• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help 8x42 roof ~$300 (1 Viewer)

elkhorn98

Please give me your thoughts on the following binocs

Audubon Equinox HP 8x42 out 5/1
Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42
Alpen Apex 8x42
Swift 828 HHS 8.5x44
Swift Ultralite 929 8x42 New
Sightron SIII 8x42

As you can see I am looking for a decent roof that is phase corrected, lightweight, twist up eye cups, waterproof, for $250 to $330. Which one would you get?? Thanks.

Last edited:
Being the same bin in different wrappers, it is up to your subjective opinion. Of the list I would probably pick the Swift 828 HHS because of the extra 2mm (adds about 9% surface area per lens, nothuing to sneeze at) and the extra .5x (about 6% more detail delivered to the eye). Second maybe a tie between the Equinox with its nice handling (to me) and the Nikon (good name recognition and light weight). I would not look twice at the Alpen as the company has never impressed me, they seem to put their badge on the bin and do nothing else to distinguish them from anyone who has an established line. The Ultralights across the board have been dissapointing since the redesign, since Henry died the company is losing ground, the new designs are not optically "special" like we expect from Swift, and they spent their R&D making them marketable to an audience who buys on looks without improving the optics (if not going a step back optically). I have no experience with the Sightrons.

elkhorn98 said:

Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42
Alpen Apex 8x42
Swift 828 HHS 8.5x44
Sightron SIII 8x42

As you can see I am looking for a decent roof that is phase corrected, lightweight, twist up eye cups, waterproof, for $250 to $330. Which one would you get?? Thanks.

You might want to consider Leupold's Wind River Pinnacles, I purchased the 10x42 and am impressed. I think the 8x42's are near your price range. Here is my brief review of the 10x42's:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=31995

Jaeger

Jaeger01 said:
You might want to consider Leupold's Wind River Pinnacles, I purchased the 10x42 and am impressed. I think the 8x42's are near your price range. Here is my brief review of the 10x42's:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=31995

Jaeger

Pinnacle are also the same bins inside. Beware Leupold however, as they have taken to substituting BK-7 prism elements in glasses costing several hunderd dollars and trying to pass them off as better because of what they call L-coat.

elkhorn98 said:

Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42
Alpen Apex 8x42
Swift 828 HHS 8.5x44
Sightron SIII 8x42

I have had a pair of Celestron 8x42 Nobles (original phase coated prisms) and am happy with them.

Eagle optics offers a good selection of what appear to be clones with slightly different features. All waterproof w.phase coated prisms. Pretty hard to go wrong with EO and they will give you the straight scoop on what they think is best for your needs.

I have the swift 929 but do not have much experience with binoculars. They are phase coated, fast focusing, 6.6' close focus,waterproof comfortable to hold and have a bright image. fov 330'. I notice though that the sharpness of images viewed seems to vary from great to just o.k. depending on conditions and that getting the perfect focus takes some fussing. I wish I had never heard of all these fancy binoculars because I used to just by a pair of binoculars(porros) and they would work great untill I left them in the hot sun and melted them. Now it seems I spend too much time analyzing the view I get. Even when I look through swaros I don't see what the big deal is. I'd love to have the perfect binoculars if such a thing existed.

Last edited:
I think if you go with the 828 you will be satisfied. If you had an extra $50 I would recommend taking a look at the Bushnell Discoverer 7x42. You might balk at the 7x, but you get a wider field and a longer depth of focus. A narrow range of what is in focus is common in roofs at this range, the 7x will help expand it a little. Whem this bin was under the Bausch & Lomb name it was highly regarded.

Thanks for the replys. I went with the Swift 828 HHS 8.5x44. I got them on Friday and am happy so far. Very good handling, lightweight, waterproof, clear, bright, etc. The only thing is the focus seems a little slow but I guess you don't want it too fast. I think I can get use to it.

Good call. Though it nay not seem like much, 2mm more diameter equates to something like 9%more surface area in this case. Combine that iwth the extra .5 magnification and the performance of the configuration is more that would be expected. I prefer a focues on the slow side compared to too fast, nothing is worse than constanly focues in and out of a bird because the knob has no fine control.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back