• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small mystery raptor SE VT (1 Viewer)

hbreder

Yesterday when walking long a river trail a small (about crow size) raptor flew low overhead: compact solid medium brown underside and solid black tail with white band at the end. Shortly after a Belted Kingfisher shot from the trees on a mid-stream island and took off with loud alarm cries. I checked my Sibley's but can't find anything that resembles this.

Yesterday when walking long a river trail a small (about crow size) raptor flew low overhead: compact solid medium brown underside and solid black tail with white band at the end. Shortly after a Belted Kingfisher shot from the trees on a mid-stream island and took off with loud alarm cries. I checked my Sibley's but can't find anything that resembles this.

Anything like this?...Broad-winged Hawk?

Attachments

• Broad-tailed Hawk.jpg
    Broad-tailed Hawk.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 38

Anything like this...Broad-winged Hawk?

Thanks, but it doesn't fit either of those. The tail was solid black with white tip - not as I stated white terminal band. I got a really good look at it. was surprised that I didn't see bands in the tail. Maybe it was an exotic escapee of some kind?

Sorry to confuse you. It's the same, just that white tips is more descriptive. Terminal to me suggests that there is more than one band and that the terminal one is white.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back