catalog which isn't posted online and it seems the Bisley wasn't available in 1926 but was in 1930. So it appears to have been introduced between those years and most likely discontinued along with other civilian binoculars shortly after the outbreak of war. I also should have mentioned that Kershaw made fine binoculars and I think you have a well-made and collectable 10X. A 7 degree FOV for a 10X is quite impressive at that time as well as today.
Old Monday 2nd April 2012, 03:09   #67
ceasar

Quote:
Thanks,
Schooner.

Anglo-Egyptian Oilfields Ltd. (AEO) (50% Shell - 50% BP) discovered oil in 1913 in Egypt south of Suez. See paragraph 6 in the link below for more of their history. They were in business at least until 1961-1964 when they were nationalized.

http://www.egyptoil-gas.com/read_art...es.php?AID=463

So now you know where they were used too!

And welcome to Bird Forum!

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 2nd April 2012 at 05:47.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 00:19   #68
schooner

Morning Gents,
I'm having issues posting photos, what email can I send them to via my phone?
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 12:36   #69
LPT

Quote:
Morning Gents,
I'm having issues posting photos, what email can I send them to via my phone?
Schooner sent me the pictures attached to an email. Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	377067  Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	377068  Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	377069  Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	273
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	377070  
Old Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 12:42   #70
LPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPT View Post
Schooner sent me the pictures attached to an email. Here they are.
One more:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	377071  
Old Wednesday 4th April 2012, 03:27   #71
schooner

Thank you LPT. As you can see I'm not much good at photgraphy as well.
Old Thursday 5th April 2012, 06:45   #72
ceasar

They are Center Focus. When did that start to become common?

Bob

Old Thursday 5th April 2012, 11:25   #73
Renze de Vries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
They are Center Focus. When did that start to become common?

Bob

19th century

Renze
Old Thursday 5th April 2012, 13:08   #74
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renze de Vries View Post
19th century

Renze
That soon?

Bob

Old Thursday 5th April 2012, 14:20   #75
Renze de Vries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
That soon?

Bob
Back then some really strange things were happening. Birders going about with shotguns and opera fans aiming their CF bins on birds of the human race. You should have been there man.

Renze
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: